IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

New Sub box

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-17, 02:59 PM
jmoses77
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Sub box

I went over to the car audio place today to check out the progress on the custom sub box. The shop has had it all week and have made great progress. The mould is all finished, test fit, and ready to fine tune and send out to fiberglass. The fitment is spot on. It tucks right in the rear passenger side wheel well and still retains use of the cargo net mounting clips as well as the trunk carpet (without trimming). The spare wheel and jack kit are still accessible without removing the box. The box will fit either a 10" or 12" sub up to the size of a JL Audio 10w7. Here are some pictures of the very rough box. It still needs to be sanded, tweaked, and then sent to fiberglass. the finished product, I am assured, will be fine tuned and covered with the truck carpet material. There will be two mounting points and the finished product will fit into the trunk seamlessly.
One of the coolest things about this sub box is that it barely takes away any space from trunk capacity. The is was incredibly important to me as I am toting around stuff for two young children. Maximizing the trunk space was a necessity.
Here are the pictures of the very rough box in the trunk.

I want to stress that I am in no way affiliated with the shop. I was lucky enough to find them, and just a couple of towns over from where I live. The owner used my car as the test model so that he could get a prototype and them see if there was interest. He already makes a custom box for the 2is. He had been looking for a test car for the 3is for a while and I happened to come at the right time. He has already given me a huge discount because he had my car for a week and it served as the test fit vehicle. He has really helped me out with cost so there is nothing more that I need to gain financially. Without even mentioning the name of the shop i wanted to see if there was interest in this product and perhaps a group buy. The box has yet to go to fiberglass so if people were interested he might be able to put in initial orders for more than just mine. He mentioned to me that these would retail for around 350.00 and that he would be able, at the beginning to get word out, do a deal with a JL Audio 10w3 sub for 499.00. That would be $100 off the price of the box.
Again I want to stress that I am in no way affiliated with the shop and am not gaining anything. All you West Coasters have shops at every corner, not the case here in New Hampshire. I'm just trying to help out a local business whose work is top notch.

Oh, I also had some RS-R down springs installed. I failed to post pictures of that as I am sure by now everyone has seen a white 2014 is350 F-sport on springs.

Cheers all. Just reply to this thread if you are interested.
Attached Thumbnails New Sub box-img_1778.jpg   New Sub box-img_1780.jpg   New Sub box-img_1782.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
sixbanger (09-29-19)
Old 02-25-17, 03:47 PM
geigerbran
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is he going to make them for both sides for people that like too much bass.
Old 02-25-17, 04:00 PM
jmoses77
Rookie

Originally Posted by geigerbran
Is he going to make them for both sides for people that like too much bass.
I'm sure that he can. I believe that the reason he chose that side was that on the driver side it would block an access panel (fuses maybe) and would inhibit the raising of the panel over the spare tire. If you are willing to sacrifice ease of access I'm sure anything can be done.
Old 02-25-17, 04:00 PM
JorgeNery
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would be interested.. been looking for a pre made one similitud to this. Saw one on eBay for like $1500. Hit me up... where is the shop?
Old 02-25-17, 07:02 PM
Antnie2418
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I am extremely interested let me know asap
Old 02-26-17, 09:17 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just FYI there is nothing under that panel but a great place to put an amp.

Old 02-26-17, 10:14 AM
Antnie2418
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

What sub did you end up using ?
Old 02-26-17, 10:41 AM
jmoses77
Rookie

Originally Posted by RAMAIR
Just FYI there is nothing under that panel but a great place to put an amp.

That is where my amp is going as well. What I was referring to is the little access hole that is actually on the back of the driver side wheel well in the trunk. It is about the size of a golfball. I'm not 100% sure what it is for but there must be access to something. Either way, the sub is going in the same location as yours just on the passenger side of the car.
Old 02-26-17, 10:45 AM
jmoses77
Rookie

Originally Posted by Antnie2418
What sub did you end up using ?

I ended up with a JL Audio 10w3. I am not looking for soul rattling bass, just a little boost at the bottom end. As I mentioned in my original post the box will fit a 10" or 12" sub and the owner was pretty sure that a 10w7 would fit. The 10w7 is powerful. Way more than I was looking for. He said that with the box and the 10w3 he would charge 499.00. That is $100 off the list price. The box by itself will be 350.00
Old 02-26-17, 11:53 AM
geigerbran
Pit Crew

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'd buy it for both sides.
Old 02-26-17, 02:12 PM
jmoses77
Rookie

Originally Posted by geigerbran
I'd buy it for both sides.
I'm sure that he would do it but I'm pretty sure that he would have to start from scratch for a mould for the driver side. I'm not in a position where I can or want to lose my car again for another week in order to get one made. PM if you would like the shop's contact info. I'm sure he would entertain the thought of making boxes so that you could have two subs, one on each side.

Cheers
Old 02-28-17, 08:46 PM
DerekGordo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the volume of the enclosure?
Old 03-01-17, 03:15 AM
jmoses77
Rookie

Originally Posted by DerekGordo
What is the volume of the enclosure?

Don't have the exact measurement but the owner of the shop/builder said that the volume was right around one cubic foot, like .95 cubic feet.
Old 03-02-17, 04:07 PM
Silec
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very interested
Old 03-02-17, 04:56 PM
jmoses77
Rookie

Originally Posted by Silec
Very interested
PM'd you the contact info!