IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Beat Sonic iPhone Mirroring Kit Review

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-16, 07:24 PM
hellogoodb
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Beat Sonic iPhone Mirroring Kit Review

I recently made a review for the Beat Sonic iPhone Mirroring Kit, check it out!:

Here's a video I made prior to installing the kit:

In case you're too lazy to watch the video I'll list out the pros and cons of the kit after using it for about a month at this point. Let me know if you guys have any questions.

Pros:
- Able to mirror your iPhone on your Lexus nav screen
- The audio when mirroring sounds great
- No extra clutter in the center console storage since the system is tucked into the back of the nav unit
- Charges your phone at the same time it is mirroring
- Can still use Siri
- No lag between video and audio

Cons:
- No longer can control iPhone using steering wheel buttons to skip songs etc. Workaround is to use your smart watch or a bluetooth remote
- The iPhone discharges faster than the cable charges if brightness is set to any level above the lowest setting
- If you use Siri, it will kick you out of mirroring mode on your car
- If you turn off the phone screen, on most apps this stops the mirroring. Some apps like Youtube continue to mirror even when you turn off your phone display.
- The mirroring output to the navigation screen is AV so it's limited to 480i which is not the sharpest. It's definitely usable but you can tell that it isn't HD.

Overall I really like this kit since it allows me to mirror my phone so I can use Google maps or Waze which is a must since Dallas traffic is insane. I use the mirroring feature whenever I go on a longer trip since it isn't worth the effort to set it up on shorter trips.
Old 10-11-16, 08:23 AM
RocketG35
Intermediate

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Nice job with the review + video! Good detail on the pros and cons...really helpful.
Old 11-25-16, 09:25 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Thanks a lot! I enjoyed the videos. Very informative. I am planning to install in my 2014 LS. I am not sure my system has all of the display options (full screen/stretched etc), so I wonder how the mirrored image will look on the nav screen. I was also wondering whether the screen automatically switches to landscape mode. I have an iPhone 6S.

While led your installation experience is encouraging, I am inclined to have a shop do it.