IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Non Mark Levinson sound (do I have options)

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-18, 10:00 AM
osiriskidd
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sixbanger
This same speaker fits in the left and right dash locations. I just ordered an additional pair
thanks!

i replaced the 2 on the side with rockford fosgates and was always wondering about the middle.
were you able to order a single speaker or are they all in pairs?

Old 12-01-18, 10:43 AM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

Only in pairs but $20 shipped to my door. Can’t go wrong. Huge improvement for the cost. I’ll try something a little more expensive for the center at some point
Old 12-01-18, 12:12 PM
MacroZed
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

I thought the center speaker was for the voice navigation and other information.

Does music come through the center?
Old 12-01-18, 12:57 PM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

it definitely does. if you put on something with good vocals, and get as close to it as possible, you will hear it. Or pull the grill off and you can feel it. The factory speakers are terrible, but at least they are easy to replace and in good locations.

I'll replace the 8" sub with a Polk audio one I have laying around next, then work on door speakers. I already ordered speaker adapters to make the front doors easier. found the below link in the RC forum.

http://www.car-speaker-adapters.com/items.php?id=SAK132
The following users liked this post:
Darqhelmet (12-15-18)
Old 12-02-18, 08:54 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Center speaker only have sound when playing something that is 5.1ch or am i wrong? I hardly hear any sound from my center speaker on my non-ml audio.
Old 12-02-18, 09:36 AM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

It definitely plays on FM, XM and CD, haven't confirmed other sources. It is a little quieter than the left and right speakers. I am not sure if this is something in the amplifier or just the fact that the original speaker is a 5 ohm in the center and a 4 ohm left and right.

So when you replace the center speaker with a 4 ohm (because almost all aftermarket car audio speakers are 4 ohm), the center channel does get a little louder, something like 20% ish based on Ohms law.

When I only replaced the center channel, I found the tweeter to be just a little too bright for my taste, so you can see where I taped off the front half of the tweeter so it projects more onto the glass, rather directly towards me. I'll do the same for the left and right. I am sure I will experiment with other brand and types of speakers eventually, I was just looking for a quick fix to make it more enjoyable to drive my new to me, car.

I am an old school audio guy, was in the business 10 years and still have friends in the industry. I always at a minimum replace the front speakers and add sound deadening to even my most boring daily drivers. Some of car audio is science, but there are many things that are just being creative and trial and error.

I think almost every aftermarket speaker made of any brand would be an improvement over what is in there now from the factory.
The following 2 users liked this post by sixbanger:
osiriskidd (12-02-18), zhifan1 (12-02-18)
Old 12-02-18, 11:07 AM
lychee416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It definitely plays on FM, XM and CD, haven't confirmed other sources. It is a little quieter than the left and right speakers. I am not sure if this is something in the amplifier or just the fact that the original speaker is a 5 ohm in the center and a 4 ohm left and right.

So when you replace the center speaker with a 4 ohm (because almost all aftermarket car audio speakers are 4 ohm), the center channel does get a little louder, something like 20% ish based on Ohms law.

When I only replaced the center channel, I found the tweeter to be just a little too bright for my taste, so you can see where I taped off the front half of the tweeter so it projects more onto the glass, rather directly towards me. I'll do the same for the left and right. I am sure I will experiment with other brand and types of speakers eventually, I was just looking for a quick fix to make it more enjoyable to drive my new to me, car.

I am an old school audio guy, was in the business 10 years and still have friends in the industry. I always at a minimum replace the front speakers and add sound deadening to even my most boring daily drivers. Some of car audio is science, but there are many things that are just being creative and trial and error.

