IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Supercharger/Turbo options for IS350

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-16, 11:44 AM
cantinoz
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Supercharger/Turbo options for IS350

I know we are all waiting on the RR supercharger kit but I just wanted to ask everyone, would it be worth it? I know we all bought a lexus for its reliability but sometimes I just want it to be faster with that extra umph that pushed your body into your seat when you step on it.

How much more would a supercharger yield at most without compromising reliability? 50hp, 50tq?
Would a turbo system yield more?
I was maybe looking into having one of my old buddies look into building a custom supercharger or turbo kit for my is350.

I know we all say we should just buy another car with the money but that's just a hassle. I just to have a 2010 v10 m5 and I just miss it because it was just a beast. I want that in my lexus!
The following users liked this post:
shirosan (10-03-18)
Old 12-29-16, 12:54 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

good luck...
Old 01-03-17, 12:27 PM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by cantinoz
I was maybe looking into having one of my old buddies look into building a custom supercharger or turbo kit for my is350.

I know we all say we should just buy another car with the money but that's just a hassle.
If you think selling your car and buying another one is a hassle, wait until you start trying to custom fab and custom tune (which isnt happening) forced induction into your car. I would bet that after about one year of getting the hardware righ you'll have a forced induction IS350 that wont run right because it has no tuning. You could buy and sell 20 cars in that time and it would be a ton cheaper too.

Its a shame too. The IS350 really only needs more power and I'd want it AWD so no RC-F

Mike
Old 01-03-17, 12:30 PM
cantinoz
Rookie

I totally agree. After thinking about it these past few days, it really isn't worth it. I did happen to see the new 2018 Mercedes E63 AMG 4matic. Which is exactly what I want in a car. AWD for NYC crazy *** weather and AMG for performance. I even said it turns off 2 cyclinders when cruising to save gas. Sounds like an awesome car already!
Old 01-03-17, 12:38 PM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

Absolutely. That sounds like a great choice. Itd probably be cheaper than charging the IS too, lol. One of my cars is an S5 right now with pulleys on the supercharger and this thing is a great. I can only imagine the new E63. Gotta have the AWD with that much power. Its very nice being able to just drop the hammer even from a takeoff and have full traction.

Mike
Old 01-03-17, 12:40 PM
cantinoz
Rookie

as much as I love the reliability of lexus, it seems like they just play it too safe. Lexus is still one of my favorite cars but for the amount of money we spend, I feel like it is still missing something. I definitely need more space for the baby. The IS 350 is probably not going to make the cut.
The following users liked this post:
Bcmgunner (12-26-20)
Old 01-03-17, 12:43 PM
bhvrdr
Pit Crew

If they made an AWD IS-F and put some nice suede/alcantara interior elements with some nice Recaro style Audi seats maybe with some diamond stitching and then gave it at least 450hp at a 65k to 75K price point i'd be all over it. The IS has some really nice handling dynamics and yeah, the reliability is obviously a huge draw.

Mike
Old 01-03-17, 05:57 PM
metrik
Rookie

Does NY require an emissions test?
Old 01-03-17, 09:10 PM
Gerxiong89
Pole Position

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

It's not just rr racing. Orange virus is also coming out with a boost kit. Most likely sc. There are also a couple people running their tune and have reported good things about it. I'm on the list to get my is350 tune by orange virus for their stage 2 tune which is a Intake with bigger maf with the trans tune. However if you want speed and still lexus, just get an isf. I'm really considering getting rid of my 350 for an isf.
Old 01-04-17, 06:41 AM
cantinoz
Rookie

for those on the east coast the ISF is a great car but for the months it snows, you'd need a second car to get around. NY weather has been crazy lately. If they threw in AWD i'd be all over it like member bhvrdr.
Old 01-04-17, 11:53 AM
AMNss
Lead Lap

If you want speed there is no fast enough. I looked at the GSF and RCF sections and it seems they want to be faster. My take, get a mustang 5.0 (cheap these days) and tune it like crazy, and enjoy your lexus reliability.
Old 01-05-17, 11:16 AM
Roffles
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Even if that supercharger cranked out an extra 100hp with the right pulley, your power/weight ratio is still only going to be in the ballpark of a Camaro SS or Mustang GT. And in my most humble opinion, the IS chassis and suspension won't do the added power without spoiling the driving dynamics. The car is tuned for understeer in the corners, and in my experience you can put down that 300hp at nearly full throttle and the chassis will take it at the threshold of being safe and enjoyable... any more power and you'll have a twitchy unpredictable car. At 400hp, I would rather have a chassis tuned for slight oversteer.

