IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Broken rear windshield

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 05:02 AM
KYLESTONES
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken rear windshield

Has anyone had their rear windshield break and need replacement ? I came back to my car after work (take the train into Manhattan from Long Island) and noticed my rear windshield completely shattered. Waited for over 2 hours for the police to come and file a report, and to call my insurance company (State Farm) in the morning. I called the rail road and they seem to be trying to push responsibility onto the town (the town oversees the parking lots, and youbhave to pay and register to park there). Will be interesting to see who takes responsibility for it and reimburses me.

While filing the report, the cop estimated $400 for the glass replacement, which seemed low. I'll also have to retint the new glass, and reinstall the roof spoiler I put on there...

has anyone replaced theirs? Just wondering around how much the glass will cost (even though it should be covered one way or the other)
Old 12-15-16, 02:59 PM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

when i replaced my front windshield, it was about $700 for an OEM piece. The rear looks about the same size.
Old 12-15-16, 03:15 PM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

It looks like an obvious point of impact near the center upper portion. Did you see anything lying near the car?
Good thing you had tint, or there would be shattered glass everywhere.

I have no helpful input for you, though.
Old 12-15-16, 03:23 PM
KYLESTONES
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by doodlebug
It looks like an obvious point of impact near the center upper portion. Did you see anything lying near the car?
Good thing you had tint, or there would be shattered glass everywhere.

I have no helpful input for you, though.

found a rock on the trunk, the trunk lip caught it and kept it from rolling off. Police noted that in the police report.
Insurance is covering the cost, they let me choose a company of my choice (have a friend that does glass so I'll be able to find out the true cost). We set it up for tomorrow, and have a tint appointment scheduled for Saturday.
Old 08-15-19, 01:25 AM
aloispat
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Broken rear windshield

Cracking slowly and mysteriously...
7 years later after the original post.....was driving to work this morning and heard a "pop" sound. I thought something had hit me so I got of the road. On checking, the rear windshield was in the process of cracking producing some crackling sound. There was no evidence of anything hitting me........
Old 08-15-19, 09:05 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by aloispat

Cracking slowly and mysteriously...
7 years later after the original post.....was driving to work this morning and heard a "pop" sound. I thought something had hit me so I got of the road. On checking, the rear windshield was in the process of cracking producing some crackling sound. There was no evidence of anything hitting me........
Temperature shock maybe? That is interesting.
Old 08-16-19, 08:14 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Could be an improperly tempered glass that had a point of stress anywhere on it. And with the right conditions decided to just pop. Glass can be mysterious because any deficiencies are typically invisible until it's visible. These things are mass produced and come off the lines in the thousands, and for all makes and models of cars. So they probably don't have that specific of a process for each model and just sort of pop them out en masse and hope they turn out right. you lose a few thousand out of a few millions and it really isn't much of a cost to the manufacturer as they'll just replace it and move on. So not much incentive to make sure each and every piece is absolutely critically made. just one of those parts i guess.