IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Infiniti q50 sport Test Drive

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-16, 02:02 AM
link13
Lead Lap

Received 46 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by sdiver68
Agreed, I used to embarrass M3's with my tuned 335i at the track. Everyone @ BMWCCA track days wanting to know what was done to it and I just honestly replied wheels and tune. Unfortunately that performance comes with significant out of warranty risk.
Some of this is driving skill too, though. Maybe a lot of it is. I have met so many people who think that just buying a performance oriented car will lead to better track times than anyone else. I have posted better track times in my, at the time, un-tuned and tired AE86, than people in cars that are much more capable. I have also driven more capable cars and had my *** handed to me by a really good hotshoe in a less capable car.

I considered the Q50 and got an IS250 FSPORT instead because I liked the interior. I liked the car a lot and would have bought it off the lease except that I wanted the big motor car. I have a 2016 IS350 FSPORT now and I really like it. I don't do a lot of racing. I mostly drive to and from work.
Old 08-18-16, 07:22 PM
2015isboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good post. I have a 250 base and 350 f sport. I basically drive to work and a lot of times put in eco mode lol. I want a better power plant but would i really use it? It's almost like being greedy. Sorta of a catch 22.

QUOTE=link13;9588164]Some of this is driving skill too, though. Maybe a lot of it is. I have met so many people who think that just buying a performance oriented car will lead to better track times than anyone else. I have posted better track times in my, at the time, un-tuned and tired AE86, than people in cars that are much more capable. I have also driven more capable cars and had my *** handed to me by a really good hotshoe in a less capable car.

I considered the Q50 and got an IS250 FSPORT instead because I liked the interior. I liked the car a lot and would have bought it off the lease except that I wanted the big motor car. I have a 2016 IS350 FSPORT now and I really like it. I don't do a lot of racing. I mostly drive to and from work.[/QUOTE]
Old 08-19-16, 09:15 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Right now the class is spread quite large and quite favorable to customers from Europe.

If you need a British BMW you get a XE Type. Exhaust is amazing, handles quite well. The interior is a bad place to be in for sure. Who knows how long before a visit to the shop.
If you need a proper handling car thats got an old interior go for the F30. Its overall powertrain is the best in the business. Just dont go and purchase a 320i and expect e90 335i performance. You need to tack on the goodies and push the envelope of price. The interior infotainment is quite good for a car, probably the easiest system to work with. But again nothing beats a smartphone. You can always try to see if you can get the individual option for the 3 but its a hard push for only soo many interior bit upgrades.
If you you like an interior build quality that is luxurious, pick up the C class. Thing is oozing luxury with the interior. Materials are cheaper then the S class, but its design is fire. The infotainment is better then the bottom of the class Jag, Lexus, and Infiniti, hate the screen but its dooable (The screen an infotainment is a much better option then in the last gen)
The audi has been a hit with those who want a balance I guess. Its got an ikea like design thing going on inside. The infotainment just stole the #1 spot from iDrive. The FWD platform still is not something I like, but for most people who use this as their daily, its a godsend. Probably the only reason you`d notice the C class is if you like swooped design or the old timer design language of the merc.

The Lexus
Old 09-20-16, 08:29 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

I know this is an old thread, but I went from a '13 GS F Sport to a '15 S5 Coupe to a '17 A4, and to call the A4 a POS is as wildly exaggerated as a Trump "rapist' remark and just proves the person making the comment hasn't driven it. It is solid, the ride is comfortable but controlled so there is no body roll, the interior is amazingly modern, spacious and well-finished and the car just does everything well. The interior lighting at night is fantastic, and the B&O sound system blows even the M-L system in my GS away. The A4 also hauls *** when you want it to. Sure, the exterior is conservative to the point of being boring, but I don't drive on the outside of the car. With the 19" Sport package, I still take glances back at it in the parking lot and smile.

Conversely, I had IS's as loaners when I had my GS and they seemed cramped and trying to be modern by mixing 90's interior looks with modern technology. The exterior is nicely styled, but the big grill just doesn't do it for me.