I went from a Honda Civic DX (115hp) to a Lexus ISF daily driver and I was completely accustomed to the power within 6 months and then bored and wanting more power within 18 months. For a while I was considering nos or an entirely faster car. But then I took a step back and had a major realization: As a daily driver, I spend most of my time staring at the bumper of the slowpoke in front of me and all that power is for nothing 9 drives out of 10.... pissing joyless dollars out the tailpipe and high dollar maintenance/parts that aren't being used for their intended purpose. So I decided to back away from high performance daily driving and got into the IS350 because I couldn't rationally justify it. That's my perspective on it at least.

The IS350 is quick enough to hustle around the town and drive aggressively to get their faster when needed. And forgetting about the perceived lack of power for a second, the IS350 F-sport with Potenza SS rubber is fun enough to put a smile on my face when I find a weekend twisty road. And knowing that I'm not that deep into the car financially, compared to a waaaaay more expensive AMG or Audi S, I don't have that urge to baby it and treat it like a queen (which in my opinion is a completely retarded way of treating your daily driver because the inevitable door dings, rock chips, bird crap, scratches, fender benders, and acts of god will happen). If I went Audi S or Merc AMG or back to a future F car, it would be a weekend only car so I could at least savor the added performance.
The following 2 users liked this post by Roffles:
dlreyess (11-01-21), shirosan (10-03-18)
Old 10-24-17, 05:25 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,401 Likes on 643 Posts

Just a little update to anyone subscribing to this thread... after extensive development and testing, we recently released the 3IS Supercharger kit:

Details on our website: http://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-R...isxscr1001.htm

and track testing video here:

Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 05-22-19, 03:16 AM
nal831
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Roffles
Even if that supercharger cranked out an extra 100hp with the right pulley, your power/weight ratio is still only going to be in the ballpark of a Camaro SS or Mustang GT. And in my most humble opinion, the IS chassis and suspension won't do the added power without spoiling the driving dynamics. The car is tuned for understeer in the corners, and in my experience you can put down that 300hp at nearly full throttle and the chassis will take it at the threshold of being safe and enjoyable... any more power and you'll have a twitchy unpredictable car. At 400hp, I would rather have a chassis tuned for slight oversteer.

I went from a Honda Civic DX (115hp) to a Lexus ISF daily driver and I was completely accustomed to the power within 6 months and then bored and wanting more power within 18 months. For a while I was considering nos or an entirely faster car. But then I took a step back and had a major realization: As a daily driver, I spend most of my time staring at the bumper of the slowpoke in front of me and all that power is for nothing 9 drives out of 10.... pissing joyless dollars out the tailpipe and high dollar maintenance/parts that aren't being used for their intended purpose. So I decided to back away from high performance daily driving and got into the IS350 because I couldn't rationally justify it. That's my perspective on it at least.

The IS350 is quick enough to hustle around the town and drive aggressively to get their faster when needed. And forgetting about the perceived lack of power for a second, the IS350 F-sport with Potenza SS rubber is fun enough to put a smile on my face when I find a weekend twisty road. And knowing that I'm not that deep into the car financially, compared to a waaaaay more expensive AMG or Audi S, I don't have that urge to baby it and treat it like a queen (which in my opinion is a completely retarded way of treating your daily driver because the inevitable door dings, rock chips, bird crap, scratches, fender benders, and acts of god will happen). If I went Audi S or Merc AMG or back to a future F car, it would be a weekend only car so I could at least savor the added performance.
So I've been in this isf craze as of recent seeing as there are many popping up around for around mid $20s. I'm currently in a 350. I've been reading random threads on the isf and other related topics and this single post has effectively hit me with the sobering truth and realization that I need to take my head out of the clouds and come back to earth. My 350 is plenty. And I dont need the additional financial burden for extra horsepower that I will only ever experience seconds every week. For some reason I thought toting those flares fenders and extra "f"s around my car would make me happier. But once I do I will want a gtr next. Gratitude my friend. You helped me realize it this second. Thanks lol.
The following 2 users liked this post by nal831:
Leonidas2k (12-17-20), phantom479 (07-03-23)
Old 03-29-21, 06:23 AM
GrizzlyMan
Intermediate

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts
Default lacks crucial information

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Just a little update to anyone subscribing to this thread... after extensive development and testing, we recently released the 3IS Supercharger kit:

Details on our website: http://www.rr-racing.com/RR-Racing-R...isxscr1001.htm

and track testing video here:

https://youtu.be/Z5rY1Q733dk
Your post and link is at least THREE yrs old, and there is no explanation about the system, just the basic bullet entries in the page.

Edelbrock does a great job presenting their product. For 6k, pls, show detail pictures of the build, where are the pdf manuals to review the installation?

Quick Reply: Supercharger/Turbo options for IS350