Need some help - dropping down to 18s from 19s

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-16, 09:40 PM
Myrix
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need some help - dropping down to 18s from 19s

Hi All,

Typical lurker peeking out again - but before the details since it's long overdue - a shout out to Jason from getyourwheels.com. I know he got props for helping another member (main reason I reached out to him) but I wanted to give him kudos for helping me as well. I've had a bit of a nightmare this year trying to get my summer wheels set up and he was patient and worked with me as we continued to run through issues. Pictures below of the "original final product."

Unfortunately - rims were still slightly too aggressive - no fault of his as I knew the risk when I pulled the trigger. On RSR downs rear driver side seemed just a tad lower and had almost no change in camber surprisingly compared to the passenger side. So it would occasionally get the slight rub on a heavy dip / weighed down. Once a month but still too much for me when I heard it. Thought I had it covered as I'm moving to J5 coilovers to regain about a quarter inch in back but must not have been meant to be. My summer wheels saga is becoming a running joke among my friends.

Didn't consider the "wife factor." With the aggressive set up I'm running slightly stretched wheels, unfortunately a month after putting them on she ran into a pothole and did a pretty bad scrape into one of the new rims (about a quarter of the rim). Looking for a repair shop but it's not looking so great with the two tone color of the SA15Rs. Fortunately, she's pretty understanding and feels a little guilty - so time to prep the backup plans.

Like the look of 19s - but after this year's trouble considering dropping back down to 18s for extra peace of mind (so she doesn't have to worry as much either when driving) and regain a little comfort. I'm pretty sure the specs will work, but still may be a little aggressive. Hoping to get it finally done once and for all so also getting opinions rather than just researching info.

Here are the specs for the possible wheels. Want to make sure there's no rubbing at all even with full passengers and weight in the trunk.

Front:
18 x 8.5 +33
Currently running 19 x 8.5 +35 so pretty sure 33 would work, but after the rears I think I'm getting paranoid....

Rear:
18 x 9.5 +40
Currently running 19 x 9.5 +38 so 40 should work, would've preferred closer to 45 but should reduce the chance of rubbing and hopefully the coilovers will give the extra buffer to avoid it completely

For tires - do not want to get a set that's going to be stretched to give a little more protection to the rims. Recommendations for size would be much appreciated as well.

Thoughts?
Attached Thumbnails Need some help - dropping down to 18s from 19s-img_1071.jpeg   Need some help - dropping down to 18s from 19s-img_7977.jpeg