IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What car would you replace your IS with?
Another Lexus IS
50.48%
BMW 3/4-Series
24.76%
Mercedes C300/C400
16.19%
Infiniti Q50/Q60 Coupe
8.57%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

If you had to replace your 3IS today, what would you replace it with?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-16, 10:30 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,162 Likes on 1,625 Posts

Originally Posted by webra
Definitely not a Lexus. In today's marketplace reliability alone is not enticing enough. I would go for something that goes faster than it looks (like Lexus of the previous generation) rather than something that looks much faster than it goes. Besides, in areas such as infotainment user interface and hybrid drive Lexus has stagnated and didn't keep up with the competition.
Agreed it's harder to justify a Lexus when most people lease their cars.

I do like Lexus's image and reputation for high quality though so that's one reason I got one. It bugs me when things don't fit right, aren't finished right etc.

The one thing about the IS that does bug me is the trunk feels like JUNK when you shut it. Doesn't feel precise at all. Like the latch is misaligned and not catching. Whole thing wobbles for what feels like an eternity after you shut it.

BMW 3.. Shuts with a precision thunk. The sound is quick. No reverberation.

Felt like an absoulute vault door when you shut the trunk. Precision to the fullest.

Not sure why the Lexus trunk feels so junky. Other than that I love it. =)
Old 12-10-16, 06:57 AM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Stay with the IS for sure. I had a 2IS for 5yrs. Was seamless all those yrs. Had two Germans since then, A VW GTI then a BMW X4 (don't ask why I got that one, still trying to figure it out myself!). Now I'm going back to Lexus with a new 4IS 350. The Germans certainly have their charm, but after a year that sort of fades away, sort of like reality after honeymoon lol. What sticks are the fundamentals: built perfection, reliability, and a NA seamless V6. The two Germans I had were induction 2.0s. Nothing beats a NA V6 for long term satisfaction, headache free. Another crucial factor for me that Lexus wins outright: There is no 4 door sedan out there that looks as perfectly balanced and handsome as the 3/4G IS. Let's call it what it is, the A4, 3-series, GTI designs put me to sleep, so do their interiors, and their IPad glued on dash screens. Also the squeaks, creaks on the Germans drove me nuts, and they all start to do that after say 1yr of ownership. The 'built in Japan' is a huge plus most people don't acknowledge but we should. The 2AIS was like a bank vault, silent on the inside in comparison. Good luck.
Old 12-10-16, 01:33 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i'd be hard-pressed to stay with the lexus IS now that the new a4 is out. that machine is a dream. the only thing keeping me with lexus is longterm reliability and since i purchase my cars and keep them for a good six or so years, reliability and build quality are high on my list of priorities.
Old 12-11-16, 12:09 PM
dstopsie
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

In the middle of November I actually did replace my RC 350 F sport with the 2017 Mercedes C300 sport sedan. I felt if I went back to getting in the IS I would basically be driving the same car I was driving with really nothing different other than the model. I was looking to make a change. As you can see by my vehicle history I've had 10 years of Lexus vehicles. So I thought this time I would try something different and a friend of mine suggested I look at the Mercedes C300 sport sedan. If I had replaced my RC with the new 2017 IS 350 fsport I would essentially pretty much be getting the same car but with less features because the RC has a few more features that the IS does not have. Now don't get me wrong I love my Lexus vehicles and had the 2017 refresh bit more substantial I probably would've just gotten another IS 350 F sport

I seem to change vehicle manufacturers every 10 years. I went from having 10 years of Hondas to 10 years of Lexus vehicles. So now I went completely opposite and got a Mercedes. Needless to say the Mercedes has quite a few features that I am enjoying and even though the engine doesn't have the horsepower of the IS 350 it pretty much has close to the same amount of torque. I am surprised at how fast my Mercedes as is it is much faster than my RC 350 was which was a really heavy car and seem to really lag when I put the pedal to the metal. Most of my driving is either on the freeway to work or on the streets around my area or in the canyons here in Los Angeles. I am impressed how this car handles. It is lightening quick. And believe me I'm a very fast driver. I've never owned a turbo engine car before.

I did love my RC but I had to get out of that car as it set to low it was aggravating a pre-existing back condition. So far I am really loving my new Mercedes and hopefully will continue to love it for the next three years. I do have the pre-maintenance package included in my lease.

so in the past this was something I never ever considered but I was looking to make a change and who knows what will happen in three years when my lease is up hopefully by then Lexus will have redesigned the IS.
Old 12-11-16, 02:49 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Look around the car park, you see the German marques everywhere... signature blue 3series, black audi A4s and silver C-class... Lexus IS are rare enough... but that aside, the handling and reliability were the top draw for me. The new A4 and C class have class-leading, futuristic interiors (drools), 3 series's handling falls just a hairline short of the IS imo, but the engine is better and feels quicker off the line or overtaking. Ultimately, getting a germany car is too "loud" for me as i prefer understated and when people ask what car i drive, i just reply "Oh, a Jap car" and move on... (I have a working-class mentality ) Oh, another thing is the dealer over here source their C class from South Africa, so that itself puts the C class out of contention.

