IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Possible to add oem backup camera to base 2015 Lexus IS?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-16, 07:11 PM
ChineseKFC
Pit Crew

Received 20 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Possible to add oem backup camera to base 2015 Lexus IS?

Well first off I'm from Canada my car is a 2015 Lexus IS 250 f sport package 1 and the option to get navigation and a backup camera only came in the packages 2 and higher but at a cost of another 4500. So I decided it wasn't worth paying another 5 grand for something I could do with my phone.

Anyways I'm passing on my car to my little brother because I'm moving to Toronto for school and he really wants a backup camera for the car, is it possible to add a backup camera with the built in screen already? Or would I have to settle for an extra screen ?
Old 10-09-16, 01:31 AM
Silveon
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ChineseKFC
Well first off I'm from Canada my car is a 2015 Lexus IS 250 f sport package 1 and the option to get navigation and a backup camera only came in the packages 2 and higher but at a cost of another 4500. So I decided it wasn't worth paying another 5 grand for something I could do with my phone.

Anyways I'm passing on my car to my little brother because I'm moving to Toronto for school and he really wants a backup camera for the car, is it possible to add a backup camera with the built in screen already? Or would I have to settle for an extra screen ?
the stealerships will charge you around $2500 because it needs to bypass something (forgot what it is called) and they were going to charge me $2500. Its better to install an aftermarket one off of amazon for like $50 with an extra screen - it was the route i took. Not very hard, just basic wiring and soldering (something i have never done in my life but youtube will be your bestfriend).
Old 10-09-16, 09:38 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 150 Likes on 92 Posts

It's not hard but not a cinch like some people make it out to be.

I'm in Toronto and it seems Lexus did not pre-wire our cars for the back up camera.

Some people in the US were able to source an OEM camera and have the harness plug available to them under the trim panel in the truck but it's not the case for us. I have the same year and trim package as you.

I bought a Raydeen camera from eBay which was a reasonable price and haven't had time to finish the install (busy with stuff). It comes with a standard RCA jack on it. What you'll need to buy so your not hacking stuff up is a small harness from Beatsonic. It allows you to connect a video input to the existing monitor. Naturally you have to remove the monitor to access the plug which isn't hard to do just 2 bolts.

Anyway I'll be ordering that harness this weekend to complete my install before it snows. I'll keep you posted.
Old 10-10-16, 04:29 PM
Answer
Instructor

Received 831 Likes on 404 Posts

Curious to see the outcome! Also have an F1 package 2015...
Old 10-12-16, 02:15 AM
ChineseKFC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by brendanf
It's not hard but not a cinch like some people make it out to be.

I'm in Toronto and it seems Lexus did not pre-wire our cars for the back up camera.

Some people in the US were able to source an OEM camera and have the harness plug available to them under the trim panel in the truck but it's not the case for us. I have the same year and trim package as you.

I bought a Raydeen camera from eBay which was a reasonable price and haven't had time to finish the install (busy with stuff). It comes with a standard RCA jack on it. What you'll need to buy so your not hacking stuff up is a small harness from Beatsonic. It allows you to connect a video input to the existing monitor. Naturally you have to remove the monitor to access the plug which isn't hard to do just 2 bolts.

Anyway I'll be ordering that harness this weekend to complete my install before it snows. I'll keep you posted.
👍🏼 Sounds good
Old 10-18-16, 12:33 AM
QP28
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Fellow Canadian here as well and I'm also interested in adding the backup camera. Looking forward to the update.
Old 10-18-16, 01:44 AM
ChineseKFC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by QP28
Fellow Canadian here as well and I'm also interested in adding the backup camera. Looking forward to the update.

beatsonic recently replied to one of my comment on YouTube and they said there are currently making a plug and play backup camera for the +14 IS. Hopefully they will release it soon!
Old 10-18-16, 06:28 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Originally Posted by ChineseKFC
beatsonic recently replied to one of my comment on YouTube and they said there are currently making a plug and play backup camera for the +14 IS. Hopefully they will release it soon!
yeah I got the same message from them. Supposed to be released any day. But it's only an adapter harness, not a camera. It is going to retail for $40US.
Old 10-29-16, 03:47 PM
brendanf
Advanced

Well just to update this thread, they are still waiting for that harness last I heard..

I purchased the CS5EP (dual camera) and it works.. The only drawback really, is that you end up giving up the AUX in, which can probably remedied with using a Y connector.

I plan to add a front camera to the car to protect the front splitter on the car so for me the extra cost of the adapter was worth it.
Old 07-13-17, 01:22 AM
QP28
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Any update on this?
Old 07-13-17, 03:43 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Originally Posted by QP28
Any update on this?
There is another thread floating around that has updates to this as other members have done the same as me. I'd search for it and point it out to you but I'm currently on my cell and searching the forum isn't easiest to do.
Old 07-13-17, 09:45 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by brendanf
There is another thread floating around that has updates to this as other members have done the same as me. I'd search for it and point it out to you but I'm currently on my cell and searching the forum isn't easiest to do.
Here is one of the links: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...up-camera.html