IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 10:49 AM
goldengame
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
The IS350 F-sport handles sharper than the 335, S4, and Mercedes C class. Most publications that reviewed them say the same thing. I'm not sure if you get the 350 F-sport in Europe though.
To add to this, I drove a 340i with all the M Sport packages the other day. The suspension felt very close to the F-Sport suspension in my car. The engine had more torque but not so much more that I could justify the price difference between IS350 and 340i. The sound system was meh. It wasn't that detailed and even at a "flat" setting, there was way too much bass. The ML system in the IS350 is better IMO. The worst part about it was the steering though. I thought people were over-exaggerating, but the steering is absolutely HORRIBLE. You can't feel anything with it. Not the road texture, not the road camber, nothing. The only thing I felt from it was the vibration from the lane assist. That's it. Pure trash.
Old 05-02-16, 10:54 AM
listairee
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by semnoz
As for the handling, it's a question of "cultural preference", probably different between the USA and Europe. The Americans prefer the gliding and softness, the Europeans a more sharp and crisp handling. it's a matter of culture, but mostly of infrastructure : big straight roads on the one hand, small curvy roads on the other.

Having driven in tracks, down the Snake Alley in Burlington, Iowa multiple times with multiple cars, and coming from the FR-S (FT-86), I can say the handling on the 3IS is on par (granted it is on the heavier side and under-steer a little). But comparing it to 335i and ATS 3.6 that I test drove, I would say the 3IS's handling is the top among those 3.
Old 05-02-16, 11:38 AM
kwasley
Driver School Candidate

Sorry if this has been asked already but typically when can these cars be ordered and when would deliveries start?

Posting from Canada and I think I want to wait for 2017 and special order the superman combo 200t.
Old 05-02-16, 11:55 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, you are completely right. My expression "outgoing model" is incorrect. I wanted to say outgoing version of the model.
Fair enough, but you went on with comments about getting left behind by BMW on hybrid technology, when in fact, BMW licenses the technology from Toyota. Kind of ironic that you would think that, on your first post too.

As for the handling, it's a question of "cultural preference", probably different between the USA and Europe. The Americans prefer the gliding and softness, the Europeans a more sharp and crisp handling. it's a matter of culture, but mostly of infrastructure : big straight roads on the one hand, small curvy roads on the other.
Cultural preference is when one's nationality, upbringing, language and identity shapes their thinking about what is "acceptable" or "different". You specifically mentioned that the IS 300 needed serious fine tuning, even without the upcoming TNGA platform. this lead me to believe that wasn't a "cultural" difference, but a specific reference to a what you saw or thought to be a "technical flaw". Hence my ask to please tell us, as we would like to know.
Old 05-02-16, 11:57 AM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kwasley
Sorry if this has been asked already but typically when can these cars be ordered and when would deliveries start?

Posting from Canada and I think I want to wait for 2017 and special order the superman combo 200t.
This was at the Beijing auto show, so typically, Lexus USA and Lexus Canada will make announcements towards late July early August with deliveries starting late Fall (end of Nov.).
Old 05-02-16, 12:01 PM
kwasley
Driver School Candidate

thanks My0gr81, are we speculating on any changes to MSRP for 17? or what the 2016 clear out incentives will be?
Old 05-02-16, 12:23 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 458 Likes on 303 Posts

Presently, I have both 2IS250 & 3IS250 F Sport.
The missus' 3IS250 F Sport handles better than the current 3 Series.
However, the current 3 Series rides on its own dedicated platform, rather than sharing platforms with the 5 Series, such that the 3 Series is about 300 lbs lighter than the 3IS, such that the 3 Series has quicker changes in direction, with more terminal grip.
The problem with the 3 Series is its handling ride and attitude. The springs seem to be too firm while the shockies too floaty, causing the car to bob up and down.
Old 05-02-16, 03:41 PM
donstello
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by My0gr81
This was at the Beijing auto show, so typically, Lexus USA and Lexus Canada will make announcements towards late July early August with deliveries starting late Fall (end of Nov.).
In canada last year the 200t was released around late oct, nov... so probably looks at similar release... Id say Nov likely release... 7 months away!

In regards to incentives... I know if you wanted to cash purchase a 2015 IS Fsport, in feburary-ish of 2016... if there were any around to buy, the had up to almost $6,000 canadian off on their website(that included the $2500 Fsport credit)... again thats with a cash purchase of the model year from before, not with financing or leasing.
Old 05-03-16, 02:34 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by dstopsie
Did anyone else notice that the back of the car does not have the F sport badge anymore. On the rear of the left-hand side of the cart said Lexus and it usually says F sport and yes the model I was looking at the pictures of is the F sport. Do you think this is just something that's North American that the F sport badge on there?
Yes, other countries have the Lexus badge there. Lexus stopped putting the "Lexus" nameplate on after 2010 in North America.

Jeff
Old 05-03-16, 03:23 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
Yes, other countries have the Lexus badge there. Lexus stopped putting the "Lexus" nameplate on after 2010 in North America.

Jeff
He was referring to the small f-sport emblem on the left side of the trunk lid.
Old 05-03-16, 05:29 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello, he is actually a she that loves cars, and that she is me!!
Old 05-03-16, 05:41 PM
My0gr81
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by dstopsie
Hello, he is actually a she that loves cars, and that she is me!!
Well, .... Hello there

Sorry, my French background took over, where, when in doubt, the masculine prevails. But it is 2016 and old grammar rules are just that, old.
Old 05-03-16, 09:12 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well, .... Hello there

Sorry, my French background took over, where, when in doubt, the masculine prevails. But it is 2016 and old grammar rules are just that, old.
It's ok. No worries!!
Old 05-04-16, 05:49 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I believe that Jeff was stating that the F Sport badge may not be there on non-North American cars because those not in NA get the Lexus emblem there instead.
Old 05-04-16, 06:09 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 608 Likes on 405 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
I believe that Jeff was stating that the F Sport badge may not be there on non-North American cars because those not in NA get the Lexus emblem there instead.
This. The F-Sport nameplate on the trunk was only ever used on North American cars (2015+). As these photos are not of North American-specification cars, they have the Lexus nameplate there instead. Our cars have nothing there unless it is an F-Sport.

Jeff

Quick Reply: Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS