IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

F-Sport Speedometer in Base model?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 03:40 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What about the buttons on the steering wheel though? I believe they are not the same for the base and the F Sport models?
Old 09-28-17, 04:32 AM
Mesh704
Instructor

Received 149 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Raghza
What about the buttons on the steering wheel though? I believe they are not the same for the base and the F Sport models?
They are the same
Old 09-28-17, 10:59 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
exactly. and you're going to have to replace more than just the instrument cluster to get the instrument cluster to work.
I'm going to correct myself as I did this conversion not so long ago. It's plug and play. super easy mod.
Old 09-29-17, 12:01 PM
Jyk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm going to correct myself as I did this conversion not so long ago. It's plug and play. super easy mod.
Do you mind sharing how much it cost to have it installed up and running?
Old 09-29-17, 12:21 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jyk
Do you mind sharing how much it cost to have it installed up and running?
the unit was used and around my mileage so I just installed it without having to bring it to the shop. the units have to be paired with the same time period as the assembly date of the car, though, and it was a bit of a challenge to try to find what I wanted -- good condition, working, and mileage close to mine. so, all in all, I paid 1200$ for the unit, although there were units being sold less expensively, they were also in poor condition or had something wrong with them. I did it by myself, so I paid no installation fee. the dealer will never know as I have 25k miles on the car and the unit came with a reading of 27k miles.
Old 09-29-17, 12:48 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 118 Posts

the unit was used and around my mileage so I just installed it without having to bring it to the shop. the units have to be paired with the same time period as the assembly date of the car, though, and it was a bit of a challenge to try to find what I wanted -- good condition, working, and mileage close to mine. so, all in all, I paid 1200$ for the unit, although there were units being sold less expensively, they were also in poor condition or had something wrong with them. I did it by myself, so I paid no installation fee. the dealer will never know as I have 25k miles on the car and the unit came with a reading of 27k miles.
Paired with the same assembly date, why's that?

The dealer will never know... do you really think that? After seeing the $1,200 price tag for a used cluster, you may as well just get a real F Sport model at that point.

Good to know it's plug and play though.
Old 09-29-17, 01:05 PM
Jyk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by GeorgeR

The dealer will never know... do you really think that? After seeing the $1,200 price tag for a used cluster, you may as well just get a real F Sport model at that point.

It might be because he got it before, but they are going for around $500 now.
Old 09-29-17, 01:23 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

because I tried a cluster from a 2016 and it didn't work, although it was verifiably working when I bought it and verifiably not when I installed it. my local Lexus dealership verified a production date of both the cluster and the car to be the same in order for it to function properly.

the cluster was as expensive as it was because of all of the requisites associated.

the dealer will of course never know with my setup, but it might raise an eyebrow if my previous odometer readings were way over my newly-acquired cluster.

anymore condescending comments you'd like to make?

Last edited by davyjordi; 09-29-17 at 01:28 PM.
Old 09-29-17, 03:41 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Even though all the clusters will plug in, the wiring is ever so slightly from year to year, so there might be a function that won't work on the cluster.
To make it really simple, get the same model year F Sport cluster as the model year of your own vehicle.
If you want to double check, just look up online for the part number for the F Sport model for your year, and make sure that you get that.
Sellers will list the cluster as fitting 2014, 2015, and/or 2016 (or some combination of those numbers), but really each cluster only fits a specific year.
And of course, make sure you have the right model...i.e. don't buy a 200t F sport cluster for a 250.
Old 09-29-17, 10:51 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

because I tried a cluster from a 2016 and it didn't work, although it was verifiably working when I bought it and verifiably not when I installed it. my local Lexus dealership verified a production date of both the cluster and the car to be the same in order for it to function properly.

the cluster was as expensive as it was because of all of the requisites associated.

the dealer will of course never know with my setup, but it might raise an eyebrow if my previous odometer readings were way over my newly-acquired cluster.

anymore condescending comments you'd like to make?
Asking for a proper explanation would help others as to why it doesn't work. This thread alone has all kinds of false info, you and someone else proved it wrong by actually doing the swap.

And some cars record the mileage on the ECU, I won't say this is one of them since I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. Which is why I said, are you SURE they won't find out.

Doing swaps like this and not matching the original mileage can be fined in some States and/or jail time since it's fraud, but hey, they'll never know right since dealers don't browse this forums... I'll leave my condescending comments out of this now.
Old 09-30-17, 03:53 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Asking for a proper explanation would help others as to why it doesn't work. This thread alone has all kinds of false info, you and someone else proved it wrong by actually doing the swap.

And some cars record the mileage on the ECU, I won't say this is one of them since I'm not sure, but I wouldn't be surprised if it is. Which is why I said, are you SURE they won't find out.

Doing swaps like this and not matching the original mileage can be fined in some States and/or jail time since it's fraud, but hey, they'll never know right since dealers don't browse this forums... I'll leave my condescending comments out of this now.
hah. even if dealerships perused these forums day and night, they'd have no way of knowing who i am, nor you. and i can assure you that no one is going to jail for having a cluster that reads 2k more miles than are actually on the personal vehicle. if i were selling cars that were tens of thousands of miles lower than the actual, then sure, but i'm not. that, and as i mentioned above, my local dealership helped with the install by providing critical information that i was unable to find elsewhere.

glad to hear you've bit your tongue.
Old 09-30-17, 10:47 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

hah. even if dealerships perused these forums day and night, they'd have no way of knowing who i am, nor you. and i can assure you that no one is going to jail for having a cluster that reads 2k more miles than are actually on the personal vehicle. if i were selling cars that were tens of thousands of miles lower than the actual, then sure, but i'm not. that, and as i mentioned above, my local dealership helped with the install by providing critical information that i was unable to find elsewhere.

glad to hear you've bit your tongue.
lol you're the one that spent $1,200 on a cluster, not me

If I wanted an F-Sport, I would have simply gotten one.
Old 09-30-17, 11:40 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

lol you're the one that spent $1,200 on a cluster, not me

If I wanted an F-Sport, I would have simply gotten one.
money well spent.
Old 09-30-17, 06:09 PM
CarlitoIS
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by BlueGrey
Mainly I would just like it for the digital speedometer, I am so blown away that my 2003 Nissan 350Z had a digital speedometer but my 2014 Lexus IS 350 does not simply because it is the base model?
It just depends. My 2006 RX-8 also had a digital speedometer. I think most people would want the "classic look" speedometer. Which is why Lexus only has it on their IS F Sport models. I don't know why they don't have a digital speedometer on the settings menu. My wife drives a 2016 Hyundai Tuscan and it has a classic speedometer with the option of having a digital speedometer on the settings menu, in the middle.
Old 09-30-17, 07:04 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,273 Likes on 1,380 Posts

GeorgeR & davyjordi, take the rude back and forth to PM please.

Quick Reply: F-Sport Speedometer in Base model?