IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

IS250 F Sport Moon roof Rattle?

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-19, 01:39 PM
alexkidd
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine rattles bad when closed. Bumpy road its non stop. If I crack it open it stops.
Old 02-01-19, 02:13 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Received 315 Likes on 251 Posts

Installed the weather strip again.
Removed glass entirely making easier to insure good fit all the way around.
Best this way as it needs to be moved around during installation to get a good fit and allow it to tilt up/down smoothly.

​​​​​​As for my issue yesterday...
Based on what I've read a little water coming through is totally normal. I didn't think this was the case. However, those moonroof drains are there for a purpose and put to use frequently across all brands it appears. Especially I would imagine if you have this rattle. It rattles because...it's not sealed tightly.

Be curious to know what anyone else finds if inspecting during a heavy rain.
Old 02-01-19, 02:19 PM
HOMER350
Racer

Before I cleaned it all up. Good opportunity for clean above shade so it doesn't fall I to headliner.

The drains look to have been used long before I got there.

Old 02-15-19, 08:32 AM
clov3r
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Had this just about done in 20 min....
Marked exactly where the glass was screwed in, to reset where it was, old strip off, cleaned the surrounding trim, and new one on.

However....
IT DIDNT FIT

Annoying. Had the old one back on and tightened up in easily but played around with the new piece and it's just too long. Only 1 idea on how it may play out differently but didn't see many options...

Bob, what madel/year is your IS? Cause I have the same part number.

It's not perfectly in place in this picture but you can see the fit.
This is exactly what happened with mine!!! (2014 IS350 F Sport). To further complicate things, mylparts.com also shows 63251-53030 as a fit for our cars. Did the 62351-53060 end up fitting and not leaking water again? For anyone reading this thread, DO NOT order from lexuspartsnow.com Horrible service. They sent me the part 63251-53061 and it fit just like Homer350's pic above (despite being listed as a direct fit on their website). When I contacted them for refund they were only willing to do it if I paid the shipping back and they would charge me a 20% restocking fee. I asked them to waive the shipping and restocking fee since it was listed as the right part, and suggested they measure the gasket when they get it back and compare it to another of the same part number and they stopped responding to my emails. Ended up having to get Chase involved... they (lexuspartsnow) responded to Chase accusing me of ordering the wrong part number and I had to send proof that I ordered the correct part, and I'm waiting on Chase now to hopefully approve the dispute. Lexus parts now also have an F rating with the BBB bureau (https://www.bbb.org/us/ga/roswell/pr...-0443-27503067) So if you buy a gasket, I'd highly recommend steering clear of them.
Old 02-15-19, 09:20 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Sorry to hear your similar experience.
It's not their fault it didnt fit but they should obviously have taken better care of you, they have competitors and we live in an age of online reviews! Not a coincidence they have poor BBB rating apparently.

That part number was also provided to me by my local dealer, as well as mylparts.com, which is where I ordered. They did not show part 63251-53030 when I ordered, in fact i never came across that # anywhere.

The part ending in 60 did fit the 2nd time I put it on.
It's the "old" part but it's still in stock at dealers and online. Just make sure you specify which you want. And being the "old" part number it still does not match the original, see pic in previous post.

It's a loose fit so the technique is too remove glass entirely and gently put it on without stretching at all. I wouldn't put it on in a circular fashion wrapping around the edges (because you end up with all the slack at one spot). Apply evenly across different sections 10" at a time front, back, side, corner, etc. until fully on there. Makes sense I hope.
Old 02-15-19, 09:24 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Oh and mine still needs tweaking. When closing from tilt position it will get caught and will open back up. Never a problem when I put the original back on (twice). I'll fix it this afternoon, has to be just perfect as it's very finicky that strip being looser than expected.
Old 02-15-19, 09:30 AM
clov3r
Driver School Candidate

Sorry to hear your similar experience.
It's not their fault it didnt fit but they should obviously have taken better care of you, they have competitors and we live in an age of online reviews! Not a coincidence they have poor BBB rating apparently.

That part number was also provided to me by my local dealer, as well as mylparts.com, which is where I ordered. They did not show part 63251-53030 when I ordered, in fact i never came across that # anywhere.

The part ending in 60 did fit the 2nd time I put it on.
It's the "old" part but it's still in stock at dealers and online. Just make sure you specify which you want. And being the "old" part number it still does not match the original, see pic in previous post.

It's a loose fit so the technique is too remove glass entirely and gently put it on without stretching at all. I wouldn't put it on in a circular fashion wrapping around the edges (because you end up with all the slack at one spot). Apply evenly across different sections 10" at a time front, back, side, corner, etc. until fully on there. Makes sense I hope.
Thanks for the info. It isn't their fault that it didn't fit, but it is their fault that they list it as a "direct fit" for my VIN number and are unwilling to waive the restocking fee. I even offered to pay the shipping back still (which means I'd pay shipping twice) as long as they waived the re-stocking fee, but they just straight stopped responding to my emails.

Anyways, I didn't come across the 63251-53030 part number until today when I was looking on mylparts.com after coming across them in another thread that said they are/were a sponsor of ClubLexus. Thanks for the fitment tips... I may just end up taking it to the dealer when I take my car in for an alignment and ask how much they'd charge to install the 53060 part number so I can save the hassle of trying to get it to fit correctly. Hope you get the tilt issue resolved!
Old 02-15-19, 10:18 AM
HOMER350
Racer

With the issues I and other have had, may be a good bet to get it resolved at the dealer. You then at least get the service and they'll make it right.

63251-53060 or 63251-53061 were $88 at my dealer. Install probably 1 hour charge, or whatever their computer says.
Old 02-17-19, 10:18 AM
clov3r
Driver School Candidate

With the issues I and other have had, may be a good bet to get it resolved at the dealer. You then at least get the service and they'll make it right.

63251-53060 or 63251-53061 were $88 at my dealer. Install probably 1 hour charge, or whatever their computer says.
Thanks! My dealer has been pretty fair with their prices so far, so I might just have them do it
Old 10-17-21, 10:22 AM
wongnee
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by bayarea3is
hey not sure if you got this fixed already, but my MY2014's sunroof was rattling too and the noise would go away if i crack open the sunroof. You're right the sound is more muffled when the shade is closed. Long story short, after a few trips to the service center they found out that its the sunroof's weatherstripping...it expands over time from the sun. It was replaced through warranty and ever since then the noise is completely gone! so have them check that...
Hi! Does weatherstripping mean the resin around the top of sunroof? Thanks
Old 10-17-21, 10:32 AM
wongnee
Intermediate

Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by alexkidd
Mine rattles bad when closed. Bumpy road its non stop. If I crack it open it stops.
My car is having the same issue. I thought that it was the front right suspension but one day I opened the sunroof a little and realized that it is the closed sunroof that is causing the noise...