I think almost every aftermarket speaker made of any brand would be an improvement over what is in there now from the factory.
How do you add sound deadening to your lexus?
Old 12-02-18, 12:20 PM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

This is my other Toyota, but you get the idea. The goal for me was to get the area directly behind the speaker real well to keep the sound in and road noise out. I won't use quite as much on my IS, but even a little helps. I'll use a slightly more lightweight product also.

https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-RKST36B-Roadkill-Stealth-Material/dp/B005ATJ04S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1543781496&sr=8-8&keywords=stinger+sound+deadening https://www.amazon.com/Stinger-RKST36B-Roadkill-Stealth-Material/dp/B005ATJ04S/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1543781496&sr=8-8&keywords=stinger+sound+deadening

Last edited by sixbanger; 12-02-18 at 12:23 PM. Reason: text missing
Old 12-15-18, 05:20 PM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Today's project was to replace the factory subwoofer with an 8" sub leftover from a car I sold (06 Subaru Outback Sedan 3.0R) which happened to have an 8" sub location in the rear deck also. The sub I have cost $44 at the time I bought it 5 years ago. The newest version is only $60. I wired the 4 ohm voice coils in parallel to make approximately 2 ohms. the factory china made pos was 2.5 ohm.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-LV1hJl...-db840DVC.html

the pictures are me test fitting it. I used about a 1/4" speaker spacer that I had laying around. no idea where I got it.

I got it done in about 5 hours total. Working at a fairly leisurely pace, although I have probably removed 1000 backseats in my lifetime so I have a bit of an advantage. More to take apart than I thought to be able to remove the rear deck though.

I added a couple square feet of sound deadening (wish I had more on hand) and once wired up I spent quite a bit of time chasing rattles and adding strategic small pieces of sound deadening. One particular bad spot was the plastic torsion bar holder thing.

It sounds really good for what it is. I am able to turn the volume almost to max (62) with minimal distortion (with CD as source). It sounds much better than the stock speaker. I recommend this as a cheap upgrade. I'll likely add some kind of 10" enclosure in the trunk later. I am pretty happy.

For anyone keeping track I have spent $40 total on replacement left, right and center dash speakers and $44 on this sub. Misc. sound deadening, wire connectors, etc... maybe another $40. I may start a separate thread with more details on my stereo upgrade progression

Last edited by sixbanger; 12-22-18 at 06:03 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sixbanger:
Darqhelmet (12-15-18), osiriskidd (12-16-18)
Old 12-15-18, 09:16 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Create a thread if you keep tweaking. I am probably buying those MB speakers. Sound is super muddy to me.
Old 12-16-18, 08:37 AM
gianttama
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From a non car non audio newbie here, could you post a video on how to pull off the grill/covers? I want to try your route and dyi it but always worry about breaking things.
Old 12-16-18, 10:54 AM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Old 12-16-18, 01:11 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 82 Posts

Today's project was to replace the factory subwoofer with an 8" sub leftover from a car I sold (06 Subaru Outback Sedan 3.0R) which happened to have an 8" sub location in the rear deck also. The sub I have cost $44 at the time I bought it 5 years ago. The newest version is only $60. I wired the 4 ohm voice coils in parallel to make approximately 2 ohms. the factory china made pos was 2.5 ohm.

https://www.crutchfield.com/S-LV1hJl...-db840DVC.html

the pictures are me test fitting it. I used about a 1/4" speaker spacer that I had laying around. no idea where I got it.

I got it done in about 5 hours total. Working at a fairly leisurely pace, although I have probably removed 1000 backseats in my lifetime so I have a bit of an advantage. More to take apart than I thought to be able to remove the rear deck though.

I added a couple square feet of sound deadening (wish I had more on hand) and once wired up I spent quite a bit of time chasing rattles and adding strategic small pieces of sound deadening. One particular bad spot was the plastic torsion bar holder thing.

It sounds really good for what it is. I am able to turn the volume almost to max with minimal distortion (with CD as source). It sounds much better than the stock speaker. I recommend this as a cheap upgrade. I'll likely add some kind of 10" enclosure in the trunk later. I am pretty happy.

For anyone keeping track I have spent $40 total on replacement left, right and center dash speakers and $44 on this sub. Misc. sound deadening, wire connectors, etc... maybe another $40. I may start a separate thread with more details on my stereo upgrade progression

I would like to and some more bass and this might do it. Can you show me how youwhite NJ it up please. I will buy this sub and two side front dash speakers
Old 12-16-18, 07:49 PM
Darqhelmet
Pole Position

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

what is the tape for over the tweeter?
Old 12-19-18, 08:23 AM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

since I hijacked this thread, I started a separate build thread that I will detail my audio upgrades

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...reo-build.html

Quick Reply: Non Mark Levinson sound (do I have options)