14 IS250 no start

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-16, 07:30 PM
MaxiusRc
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 14 IS250 no start

Hey Guy,
New to the forum here... i have a 14 is250 and i can get the thing running for the life of me. Bought it with a broken rod, car still ran fine with no issues (other than the rod). Got a motor, did the swap. went to fire her up and got all the lights to turn on but no starter engagement. Car kept saying put vehicle into park, but the vehicle was in park. i could not get the car to read P on the cluster, the only gear it would read is Reverse. Me and my mechanics deemed it as a bad shifter. swapped a shifter and still same problem. Swapped a Park neutral safety switch and still same problem. I get no power to starter relay, if we jump the relay we can get the car to turn over but not run. Tested the main engine computer bad grounds/voltage issues, still nothing abnormal. Keep in mind, i have no dtcs being pulled on the scanner, nothing... car is good to go. Got frustrated and sent it to handpick lexus of norhlake locally in Charlotte,NC. They deemed it as a faulty keyless computer, bought the computer $700 later + labor and still same problem. They said the wiring to it was bad, traced the wires to the main engine computer and all voltage is good. Really don't want to send it back without some more opinions... I've read some threads about the ID control box behind the heater core, but i just don't see it being that.. plus don't want to pay to remove it lol.
let me know what you think
Thanks
Max
Old 12-15-16, 07:33 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

I hop you got it for a good deal. Seems like way too much work. lol.
Old 12-15-16, 07:35 PM
MaxiusRc
Driver School Candidate

The price was good, but i just can't see the problem here.. if it started and ran before it would be something stupid ya know...
Old 12-15-16, 07:40 PM
Break2
Pole Position

Could the computer be bad? Sorry if you already said that.
Old 12-16-16, 07:40 AM
dnasians
Lexus Test Driver

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by MaxiusRc
Hey Guy,
New to the forum here... i have a 14 is250 and i can get the thing running for the life of me. Bought it with a broken rod, car still ran fine with no issues (other than the rod). Got a motor, did the swap. went to fire her up and got all the lights to turn on but no starter engagement. Car kept saying put vehicle into park, but the vehicle was in park. i could not get the car to read P on the cluster, the only gear it would read is Reverse. Me and my mechanics deemed it as a bad shifter. swapped a shifter and still same problem. Swapped a Park neutral safety switch and still same problem. I get no power to starter relay, if we jump the relay we can get the car to turn over but not run. Tested the main engine computer bad grounds/voltage issues, still nothing abnormal. Keep in mind, i have no dtcs being pulled on the scanner, nothing... car is good to go. Got frustrated and sent it to handpick lexus of norhlake locally in Charlotte,NC. They deemed it as a faulty keyless computer, bought the computer $700 later + labor and still same problem. They said the wiring to it was bad, traced the wires to the main engine computer and all voltage is good. Really don't want to send it back without some more opinions... I've read some threads about the ID control box behind the heater core, but i just don't see it being that.. plus don't want to pay to remove it lol.
Thanks
Max
Originally Posted by Break2
Could the computer be bad? Sorry if you already said that.
why reply if you didn't read the post?

OP: did you get a replacement 250 or 350? i ask because the transmission's computer may not communicate properly between the 2 engines

Last edited by dnasians; 12-16-16 at 08:03 AM.
Old 12-16-16, 09:24 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Originally Posted by dnasians
why reply if you didn't read the post?

OP: did you get a replacement 250 or 350? i ask because the transmission's computer may not communicate properly between the 2 engines
Ughh... I did read the post. I didnt recall if he replaced the computer or not.
Old 12-16-16, 09:43 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

The starter circuit wiring on these cars is insanely simple but the ECU(s) have a lot of dependencies (e.g.,like the steering lock actuator has to be in the right state to permit the engine to crank - if it is not the code NG will be displayed in Techstream but no DTC is set). There should be enough diagnostic indicators available in Techstream to debug this without the need to swap parts.

Did you follow the Techstream diagnostic process in the TIS?

In particular, check the procedure documented in the SMART ACCESS SYSTEM WITH PUSH-BUTTON START..

Last edited by LeapFrog; 12-16-16 at 09:49 AM.
Old 12-17-16, 11:56 AM
MaxiusRc
Driver School Candidate

I do not follow that thread, do you have to pay for it? and i am not familiar with the tech stream program.
Old 12-17-16, 12:34 PM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I do not follow that thread, do you have to pay for it? and i am not familiar with the tech stream program.
TIS is Toyota's Technical Information System, and Techstream is their diagnostic / monitoring tool that uses a PC plus an OBD-II adapter.

Google is your friend.