IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

2015 IS350 F-Sport All Wheel Drive - Tire Wear Situation

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-16, 03:55 PM
sbcluser
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default 2015 IS350 F-Sport All Wheel Drive - Tire Wear Situation

Yesterday I pickup up a nasty metal shard which resulted in an immediate flat LR tire. Upon removal, I found the inside edge of the tire had significant exposed steel belting. (!) Check the RR tire, found exactly the same, about 80% of the perimeter had a raw edge of steel belting. The front tires have nothing of this, they have some normal type wear. 43,000 miles, 23 month old car. I drive a pretty normal commute, only very occasional, very limited spirited driving. 90% of the time I'm alone in the vehicle, 200lbs, only very occasional loading beyond 20 lbs of stuff.

The rear tire wear seems unusual to me, has anyone else had a similar condition?

Old 09-22-16, 04:10 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,174 Likes on 1,633 Posts

Looks like the tires are dry rotted. That shard was a blessing in disguise. It made you inspect your rotting tires which are ready to blow at any second.

Get a new set.

This is a performance oriented car. All you guys' tires should be inspected regularly and in tip top rubbery soft grippy shape. Your tires should be priority 1. Go check yours NOW
Old 09-22-16, 05:46 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

I''m surprised that you could stand the Turanza's for 43,000 miles.
Old 09-26-16, 04:04 AM
sbcluser
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
Looks like the tires are dry rotted. That shard was a blessing in disguise. It made you inspect your rotting tires which are ready to blow at any second.

Get a new set.

This is a performance oriented car. All you guys' tires should be inspected regularly and in tip top rubbery soft grippy shape. Your tires should be priority 1. Go check yours NOW
Thanks for the reply. The photo is not the same as seeing the tire of course. The photo does look like dry rot, but the actual tire rubber is pretty fresh feeling, not at all like dry-rot which I am very familiar with. And only 2 years old...
Old 09-26-16, 04:21 AM
sbcluser
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
That’s scary. Do you run your car through automatic car washes on a regular basis? Based on the markings on your tire and the rash on your rim’s inside lip, (and the fact that your tread depth looks ok) it looks like the tire guide of an automatic car wash has put significant pressure on the inside portion of your rear tires, pressing the rim protector ridge in even with the rim with enough repeated force to cause that break in the rubber and possible belt breakage. I’d have a dealer or tire shop inspect all and replace as needed. This would also explain why fronts are ok, as they are narrower than rear. Keep us posted on what you find out.
Thank you for the reply. Interesting observation about the rim rash, which is troubling. The rubber protector bead portion of the tire looks fine, un-scuffed, and the sidewall in general is not scuffed at all. Those things seem to indicate damage when the tire was off (or being mounted) as it seem the sidewall would need to get scuffed before the rim would be scuffed. They are OEM tires, it's difficult to think that the rims cam out of the factory that way. I did have the dealer check balance of all tires after a nasty pothole event at about 6,000 miles, but it's doubtful the tires would have been removed then. There have not been any "road-contact" issues, especially considering it's the inner rear surface. The rim rash is strange...
It happened on both lh and rh very similarly, while the car washes I visit have only a lh-only wheel guide rail.
So with no sidewall markings, and 80% of the perimeter on both sides showing the condition, tire construction and/or alignment issues would seem to be at the top of the list. Although this too seems unlikely...
Anyway I put on 4 new Michelins which are doing fine. Alignment was checked, the numbers were all surprisingly close to mid-range in all areas. Of course I will monitor the wear of the new shoes.
btw for reference, the dealer quoted $1,55x for 4 new Turanzas. At Belle Tire the Turanzas were quoted at $1,2xx, I paid $1,050 for the Michelins. (I would have paid more for the Michelins than for the Turanzas!)
Old 07-22-18, 02:12 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Not to revive an old thread here, but I had posted before having the same issue with my 2017 300awd. I’ve purchased some upper camber arms for the adjustment of it in the rear. I’ve yet to get them installed, but I will post again so others may be able to avoid future issues as well. I thought it was weird too that only the rears wore this way. Alignment checked out good when I put new tires on, but they agreed, it wouldn’t hurt to add the extra adjustment.
Old 07-22-18, 05:13 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Get two new tires and check the alignment. No point speculating until you know what's what with the rear.
And the only way to know that is to get two news tires and do an alignment.
Old 07-22-18, 05:51 PM
KYLexusMkr
Intermediate

Received 50 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Get two new tires and check the alignment. No point speculating until you know what's what with the rear.
And the only way to know that is to get two news tires and do an alignment.
That’s exactly what I’ve done, only way to know for sure. So far though I’ve driven 2,400mi with them. With measuring the inside vs outside on the rear, the wear is still there, using simple calipers with depth measurement. It’s wearing more on the passenger than the driver side, but it is still accelerated wear on the far insides, like the factory tires. Something is off for certain though, just hoping these parts will help to correct it. Wish it were in the front like most everyone else has, at least then I’d know what to do with it, as others have. I will post once I have them on and with more measurements as the miles go.
Old 07-23-18, 10:29 AM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
That's funny, I found out about my uneven tire wear while ripping a chunk out of the side wall after hitting a pot hole.