If i have to replace it, it would be for a new version of GS, but that will be some time down the road when i have kids and need the space.. right now, it's just me, the missus and a cocker spaniel.
Old 12-11-16, 05:21 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
Look around the car park, you see the German marques everywhere... signature blue 3series, black audi A4s and silver C-class... Lexus IS are rare enough... but that aside, the handling and reliability were the top draw for me. The new A4 and C class have class-leading, futuristic interiors (drools), 3 series's handling falls just a hairline short of the IS imo, but the engine is better and feels quicker off the line or overtaking. Ultimately, getting a germany car is too "loud" for me as i prefer understated and when people ask what car i drive, i just reply "Oh, a Jap car" and move on... (I have a working-class mentality ) Oh, another thing is the dealer over here source their C class from South Africa, so that itself puts the C class out of contention.

If i have to replace it, it would be for a new version of GS, but that will be some time down the road when i have kids and need the space.. right now, it's just me, the missus and a cocker spaniel.
you really shouldn't be casually using the word "jap" -- you really shouldn't be using it at all.
The following users liked this post:
arentz07 (12-13-16)
Old 12-12-16, 05:50 PM
ultran00b8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In some ways, I still miss my 3IS, but I can't help to think that the 3IS (and even the LCI) can barely compete with the German equivalents. With the likes of the Audi B9 S4 or the BMW F30 LCI 340i coming out, Lexus really needs a higher output turbo engine pared with a 8 speed transmission across the board even with AWD.

Nevertheless, after a failed attempt at purchasing a Performance Package RC F at a steep discount (parents strongly objected against a 2 door high HP RWD car since I drive them occasionally), I needed a practical AWD sedan for our 5 month long winters... I had the usual suspects on the shortlist such as the 340i, Q50 Red Sport and the C450 (even toyed with idea of going old man SUV mode with the X6 50i or the Macan GTS or the land yacht 650i GC). So when screwing around with the Mercedes configurator online after seeing a GLE43 SUV out in the wild, I stumbled upon a new car that had not been released yet, the C43 sedan.

My first thought was the C43 was a new de-tuned C63 with the V8 and RWD, but since I do not follow Mercedes news very often, I dug deeper and found it was the evolution of the 2015 C400 to 2016 C450 AMG to the 2017 C43 AMG. Equipped with a twin turbo V6, the C43 was the perfect sleeper (low 4's 0-60) and understated daily I was looking for.

After getting smoked by a stock Q50, I knew it was time for a new car... so I headed to the local Mercedes dealer to get out of my 3IS. Needless to say, after being blown off as a tire-kicker I went out of the city to find a smaller non corporately owned dealer and test drove the car. Needless to say, I was blown away by the effortless power and comfort, interior and most importantly, the AMG Performance Exhaust which sounds insane for a stock exhaust (compared to the few thousand I dropped making a full-custom cat back). So I signed right away and took delivery a few days after taking a big loss on the trade in of my 3IS.

Pics of my old 3IS with the works

My new stock 2017 C43

I'll still be around since I have a NX F Sport and still kind of miss my old car.
Old 12-12-16, 05:58 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Geez. The price difference between that and the 350 is ginormous. Why bother to compare?
Old 12-12-16, 06:10 PM
ultran00b8
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Geez. The price difference between that and the 350 is ginormous. Why bother to compare?
That's why I still respect the 3IS, but it was time for me to get something nicer. Just sharing my thoughts on the equivalent cars from Lexus, BMW, Audi and Mercedes.
Old 12-12-16, 08:09 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by ultran00b8
That's why I still respect the 3IS, but it was time for me to get something nicer. Just sharing my thoughts on the equivalent cars from Lexus, BMW, Audi and Mercedes.
This is where I disagree a bit. The 328 is more expensive than the is350 comparatively equipped. So is the A4 and C300. Those are the is350 competitors. Lexus has nothing to compete with the higher tier German rivals.
Old 12-12-16, 09:17 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
This is where I disagree a bit. The 328 is more expensive than the is350 comparatively equipped. So is the A4 and C300. Those are the is350 competitors. Lexus has nothing to compete with the higher tier German rivals.
i somewhat agree, but it's just sad to me that Lexus needs the F "performance cars" to barely beat the non M or non AMG equivalents
Old 12-12-16, 10:18 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I can totally relate to getting a C43. That and the 340i were on my final list, along with the 4IS and I test drove all three. Yesterday, I purchased the 2017 IS. Keeping price and looks aside, as these are subjective from one guy to the next. The German induction straight 6 like the BMW along with the ZF 8 transmission is a work of art. But that comes at a price, dependability vs. Lexus. It's true, Lexus NA 6 is ancient and gismos are 2gens behind the Germans, but the fit, finish and peace of mind with #1 reliability record won me over. Heck, if I recall, BMW was like halfway down the 2016 JD Powell reliability ranking. The seating position, feel, and seamless assembly is unbeatable in the Lexus. The gap in performance wasn't that huge/important for me. But I'm saying this because I just came from 5yrs of German cars, and we all need to mix things up from time to time. Life's too dull to stick with one brand your whole life.
Old 12-12-16, 10:28 PM
hovik92
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I voted for the Q50/Q60. I'm a sucker for horsepower
Old 12-13-16, 12:03 AM
SilvrBulet
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Currently have a 2014 IS350. If I were to change i'd either get the 2013 IS F or a BMW M3. Not really comparable as they're both in higher price ranges.
Old 12-13-16, 12:36 AM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hovik92
I voted for the Q50/Q60. I'm a sucker for horsepower
I think the new Q's are a great choice. Now if only they could get a better infotainment system, I'd pick one up in a heartbeat.

Quick Reply: If you had to replace your 3IS today, what would you replace it with?