IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Non Mark Levinson sound (do I have options)

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-16, 11:41 PM
etutwiler
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non Mark Levinson sound (do I have options)

From what I see no options exist to have a decent sounding system. Anyone have a work a round yet?
Old 05-31-16, 06:58 AM
Mike200T
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What are you looking for? "work around" ... for what? If you don't like the factory speakers change them and add a sub ... not sure what you're looking for ...
Old 05-31-16, 07:03 AM
Kevin350
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's either ML system or base. If you get base and want better sound then you have to upgrade with aftermarket speakers and sub.
Old 05-31-16, 11:05 AM
Rebirthing
Intermediate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

There is no workaround to install ML system into your base.
An aftermarket system is your best choice.
Old 05-31-16, 01:21 PM
etutwiler
Driver School Candidate

My initial post was a poor description of my inquiry.

I am by no means an audiophile but the sound is flat and it lacks real clarity. I am not looking for increased bass but better clarity.

Through several posts here it looked like this was near impossible with this car. You can't take full advantage of better sound without changing the head unit (which is near impossible). I was under the impression that putting new speakers and amps would be a waste of money for the minutia of performance one gets.
Old 05-31-16, 01:40 PM
Mike200T
Pole Position

With the right amount of money, anything is possible. I'm sure new speakers, amps and eq's will give you the sound you want. It all depends on how much money you want to spend to get that sound. You might want to consult a local audio shop and see what they say.
Old 06-01-16, 11:42 PM
qbanghost
Driver School Candidate

i think the sound my f sport brings is great sound i dont even mess around with the base because is pretty damn loud as is but good luck brother. Anything higher than what I it comes with and I might as well put some 24" roms on the lexus to blend in right lol.
Old 06-02-16, 01:28 AM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I do agree with you that the sound from the non ML system is a bit on the flat side. You can leave the stock HU and add a processor and amp (s). This is the route that I went. I added the Audiocontrol DQ-61, JL amp for my sub, and a second JL amp for my door speakers, which I replaced with JL C5's. Sounds amazing. Gets loud enough to make my ears bleed, yet sounds clear as a bell at those volumes - not that I'm in to that sort of thing, but it's nice to know that the potential is there.
Old 06-02-16, 05:09 PM
etutwiler
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by qbanghost
i think the sound my f sport brings is great sound i dont even mess around with the base because is pretty damn loud as is but good luck brother. Anything higher than what I it comes with and I might as well put some 24" roms on the lexus to blend in right lol.
Thank you but as stated previously, I am not looking for more bass.

Originally Posted by CriMe
I do agree with you that the sound from the non ML system is a bit on the flat side. You can leave the stock HU and add a processor and amp (s). This is the route that I went. I added the Audiocontrol DQ-61, JL amp for my sub, and a second JL amp for my door speakers, which I replaced with JL C5's. Sounds amazing. Gets loud enough to make my ears bleed, yet sounds clear as a bell at those volumes - not that I'm in to that sort of thing, but it's nice to know that the potential is there.
Thank-you for the advice! I will look into that!

Last edited by etutwiler; 06-02-16 at 05:19 PM.
Old 06-02-16, 05:46 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by etutwiler
My initial post was a poor description of my inquiry.

I am by no means an audiophile but the sound is flat and it lacks real clarity. I am not looking for increased bass but better clarity.

Through several posts here it looked like this was near impossible with this car. You can't take full advantage of better sound without changing the head unit (which is near impossible). I was under the impression that putting new speakers and amps would be a waste of money for the minutia of performance one gets.
When I was younger, I wanted super high clarity along with low thump when needed. I would change setting in the middle of songs depending on which instruments were being highlighted. I don't sit in cars and listen to music anymore but I still want good sound for the ride.

All my Lexus cars I have added a subwoofer and amp. I have not changed speakers because I'm not into it that deeply anymore....but I'm happy with what it does.

Mark Levinson audio has gotten better lately and I would consider buying a car so equipped but I doubt I would get the performance I have from doing it my way.
Old 11-30-18, 03:51 PM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Received 40 Likes on 29 Posts

I upgraded the center channel, that seemed to help. cheap 4" mb quart coaxial. cleaned up the vocals a bit, making it more tolerable for now

Last edited by sixbanger; 11-30-18 at 03:59 PM. Reason: add pics
Old 11-30-18, 04:00 PM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Old 12-01-18, 09:33 AM
osiriskidd
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by sixbanger
what speaker model and size is that?
Old 12-01-18, 09:41 AM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by osiriskidd
what speaker model and size is that?

Last edited by sixbanger; 12-15-18 at 05:26 PM.
Old 12-01-18, 09:44 AM
sixbanger
Pit Crew

This same speaker fits in the left and right dash locations. I just ordered an additional pair

Quick Reply: Non Mark Levinson sound (do I have options)