I love the fact that my car is "stealth" but can blow many others away at stoplights and on the twisties.

Last edited by dseag2; 09-20-16 at 08:32 PM.
Old 09-20-16, 09:03 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I know this is an old thread, but I went from a '13 GS F Sport to a '15 S5 Coupe to a '17 A4, and to call the A4 a POS is as wildly exaggerated as a Trump "rapist' remark and just proves the person making the comment hasn't driven it. It is solid, the ride is comfortable but controlled so there is no body roll, the interior is amazingly modern, spacious and well-finished and the car just does everything well. The interior lighting at night is fantastic, and the B&O sound system blows even the M-L system in my GS away. The A4 also hauls *** when you want it to. Sure, the exterior is conservative to the point of being boring, but I don't drive on the outside of the car. With the 19" Sport package, I still take glances back at it in the parking lot and smile.

Conversely, I had IS's as loaners when I had my GS and they seemed cramped and trying to be modern by mixing 90's interior looks with modern technology. The exterior is nicely styled, but the big grill just doesn't do it for me.

I love the fact that my car is "stealth" but can blow many others away at stoplights and on the twisties.
Is the grille on your audi not just as big? If anything it's bigger.
Old 09-20-16, 09:16 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Is the grille on your audi not just as big? If anything it's bigger.
+1, Audi have large grilles too.
Old 09-21-16, 08:16 AM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 270 Likes on 217 Posts

The exterior is nicely styled, but the big grill just doesn't do it for me.
WTH your Audi also comes with big grill. What was the point of this comment? So bigger grill on Lexus is ugly but it's ok for Audi?
Old 09-21-16, 05:28 PM
2015isboy
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I test drove everything in the class before I picked up 340i m sport. Test drove the a4 and that is one amazing interior, however I disagree about the gril for the lexus. It's bold and a headturner. Lexus did a remarkable job going from bland to aggresive with the new styling. Tech is a diff story. Germans are way ahead with that and engine. Just not realiblity
Old 09-21-16, 08:04 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dojoman
WTH your Audi also comes with big grill. What was the point of this comment? So bigger grill on Lexus is ugly but it's ok for Audi?
Yes, they are both big grills but they are very differently shaped and the one on the Audi is less extreme in anyone's book. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the IS grill doesn't do it for me.

And the purpose of the comment is to give my opinion, which I am free to do on whatever forum I happen to be on. Just as the earlier poster was allowed to say the A4 is a POS and I was allowed to disagree.

I've probably owned more Lexuses than anyone in this thread... '99 SC300, '01 GS300, '03 GS300 Sportdesign, '03 SC430, '06 SC430, '13 GS 350 F Sport... so I think I've earned the right to express my opinion in a Lexus forum. Different strokes for different folks.

Attached Thumbnails Infiniti q50 sport Test Drive-a4-front-grille.jpg   Infiniti q50 sport Test Drive-lexus-is-grill.jpg  

Last edited by dseag2; 09-21-16 at 08:11 PM.
Old 09-21-16, 08:11 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, they are both big grills but they are very differently shaped and the one on the Audi is less extreme in anyone's eyes. I know beauty is in the eye of the beholder and the IS grill doesn't do it for me.

And the purpose of the comment is to give my opinion, which I am free to do on whatever forum I happen to be on. Just as the earlier poster was allowed to say the A4 is a POS and I was allowed to disagree.

I've probably owned more Lexuses than anyone in this thread... '99 SC300, '01 GS300, '03 GS300 Sportdesign, '03 SC430, '06 SC430, '13 GS 350 F Sport... so I think I've earned the right to express my opinion in a Lexus forum.

Let's state facts you said big grilles don't do it for you. You never mentioned the shape so stop trying to bad mouth Lexus.
Old 09-21-16, 08:26 PM
dseag2
Lead Lap

I wasn't trying to big mouth, 'er bad mouth Lexus. Don't take yourself so seriously.
Old 09-21-16, 08:26 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

I wasn't trying to big mouth, 'er bad mouth Lexus. Don't take yourself so seriously.
Wym? I will take myself seriously