IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 01:27 PM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 168 Likes on 100 Posts

Anything is better than the current rear diffuser. All it is today is a black plastic rectangle with no features. That's really where they dropped the bomb with the back of the 3IS.
As far as the F-Sport front bumper, they need to dump the "got hitched up on a curb" look, where the lower edges kink upward. This is opposite of anything sporty. With sport, you want to lower the bumpers closer to the ground to make the car appear tied to the road. Then on the base model, the lower edges need to connect. Having the current gap there makes it look like a plastic model car who's joints do not meet.

BTW, for those feeling they are getting burned by buying the current model.... let that go. There is NO WAY, ever, to be able to always stay ontop of the latest improvements. They will always come, each year or two. There will be an even better improvement in a few years once they redesign it, and so on and so on. It never ends, so don't kick yourself.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 04-22-16 at 01:32 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 01:56 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

Meh those facelifts are small, no need to cry over if you just bought the car. I doubt we'll even see an interior lift. If anything you might be able to retrofit the bumper and rear diffuser.
Old 04-22-16, 03:09 PM
vuong05
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks promising.... only a little longer until the unveil.
Old 04-22-16, 03:11 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by dojoman
Meh those facelifts are small, no need to cry over if you just bought the car.
Exactly
Old 04-22-16, 03:25 PM
chyeea03
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Personally, the only reason I'd get upset over this is if they made 1 (and only 1) change to the interior and that was moving the cup holders to a usable location
Old 04-22-16, 03:51 PM
Vivid101
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

the 3.5IS will have small changes. front bumper/fogs, some interior pieces and thats about it. Maybe a different shifter ****. Nothing too crazy.
Old 04-22-16, 04:29 PM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chyeea03
Personally, the only reason I'd get upset over this is if they made 1 (and only 1) change to the interior and that was moving the cup holders to a usable location
or adding a sunglasses holder somewhere.....
Old 04-22-16, 04:34 PM
Supermuku
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No Piano Black

I just hope they do not add bunch of that piano black interior trim that is so popular these days. I actually prefer and in my opinion think the current matte interior looks sporty and nice.
Old 04-22-16, 05:00 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

I love the current interior and exterior. The only thing I would be jealous of is more power and memory seats.
Old 04-22-16, 10:04 PM
specONE
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 249 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermuku
I just hope they do not add bunch of that piano black interior trim that is so popular these days. I actually prefer and in my opinion think the current matte interior looks sporty and nice.
Lol the piano black was 2014 model. It got scratched so easily that they changed it the next year so I think that lesson was already learned.

Last edited by specONE; 04-22-16 at 10:07 PM.
Old 04-22-16, 10:13 PM
da mayor
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm sure we will be getting new style tailights
Old 04-22-16, 11:05 PM
F Monster
Lead Lap

Received 38 Likes on 24 Posts

The teaser image looks really good. Makes me want to get one but I love my F too much.
Old 04-23-16, 05:55 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 536 Likes on 318 Posts

Originally Posted by XPERIA
I don't know why some here keep going on about this "rumoured" TT-V6.
This whole update is nothing more than a facelift, which is normal practice by just about every manufacture to maintain freshness of their product, in this case the current 3IS has been in the market for about 3yrs, about the same time the 2IS got its first refresh.

And really why would Lexus debut a brand new engine for a facelift model? I mean they just realesed the refreshed GS and it continues with the same engine, albeit a slightly modified version (FKS)
It would be foolish to expect anything more than the same updated version of the 2GR in the 3IS refresh..
Take a look at companies like BMW and Infiniti on how they handled their recent mid-life refreshes for the 3 series (340i B58 motor replacing the 335i N55 motor) and Q50 (new V6TT).

If the true successor to the 2GR motor is good and ready, this would be the perfect time to unveil that powerplant and re-ignite attention to the 3IS which has been slowly declining in popularity since its initial release.
Old 04-23-16, 05:58 AM
evident
Racer

Received 123 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Anything is better than the current rear diffuser. All it is today is a black plastic rectangle with no features. That's really where they dropped the bomb with the back of the 3IS.
As far as the F-Sport front bumper, they need to dump the "got hitched up on a curb" look, where the lower edges kink upward. This is opposite of anything sporty. With sport, you want to lower the bumpers closer to the ground to make the car appear tied to the road. Then on the base model, the lower edges need to connect. Having the current gap there makes it look like a plastic model car who's joints do not meet.

BTW, for those feeling they are getting burned by buying the current model.... let that go. There is NO WAY, ever, to be able to always stay ontop of the latest improvements. They will always come, each year or two. There will be an even better improvement in a few years once they redesign it, and so on and so on. It never ends, so don't kick yourself.
Frankly I don't think the current rear needs a diffuser or spoiler. There's a lot going on already back there
Old 04-23-16, 06:47 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by evident
Frankly I don't think the current rear needs a diffuser or spoiler. There's a lot going on already back there
i agree. if anything, the black portion needs to be painted to match the body a la current-generation 3 series.

Quick Reply: Redesigned 2017 Lexus IS