Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 05-01-16, 03:19 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 147 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Finally a bigger screen..

-Josh
I wonder if people with. 2014 IS will upgrade to the 2017 just to get the bigger screen? Maybe those on a 3 yr lease?
Old 05-01-16, 03:22 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

What is Deep Blue Mica new paint for 2017. Didn't Lexus already have this color it looked almost black but a midnight blue color.
Old 05-01-16, 03:58 PM
atomic250
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

More pictures of the 2017 Lexus IS

Old 05-01-16, 04:25 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
I wonder if people with. 2014 IS will upgrade to the 2017 just to get the bigger screen? Maybe those on a 3 yr lease?
Not me. I have a 2014 (purchase not lease) and never really had a problem with the nav screen. That being said, if the car had changes that I wanted, I would have no problem trading the car for a new one. But, after seeing the 2017 pictures for almost a week now, I honestly don't like the new changes and question what my next car will be. I don't think it will be an IS based on the 2017 appearance.
Old 05-01-16, 05:01 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

This pic is a great example of why there are now just too many different lines going on in the front, it's too many different lines going in different directions all competing for each other for the look at me factor. I fully understand making the front end look more aggressive but there is just too much going on in the front that it's not cohesive. I mean what is that triangle piece just to the right of the front grill? Maybe it will change for me when I see it in person but man this front end is extremely busy.

Old 05-01-16, 06:20 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

These new pics have ruined it for me. Don't like it. I've always thought the current design is almost perfest. The best design overall of any Lexus. This new thing is over done. Look at me. Too much going on.
Maybe it will grow on me. I'm speaking of the Fsport.

I like the non F.
Old 05-01-16, 07:33 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
This pic is a great example of why there are now just too many different lines going on in the front, it's too many different lines going in different directions all competing for each other for the look at me factor. I fully understand making the front end look more aggressive but there is just too much going on in the front that it's not cohesive. I mean what is that triangle piece just to the right of the front grill? Maybe it will change for me when I see it in person but man this front end is extremely busy.

Came from new Prius taillight design.
Old 05-01-16, 07:36 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i'm sure it will look better in person. remember how much everyone hated the 3IS pics when it first got released
Old 05-01-16, 07:37 PM
donstello
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i think whats in the grill is ducts directed at the breaks to cool them

I am not sure, but it looks like the "ducts" under the head lights are nonfunctional? its doesnt look like they have any opening/mesh

Looks like 2017 takes more cues from the LF-CC concept

Old 05-02-16, 03:46 AM
semnoz
Driver School Candidate

Default Handling of face-lift IS

Hello to all,

Engine remaining the same is (unfortunately) common practice for a midlife facelift of an outgoing model.

The IS 300h, though, could have enjoyed the upgrade of the hybrid system of the new Prius, but we'll have to wait and see if Lexus will make this choice for the next generation (2019?) or maybe takeover the LC 500h groundbreaking technology (wishful thinking).

What could be improved is the handling, even without using the new TNGA platform. And let's admit that the IS 300 in particular, could use some serious fine-tuning on that front.

Waiting for 2019 to make serious improvements (engine and handling), will put Lexus (again) heavily behind BMW and its hybrid version of the series 3.

The fundamental problem being that Lexus is skipping plug-in hybrids, when on some markets (especially the European), they could make a real difference with his German competitors, who are very rapidly catching up.
Old 05-02-16, 05:18 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by semnoz
Hello to all,

Engine remaining the same is (unfortunately) common practice for a midlife facelift of an outgoing model.

The IS 300h, though, could have enjoyed the upgrade of the hybrid system of the new Prius, but we'll have to wait and see if Lexus will make this choice for the next generation (2019?) or maybe takeover the LC 500h groundbreaking technology (wishful thinking).

What could be improved is the handling, even without using the new TNGA platform. And let's admit that the IS 300 in particular, could use some serious fine-tuning on that front.

Waiting for 2019 to make serious improvements (engine and handling), will put Lexus (again) heavily behind BMW and its hybrid version of the series 3.

The fundamental problem being that Lexus is skipping plug-in hybrids, when on some markets (especially the European), they could make a real difference with his German competitors, who are very rapidly catching up.
The IS is not an "outgoing" model, as in all probabilities, it will carry on for another generation, even if on a new platform (TNGA). The IS platform is also shared (with modifications) with the GS, so it's not going anywhere. With this being a MMC, the new generation may be released in 2019 as a 2020 model, but could extend a little further. The IS300h is not available in NA, but from what is available here, it is unlikely that something major will change in the hybrid system this generation. BTW, the hybrid used by BMW was licensed from Toyota when both companies signed a cooperation agreement for small diesels and hybrid power trains in 2011/2012.

For handling, please do tell, what your experience is. Inquiring minds want to know. From everything I've read, the 3rd gen IS has top handling in it's class. On the street and on the track in stock form. No personal experience here, other than a few spirited "on ramp" or "off ramp" maneuvers. The hybrid is saddled with weight of the extra electric motors and batteries, however, from my understanding, Lexus was able to achieve a balanced F/R distribution. While the hybrid is a compromise for fuel saving, it should be competitive with others in the handling department.

Last edited by My0gr81; 05-02-16 at 06:05 AM.
Old 05-02-16, 09:29 AM
semnoz
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by My0gr81
The IS is not an "outgoing" model, as in all probabilities, it will carry on for another generation, even if on a new platform (TNGA). The IS platform is also shared (with modifications) with the GS, so it's not going anywhere. With this being a MMC, the new generation may be released in 2019 as a 2020 model, but could extend a little further. The IS300h is not available in NA, but from what is available here, it is unlikely that something major will change in the hybrid system this generation. BTW, the hybrid used by BMW was licensed from Toyota when both companies signed a cooperation agreement for small diesels and hybrid power trains in 2011/2012.

For handling, please do tell, what your experience is. Inquiring minds want to know. From everything I've read, the 3rd gen IS has top handling in it's class. On the street and on the track in stock form. No personal experience here, other than a few spirited "on ramp" or "off ramp" maneuvers. The hybrid is saddled with weight of the extra electric motors and batteries, however, from my understanding, Lexus was able to achieve a balanced F/R distribution. While the hybrid is a compromise for fuel saving, it should be competitive with others in the handling department.

Yes, you are completely right. My expression "outgoing model" is incorrect. I wanted to say outgoing version of the model.

As for the handling, it's a question of "cultural preference", probably different between the USA and Europe. The Americans prefer the gliding and softness, the Europeans a more sharp and crisp handling. it's a matter of culture, but mostly of infrastructure : big straight roads on the one hand, small curvy roads on the other.
Old 05-02-16, 10:15 AM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

to make serious improvements (engine and handling),
Not sure what you are talking about, IS 250-350 wins handling competition in its class, at least according to industry pundits. It has crispier more precise handling, beats BMW 335i.

Last edited by Olasek; 05-02-16 at 10:48 AM.
Old 05-02-16, 10:40 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Yes, you are completely right. My expression "outgoing model" is incorrect. I wanted to say outgoing version of the model.

As for the handling, it's a question of "cultural preference", probably different between the USA and Europe. The Americans prefer the gliding and softness, the Europeans a more sharp and crisp handling. it's a matter of culture, but mostly of infrastructure : big straight roads on the one hand, small curvy roads on the other.
The IS350 F-sport handles sharper than the 335, S4, and Mercedes C class. Most publications that reviewed them say the same thing. I'm not sure if you get the 350 F-sport in Europe though.

Quick Reply: Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS