IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-16, 07:02 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i wonder if these side bolsters are able to be installed in the '14-'16 models.
Likely yes, but you'd need the nuluxe bolsters and a new audio/climate plate at a minimum and I'm not sure if you can get the plate separately as I've never disassembled a 3IS head unit like I have my 2IS. Looks to be a whole piece

Old 04-28-16, 07:12 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Likely yes, but you'd need the nuluxe bolsters and a new audio/climate plate at a minimum and I'm not sure if you can get the plate separately as I've never disassembled a 3IS head unit like I have my 2IS. Looks to be a whole piece

damnit....
Old 04-28-16, 07:34 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
All this stuff is minor but helps 'tailor' the cabin a bit more. Take a look again at the two pictures, the plate no longer extends over the nuluxe material near the knees giving a taught look. The Naguri Aluminum has made it's way from the GS F-Sport. New 10.3" screen. New 'ENTER' buttons on Remote Touch as well as more padding on the wrist rest. Cupholder change. Steering wheel buttons now have the chrome touches like the RC has had since it's inception. Safety System+ now available. Again they are little things but it helps give a slightly more premium feel. Now if they would add back the damn sunglasses holder already...
Ok I think I see the difference, so the 2017 a/c plate and audio plate is actually embedded inside the side bolsters creating a more polished/premium look vs the prior yrs that have the a/c and audio plate that sticks over the knee bolsters the plate is designed totally different now. I also see now they used the brushed look of the bottom where the ML plate is and carried that brushed look to the a/c and audio area to match instead of just the matte black. I really like the updated look better in this respect.

I still don't like that dead empty space where the heated/ventilation switches were, there needs to be something there.
Old 04-28-16, 07:56 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I still don't see what's changed in these pics other than the heated seats switch for the driver and passenger are gone, everything else looks the same, the ML plate is still on both before and after in the same place.
Put up pictures of both before and after and it's like playing Spot the difference game. Other than the bigger screen the changes are very minor. Maybe somebody can help find the other differences.

Old 04-28-16, 08:00 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by gregerst
Put up pictures of both before and after and it's like playing Spot the difference game. Other than the bigger screen the changes are very minor. Maybe somebody can help find the other differences.

Differences inside looks very minimal.. except for the larger screen. And now maybe a phone can fit in the cup holders!
Old 04-28-16, 09:15 PM
donstello
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

before and after pic...

i dunno, i like before exterior

interior, only selling point is the screen
Attached Thumbnails Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS-gallery16_x.jpg   Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS-2017-lexus-is-6fl.jpg   Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS-gallery4_x.jpg   Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS-2017-lexus-is-9fl.jpg   Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS-gallery3_x.jpg  

Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS-2017-lexus-is-2fl.jpg  
Old 04-28-16, 09:17 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

the air vents have also been revised. that's the only other aspect glaring out at me not circled.
Old 04-29-16, 04:52 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

the air vents have also been revised. that's the only other aspect glaring out at me not circled.
The front was already a bold look but now with the revised air vents on the side just overdo the bold look like they went over the top, why?
Old 04-29-16, 05:29 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
The front was already a bold look but now with the revised air vents on the side just overdo the bold look like they went over the top, why?
those, too, but i was talking about the interior hvac vents.
Old 04-29-16, 05:46 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I believe the analog clock face is different as well. Also not circled is the new RTI with the enter buttons and padded rest.
Old 04-29-16, 07:58 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

those, too, but i was talking about the interior hvac vents.
Yeah there is less chrome around the a/c vents on the 2017.

I want to see a closer pic of what the heated/ventilated seat controls look like in the knee bolster area it's hard to see them in these released pics.
Old 04-29-16, 10:26 AM
Icealicy
Driver School Candidate

So I've been keeping up with the thread upon initially commenting earlier on. So far from the comments here and else where I mostly get a negative vibe for the refresh. I'm actually in the market for a new vehicle by the end of this year and the Lexus IS is something that I am looking at. I know people are comparing the Lexus IS 3 vs 3.5. I don't have a 3IS, but some things I'm dissapointed in with the 3.5 is the engine still remaining at 306 HP. I thought they would increase that, but overall I like the design of the car atleast in the pictures. Sure the air intake in the front may just be too big, but I'd have to see it in real life. I don't know what to think of the taillights in this case the actual light how it curves downward. I don't know if I will like that. Otherwise my main consideration for the IS is RELIABILITY! Coming from a BMW X3 which is very non-reliable I am excited to look into Lexus. Reading comments makes me feel as if I should consider another car... Of course, I will myself look at this car in real life and draw my own conclusions, but it's always nice to hear different perspectives.
Old 04-29-16, 10:34 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Icealicy
I'm actually in the market for a new vehicle by the end of this year
By the end of this year there will still be plenty of 2016 models on dealers lots.
Old 04-29-16, 10:45 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Icealicy
So I've been keeping up with the thread upon initially commenting earlier on. So far from the comments here and else where I mostly get a negative vibe for the refresh. I'm actually in the market for a new vehicle by the end of this year and the Lexus IS is something that I am looking at. I know people are comparing the Lexus IS 3 vs 3.5. I don't have a 3IS, but some things I'm dissapointed in with the 3.5 is the engine still remaining at 306 HP. I thought they would increase that, but overall I like the design of the car atleast in the pictures. Sure the air intake in the front may just be too big, but I'd have to see it in real life. I don't know what to think of the taillights in this case the actual light how it curves downward. I don't know if I will like that. Otherwise my main consideration for the IS is RELIABILITY! Coming from a BMW X3 which is very non-reliable I am excited to look into Lexus. Reading comments makes me feel as if I should consider another car... Of course, I will myself look at this car in real life and draw my own conclusions, but it's always nice to hear different perspectives.
I read comments on the BMW forums and all I see is a bunch of crap going wrong with the car and people making excuses and saying its the price they pay for the experience Test drive the 3 series and then an IS350 F-sport back to back (make sure its in Sport + mode). The IS350 handles better but the 340 is faster. Also look at the new S4 coming out... that thing will be a beast!
Old 04-29-16, 11:01 AM
Icealicy
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by EZZ
I read comments on the BMW forums and all I see is a bunch of crap going wrong with the car and people making excuses and saying its the price they pay for the experience Test drive the 3 series and then an IS350 F-sport back to back (make sure its in Sport + mode). The IS350 handles better but the 340 is faster. Also look at the new S4 coming out... that thing will be a beast!
I hear what you're saying. I currently drive a BMW X3. I am in fact like I said looking for reliability. I know that the A4/S4 is going to come out and I was actually looking into that. I was also looking into the new A5 spore back that will be coming out next year according to sources here in the US. However I've sort of come to the conclusion that I want to buy my next vehicle and I want something reliable. German cars as far as my experience goes have not been reliable at all. This is why I am looking to purchase a Lexus. I am just wondering what people think of the 3.5 that do not currently own a Lexus IS? I think the comparisons that are being drawn between the two cars from current owners is leading me to think that the refresh was in a sense not adequate in the car just does not look as good anymore. I still wonder if the current owners if they did not own a Lexus would still buy the 2017 model?

Quick Reply: Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS