IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-16, 07:35 AM
Kevin350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Jdm lip kit look clean... Any pic of the back end?
Old 11-30-16, 03:49 PM
JorgeNery
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i have the pre-refresh version and i can't stand the refreshed model. i'm waiting until the next generation comes out -- hopefully it won't be too garish despite lexus' garish leanings.
I agree!!! Only car that actually had a big impact on their refresh was the Accord. They killed it! Maybe if this one came out first it would have been a different story. But can't wait for the next IS model lol.. when do you guys think it will come?
Old 11-30-16, 04:17 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Is it true that the Nightfall Mica for the 2017 IS models is only available on special orders? Do they not sell it normally in the dealerships?
Old 11-30-16, 05:20 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by JorgeNery
I agree!!! Only car that actually had a big impact on their refresh was the Accord. They killed it! Maybe if this one came out first it would have been a different story. But can't wait for the next IS model lol.. when do you guys think it will come?
And the es
Old 11-30-16, 07:42 PM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

This is so unlike when the 2gen IS was released, people loved it and the forum was booming with posters, such excitement people truly loved the design of the 2gen and it showed in sales, it was a huge seller for Lexus. I bought a 2007 and a few months later was contacted by my dealership to be invited for a dinner hosted by the chief designer it was a round table the food was amazing but more than that we were asked because Lexus wanted our feedback on why we loved our 2nd Gen IS and what we didn't like that could be approved upon. I will never forget that meeting. They even gave us a special gift from Japan at the end.

I I say all this because for some reason the refresh 3rd Gen IS doesn't have that same spark. It seems more people are saying oh they will wait for the next gen IS or I don't like the refreshed grill or the single headlamps or this or that. From a business standpoint this is not what Lexus wants to hear. Had Lexus lost that hardcore fan base who made the 2nd Gen IS so profoundly popular?
Old 12-01-16, 07:57 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Xanadu350
This is so unlike when the 2gen IS was released, people loved it and the forum was booming with posters, such excitement people truly loved the design of the 2gen and it showed in sales, it was a huge seller for Lexus. I bought a 2007 and a few months later was contacted by my dealership to be invited for a dinner hosted by the chief designer it was a round table the food was amazing but more than that we were asked because Lexus wanted our feedback on why we loved our 2nd Gen IS and what we didn't like that could be approved upon. I will never forget that meeting. They even gave us a special gift from Japan at the end.

I I say all this because for some reason the refresh 3rd Gen IS doesn't have that same spark. It seems more people are saying oh they will wait for the next gen IS or I don't like the refreshed grill or the single headlamps or this or that. From a business standpoint this is not what Lexus wants to hear. Had Lexus lost that hardcore fan base who made the 2nd Gen IS so profoundly popular?
the styling is too garish. it's only attracting a segment of those who were drawn to the 2IS and even then, not very enthusiastically. everything from the spindle grille to the sharp creases and discordant lines need to be toned down as the design isn't elegant at all. lexus is trying much too hard to appeal to more youthful buyers with it's cartoonish, racer-boy styling. the german marques have got it right with their design language.
Old 12-01-16, 08:26 AM
ISTORO
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Nightfall Mica

Originally Posted by SantiP
Is it true that the Nightfall Mica for the 2017 IS models is only available on special orders? Do they not sell it normally in the dealerships?
Nightfall Mica is not a special order but is limited to non F-Sport models, Ultrasonic Blue is exclusive to F-Sports. It's a very dark blue, almost black in certain lighting very similar to Deep Sea Mica that was offered on MY's 2014-15 and 2nd gen IS's. The 2017's are just starting to arrive so could be that it's not available in your area yet. Here's some pics. Hope this helps.

Last edited by ISTORO; 12-01-16 at 08:28 AM. Reason: sp
Old 12-01-16, 02:06 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
the styling is too garish. it's only attracting a segment of those who were drawn to the 2IS and even then, not very enthusiastically. everything from the spindle grille to the sharp creases and discordant lines need to be toned down as the design isn't elegant at all. lexus is trying much too hard to appeal to more youthful buyers with it's cartoonish, racer-boy styling. the german marques have got it right with their design language.
That is EXACTLY what has happened with the IS. The 2IS was appealing to upcoming business execs and secretaries. The 3IS went crazy-bonsai styling, which appealed to the boy-racers and a much younger demographic. The facelift is even more of that. If Lexus was trying to lower the age of the IS buyer, it succeeded. I work next door to a hip-hop barbershop, and the parking lot is always loaded with customized (and thrashed/abused) 3IS F-Sports. This is totally not my thing, which makes me want to keep my 2IS for the duration. I look at it as the last time Lexus combined elegance, luxury, and sport in one smaller, affordable package.
Old 12-01-16, 04:13 PM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
That is EXACTLY what has happened with the IS. The 2IS was appealing to upcoming business execs and secretaries. The 3IS went crazy-bonsai styling, which appealed to the boy-racers and a much younger demographic. The facelift is even more of that. If Lexus was trying to lower the age of the IS buyer, it succeeded. I work next door to a hip-hop barbershop, and the parking lot is always loaded with customized (and thrashed/abused) 3IS F-Sports. This is totally not my thing, which makes me want to keep my 2IS for the duration. I look at it as the last time Lexus combined elegance, luxury, and sport in one smaller, affordable package.
My sentiments (almost) exactly. The 2IS was elegant the same way an Audi or Aston is; it's understated. The 3IS design was definitely stronger, but I enjoy it because it has those qualities to me but with sport prioritised over the other two rather than elegance. The refresh is visually hideous and lukewarm overall. I hope sales plummet so that Lexus realises they're taking this the wrong direction.
Old 12-01-16, 05:29 PM
araditus
Driver School Candidate

Very nice, I have always enjoyed the swooping effect of the rear light. Nice to see the front aggressive as I assume the target market, myself included would prefer it that way. Even my wife said "GRRRR" when she saw it in a gleeful tone.
Old 12-02-16, 02:57 PM
Robsc89
Driver

I think the refresh is just more modern in the front as they made the headlights just a simple shape and made the grill shape the car. It's not bad IMO but I'm suppose to be trading my turbo in for 350 soon so whether it's a 16 or a 17 it doesn't matter to me. But this black does look sexy especially with the dark chrome now and more spindle on the side
Old 12-02-16, 02:58 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,199 Likes on 1,648 Posts

What once was an exaggerated body kit in the 90s is now standard on today's car.

Last edited by E46CT; 12-02-16 at 03:01 PM.
Old 12-02-16, 10:58 PM
Keithwuuuu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I don't like the front end. Doesn't look as aggressive as the 2014-2016
Old 12-03-16, 10:31 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
My sentiments (almost) exactly. The 2IS was elegant the same way an Audi or Aston is; it's understated. The 3IS design was definitely stronger, but I enjoy it because it has those qualities to me but with sport prioritised over the other two rather than elegance. The refresh is visually hideous and lukewarm overall. I hope sales plummet so that Lexus realises they're taking this the wrong direction.
i also hope IS sales take a nosedive so that lexus gets a clue. the rx is another monstrosity. all of the lexus suvs/cuvs are now so polarizing in a very negative way.
Old 12-03-16, 11:04 AM
Xanadu350
Racer

Received 150 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm in the market to buy a new car and I kept waiting because I knew Lexus was going to increase the Navi screen and now they have but I don't love the front end at all the grill even bigger and I don't like all that thick chrome outlining the grill and then I hate the single projector headlights. If it only had the 3 led headlamps like the RX optional lighting pkg. Why can they offer it on the RX and not the re designed IS?

Its like im ready to give Lexus my money but I'm not in love with the IS like I was when the 2nd Gen arrived. I actually liked the 3rd Gen 2016 front end better but I can't live with that small Navi screen I know I'd regret it.

I'm at a stand still because I don't see another model I'm really interested in at Lexus.

Last edited by Xanadu350; 12-03-16 at 11:09 AM.

Quick Reply: Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS