IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Free traffic information

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-16, 02:29 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Free traffic information

I was pleasantly surprised today to find out that SiriusXM traffic information is now free starting this year for the life of my new Lexus (if you have nav) and not extra as it was with my old Infiniti. Is that something that just Lexus does or it now standard for other makes?
Old 11-18-16, 02:33 PM
Rudiculous
Racer

Received 168 Likes on 152 Posts

TBH, your username and thread title got me
Old 11-18-16, 02:44 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

I believe 2015+ the traffic info is free for all Nav system. It uses the HD radio, instead of XM.

New car owners get XM for 3 month free.
Old 11-18-16, 03:48 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Yes, we called our dealer today to confirm you do not need a SiriusXM subscription to have this feature.
Old 11-18-16, 06:36 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 227 Likes on 180 Posts

I was told by the dealer that Lexus negotiated with SiriusXM...reduce the radio trial to 3 months and extend the traffic info for life. Idk what model years does this apply to though.
Old 11-18-16, 07:34 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I don't think there are any Lexus models left that still get Sirius XM traffic. It's all through HD Radio now.
Old 11-20-16, 03:12 PM
jlopez3983
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have a 16 is350 Fsport... and the traffic is so terrible. I still revert to my google maps for traveling to and from work everyday.
Old 11-20-16, 03:41 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jlopez3983
I have a 16 is350 Fsport... and the traffic is so terrible. I still revert to my google maps for traveling to and from work everyday.
Yeah the traffic info is not the best. Sure as hell can't beat google maps because google updates at a way faster rate.

If I'm in a rush, I also revert to Google maps for the best routes.

But it's free. So better than none.
Old 11-20-16, 09:23 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

I’m not familiar with Google maps, but doesn’t it mean you have the inconvenience of turning on an additional device rather than the factory nav that you get automatically?
Old 11-20-16, 09:27 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Magellan
I’m not familiar with Google maps, but doesn’t it mean you have the inconvenience of turning on an additional device rather than the factory nav that you get automatically?
Not familiar with Google Maps??! JK

Well I do find it way faster and easier to type in an address using my phone. And I can mount my phone on the air vents using a magnet, so its not really an issue.

However, if you download Lexus App Suite on your phone and use the "saved destination" app, this will allow you to search an address using your phone, and when you get into the car, you can pull that address from your phone. This way you don't have to mess with the car's nav system to enter an address.
Old 11-20-16, 10:18 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by nathantse
Not familiar with Google Maps??! JK

Well I do find it way faster and easier to type in an address using my phone. And I can mount my phone on the air vents using a magnet, so its not really an issue.

However, if you download Lexus App Suite on your phone and use the "saved destination" app, this will allow you to search an address using your phone, and when you get into the car, you can pull that address from your phone. This way you don't have to mess with the car's nav system to enter an address.
Please understand that at my age (I’ll be 80 in January) I hate telephones. I’m almost sorry it was ever invented. Yes, I have one in my car but I don’t carry it around like an extension to my left arm like many people do. I only use the phone to receive or send occasional calls from my family, or to use in an emergency. Putting a phone in an air vent to clog up the dash? I would no more do that than hang fuzzy dice from my rearview mirror!
Old 11-20-16, 10:22 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Magellan
Please understand that at my age (I’ll be 80 in January) I hate telephones. I’m almost sorry it was ever invented. Yes, I have one in my car but I don’t carry it around like an extension to my left arm like many people do. I only use the phone to receive or send occasional calls from my family, or to use in an emergency. Putting a phone in an air vent to clog up the dash? I would no more do that than hang fuzzy dice from my rearview mirror!
Welcome to the 21st century.

But, this is what we youngster do. I'm 23, and I need my tech. And the air vent phone mount works wonders to place a phone in the car. If you haven't notice that the 3IS cup holders are pretty useless.
Old 11-21-16, 06:08 AM
SnakeGT
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sucks that up here in Canada we don't get free traffic at all unless of course we use google traffic or any other phone app for this purpose
Old 11-21-16, 06:41 AM
Jackal84
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The nav reacted weird for me to the HD radio update. When it got a traffic update that there was some stopped traffic on my route, it asked me if I wanted a re-route, and I clicked yes. It wanted to take me on a route without any stopped traffic that was 10 minutes longer than the existing route with stopped traffic. And the car even knew that the new route was longer.
Old 11-21-16, 12:10 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,614 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
FYI, to all.

If you don't currently have a Sirius subscription, you might be able to get free traffic due to a limited time promotion Sirius is running that started Nov 15, allowing inactive radios to connect through Nov 29. Not sure if the promo includes traffic and weather though, but sounds like it might.

https://www.siriusxm.com/

After Sirius promo ends Nov 29 you can continue to receive weather and traffic forever with HD Radio.
I'm a little confused. Why would you want it through SiriusXM if you have it through HD Radio subscription free? I doubt if our nav systems can even use satellite traffic/weather as they're programmed to receive it through HD. Or am I missing something?

Quick Reply: Free traffic information