IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Lease ending : where would you go from here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-17 | 08:41 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Default Lease ending : where would you go from here?

Hi all,

My lease on my 2014 IS350 is ending and it's been great. I drove less than the mileage I paid for, I maintained the car extremely well and now I feel bad letting it go, so there's no turning it back in. So I have 2 options :

1 - Sell it to my brother and get Jaguar XE or Alfa Giulia if it ever makes it here...
2 - Purchase it. It needs brakes and tires, and the front bumper is filled with rock chips because my daily commute is mostly highway. I also have a tiny, barely visible ding on a door, which I might fix with PDR. Everything else is immaculate.

I wish they had completely redesigned the IS so I could lease one right away... the refresh is meh... and we don't get RWD in Canada anymore.

Here is a picture from 2 months ago What would you guys do?

Old 01-03-17 | 08:48 PM
SilvrBulet
Rookie

I love the ultrasonic blue! Amazing colour. What do you mean we don't get RWD in Canada anymore? Last I heard in Ontario the RWD is still being offered.

As for your current dilemma, are they giving you a good price if you purchase it? Depending on how old you are, the XE may not be fitting. I'd lean more towards a CLA45 AMG, or an Audi S4. Not a huge fan of the S4 exterior as I personally think it looks kind of like a Jetta but those might be some options to consider.
Old 01-03-17 | 08:59 PM
Gerxiong89
Pole Position

If they give you a good price then keep it. Love the usb and the car is so far very reliable.
Old 01-03-17 | 09:00 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Thanks. The IS350 RWD isn't available anymore in Canada. I just don't get why we still have the IS200t RWD... how many do they sell a year?
The buyback is 24k CAD + 15% taxes + tires and brakes = 29k-30k

I'm 31 so yeah the XE isn't the most fitting, but the R-Sport is... quite sporty :P
I like the S4 but I also think it looks like a riced up Jetta
3-series : my wife drove one until last year + we had lots of trouble with the F30
C-class : my wife is driving it currently
That doesn't leave too many options! With the Giulia supposedly arriving Q1 2017 and my lease ending in May, I don't know if that's a possibility.
Old 01-03-17 | 09:03 PM
SilvrBulet
Rookie

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
Thanks. The IS350 RWD isn't available anymore in Canada. I just don't get why we still have the IS200t RWD... how many do they sell a year?
The buyback is 24k CAD + 15% taxes + tires and brakes = 29k-30k

I'm 31 so yeah the XE isn't the most fitting, but the R-Sport is... quite sporty :P
I like the S4 but I also think it looks like a riced up Jetta
3-series : my wife drove one until last year + we had lots of trouble with the F30
C-class : my wife is driving it currently
That doesn't leave too many options! With the Giulia supposedly arriving Q1 2017 and my lease ending in May, I don't know if that's a possibility.
Dude I'm no expert on the Alfa's but I've heard on various forums that they are plagued with problems. If not, it looks like a pretty sweet ride. BMW M2 a possibility?
Old 01-03-17 | 09:07 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Yeah italians aren't the most reliable cars + it's quite expensive for what you get. It feels like you pay for a name... just like most Italian brands hahaha
I'd like to keep 4 doors and not go back to BMW any soon :P
Old 01-03-17 | 09:24 PM
yardie876
Lexus Champion

The Genesis G80 Sport arrives this spring. That might be a possibility given how sporty the car actually ends up being. The twin turbo V6 I hear is a gem.
Attached Thumbnails Lease ending : where would you go from here?-photo876.jpg  
Old 01-03-17 | 09:30 PM
mjh09e
Lexus Test Driver

It sounds like the Q50 Red Sport is calling your name. The 2017 got some nice updates and apparently the car has an awesome design package with a quilted interior. I would recommend taking one of those for a test drive...they are A LOT of fun to drive.
Old 01-04-17 | 05:36 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

I checked out and test drove the XE a couple months back and the ride/handling are superb. Best in class. But, I couldn't get over that stark-looking interior, out-dated infotainment, and loud unrefined vibration-inducing diesel engine (didn't test drive the supercharged V6).

In short, I signed on a '17 blue A4 S-Line and it's a nicely polished car with nice tech, but I'm not feeling any passion for it. I miss the IS and looking to get back into a '17 (very soon)!
Old 01-04-17 | 06:13 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

If I were leasing, I'd go BMW 340 all day long. You give up a little handing but it's a rocket ship and you get to return it after a couple years of abuse

I bought my IS so I had to get a car that could take my driving style for 8 years reliably. I didn't think the BMW could have taken it
The following users liked this post:
IreneIS350 (01-04-17)
Old 01-04-17 | 09:08 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mjh09e
It sounds like the Q50 Red Sport is calling your name. The 2017 got some nice updates and apparently the car has an awesome design package with a quilted interior. I would recommend taking one of those for a test drive...they are A LOT of fun to drive.
Maybe not Red Sport, but I do like the Q50 Sport. I'll visit the dealer next week.I find the IS350 more than enough for my type of driving. 100 extra hp would be a waste!

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I checked out and test drove the XE a couple months back and the ride/handling are superb. Best in class. But, I couldn't get over that stark-looking interior, out-dated infotainment, and loud unrefined vibration-inducing diesel engine (didn't test drive the supercharged V6).

In short, I signed on a '17 blue A4 S-Line and it's a nicely polished car with nice tech, but I'm not feeling any passion for it. I miss the IS and looking to get back into a '17 (very soon)!
I saw your review of the A4, thanks for doing it.I'd love to love the A4 but I also find it bland...

Originally Posted by EZZ
If I were leasing, I'd go BMW 340 all day long. You give up a little handing but it's a rocket ship and you get to return it after a couple years of abuse

I bought my IS so I had to get a car that could take my driving style for 8 years reliably. I didn't think the BMW could have taken it
I'm not the type to drive my cars that hard. I often find myself fearing a ticket, fearing making a mistake or being a victim of someone's stupidity. Radar detectors are illegal here...
My wife just got out of a F30 lease so I'd like something different, plus we had lots of trouble with that car.
Old 01-05-17 | 12:32 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
Maybe not Red Sport, but I do like the Q50 Sport. I'll visit the dealer next week.I find the IS350 more than enough for my type of driving. 100 extra hp would be a waste!I saw your review of the A4, thanks for doing it.I'd love to love the A4 but I also find it bland...I'm not the type to drive my cars that hard. I often find myself fearing a ticket, fearing making a mistake or being a victim of someone's stupidity. Radar detectors are illegal here...
My wife just got out of a F30 lease so I'd like something different, plus we had lots of trouble with that car.
What kind issues did you have? Was it the 328? Just curious.
Old 01-05-17 | 06:16 AM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

It was the 335i M-Sport Xdrive. We had a few check-engine lights, parking sensors misbehaving, driver's window opening on its own when you lock the car, and a wheezing sound coming from front wheels, which turned out to be the differential... technician said it was a couple thousand dollars repair if it wasn't under warranty.

We took it in a dozen times moslty for different problems, not normal for a brand new leased car. And no we're not picky, they diagnosed something each time. I kept all papers in the BMW folder they give you when you get the car... man that folder is thick hahahaha! It won't even fold and close, not joking. My Lexus folder is very thin though :P
Old 01-05-17 | 08:46 AM
SolsticeM
Driver School Candidate

I was in the same boat. I think you'll find the red sports interiors to be lacking compared to our IS interior, especially the steering wheel.

I was stuck between the XE R-Sport and 340i, but then I got a lease offer from Lexus a full $100+ below both for 12k miles instead of 10k... easy decision to get the '17 IS350.
Old 01-05-17 | 11:49 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

i like cars that don't look like everything on the road. saw a review of the alfa and liked it a lot. there's a 2.0 turbo coming but if cost isn't a big deal the Quadrifoglio is something.

Quick Reply: Lease ending : where would you go from here?