IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Is it limp mode or it's some form of safety "feature"?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-16, 03:17 PM
nslac
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Is it limp mode or it's some form of safety "feature"?

I drive my IS on average on 1-2 times per week so every time I jump behind the wheel, I tend to get a very heavy right foot. I recently noticed a weird behaviour so was wondering if anyone else has experienced the following symptoms with their IS350 F-sports (I can easily replicate this issue as well).

I think it's better if I list of the actions/events in point form so here it goes:

1. Disable traction control by holding it down for 5+ seconds (disables TC completely)
2. Switch to Sports+ and manual control
3. E.g. Approach a T intersection
4. Put the IS in 1st gear
5. Hook it right or left and floor the accelerator
6. As the car turns, the *** end loses traction and revs climb up and starts jumping off the rev limiter and at the same time the exhaust starts popping and farting like crazy (got Fsport exhaust fitted).
7. Suddenly the revs will drop off to 3000rpm (whist still in 1st gear) and will stay at 3000rpm even though the accelerator is completely floored
8. Once I up-shift to 2nd, it's only then the revs start climbing and the car gets moving.

I am wondering if the vehicle enters some form of limp mode or it's some form of safety "feature"?
Old 11-16-16, 03:31 PM
Gators
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You didn't turn on the flux capacitor.

Last edited by Gators; 11-16-16 at 03:32 PM. Reason: X
Old 11-16-16, 03:42 PM
nslac
Rookie

Dammit! knew I forgot one of the steps :P
Old 11-16-16, 05:43 PM
nslac
Rookie

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Do you get any indicator lights on the dash when this happens? Like say, the traction control light?
TCS and VSC light stays on (showing it's disabled) from the point I disable TC by holding the button for 5 seconds, no other warning light is on or flashing.
Old 11-16-16, 06:01 PM
bolaga
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

You can't completely shut off the traction control on IS as far as I know. (even when it said off)

This definitely seems like traction control kicks in.
Old 11-16-16, 06:41 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The car probably thinks that you've lost your mind, temporarily of course.

How fast are you going when you shift into 1st? Hopefully you haven't caused some transmission damage that is manifest through this issue.
Old 11-16-16, 10:17 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,201 Likes on 1,649 Posts

i probably would not be driving like that on public roads. i don't understand how somebody can be able to afford a new Lexus yet have the personality and behavior to be doing burnouts at redline at intersections. did you ever think that you may lose your car and therefore the ability to go to work? I know from my friend who says if you are in the military and get caught doing that kind of stuff, you're done.

i also know from BMW forums I'm on if you post this kind of stuff, instant ban. just be careful dude.
Old 11-17-16, 02:57 AM
3actual
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
i probably would not be driving like that on public roads. i don't understand how somebody can be able to afford a new Lexus yet have the personality and behavior to be doing burnouts at redline at intersections. did you ever think that you may lose your car and therefore the ability to go to work? I know from my friend who says if you are in the military and get caught doing that kind of stuff, you're done.

i also know from BMW forums I'm on if you post this kind of stuff, instant ban. just be careful dude.

Word. That is how you end up in a YouTube car crash compilation.
Old 11-20-16, 04:05 PM
nslac
Rookie

[QUOTE=PatrixUSA;9682419]That would be my amateur assessment as well.
As stated above I also suspect the TC is kicking on somehow, attempting to regain traction. Do the tires gain traction when the RPMs drop? Can you do an extended burnout with TC off, (assuming your car is RWD here) spinning the rears for a time without losing RPMs?
/QUOTE]

Getting the rear wheels for smoke up is not an issue even with 20s on.

If TCS is stepping in, the revs DO NOT go past 4000rpm or below (provided my root foot is still planted on the accelerator) even after the wheels have stopped spinning.....it's only when I up-shift to 2nd, it's only then the revs will start climbing.
Old 11-20-16, 04:09 PM
nslac
Rookie

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
The car probably thinks that you've lost your mind, temporarily of course.

How fast are you going when you shift into 1st? Hopefully you haven't caused some transmission damage that is manifest through this issue.
I changed to 1st only after a complete stop.

Nah it appears to be something computer related. Normal driving and thrashing is perfect, manual/auto up shifts and down shifts are perfect.

I think the computer might be thinking wtf is going on and temporary enters some type of limp mode ?
Old 11-20-16, 04:19 PM
nslac
Rookie

Originally Posted by E46CT

Of course all this only happens on private country roads.....thought it was given.

Lexus is not my daily. Even though I baby my cars, it still open it up every now and then......don't think this is how it's driven every time.
Old 11-20-16, 04:33 PM
nslac
Rookie

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
One additional thought you might consider is to make sure your exhaust is not causing, as you mentioned in your OP how it “starts popping and farting like crazy”. If there is a leak somewhere in your exhaust it may cause the ECU to trim performance?.
Hi mate, I am certain there is no exhaust leak. I also plugged in my odb controller into the ecu over the weekend and confirmed there are no error codes (just in case). In my personal opinion, I think vehicle stability and traction control does not completely turn off and it lets you get away with things to a certain point before kicking in.

Thanks for your input by the way!
Old 11-20-16, 08:02 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

This is why it is never wise to buy a used car...why people feel the need to abuse a car is beyond me.
Old 11-20-16, 08:17 PM
nslac
Rookie

Originally Posted by EXE46
This is why it is never wise to buy a used car...why people feel the need to abuse a car is beyond me.
Thank you for putting in your 2 cents worth, really useful feedback.
Old 11-21-16, 09:32 AM
jhardy
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

There is a message in the gage cluster that will come on if the gas petal and brake are pressed at the same time. Could this be what is happening and you don't see the message because TC is off?

Quick Reply: Is it limp mode or it's some form of safety "feature"?