How to remove the tail lights?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-17, 12:22 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to remove the tail lights?

As the title states..
I have led turn signals but I can't figure out how to remove the tail lights. I took the 2 screws out near the liner
in the trunk but it wouldn't budge..
Help please!
Old 02-27-17, 02:55 PM
3actual
Driver

I removed my taillights to clean out the leaves this past fall. If i remember correctly after you pull the two bolts the taillights comes straight out. I would recommend cleaning the area first and tape the painted edges of the body around the tail light. That way you dont scratch the paint when pulling the light out or putting it in.
Old 02-27-17, 02:59 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 3actual
I removed my taillights to clean out the leaves this past fall. If i remember correctly after you pull the two bolts the taillights comes straight out. I would recommend cleaning the area first and tape the painted edges of the body around the tail light. That way you dont scratch the paint when pulling the light out or putting it in.
So it's only those 2 bolts holding the lights in? I tried pulling it, not super hard but with decent strength and it wouldn't come out. I didn't wanna break it or nothing haha
Old 02-27-17, 03:29 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I find it hard to believe the entire housing is held on by two bolts.
Go on ebay, find images of the tail light housing and see if there are more mounting points.
I wouldn't be surprised if the rear bumper have to be removed to access mounting points or clips on the bottom of the housing.
Old 02-27-17, 03:50 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

1. REMOVE LUGGAGE COMPARTMENT DOOR COVER
2. REMOVE REAR LIGHT ASSEMBLY(a) Disconnect the connector.
(b) Remove the 4 nuts and rear light assembly.

To remove the rear Combination light:

1. REMOVE REAR LIGHT COVER

(a) Using a screwdriver with its tip wrapped with protective tape, disengage the 6 claws to remove the 2 rear light covers.

Protective Tape
2. REMOVE REAR COMBINATION LIGHT ASSEMBLY

(a) Apply protective tape around the rear combination light assembly as shown in the illustration.

Protective Tape
(b) Remove the 2 screws.
*a
Pin
*b
Guide
(c) Push the rear combination light assembly toward the rear of the vehicle to disengage the pin.

NOTICE:

To prevent the rear combination light assembly from springing out and falling when it is disengaged, place your hand on the rear combination light assembly and press down gently.

HINT:

Pushing on the portion A in the illustration toward the rear of the vehicle will make disengagement of the pin easier.

(d) Disengage the 3 guides to disconnect the rear combination light assembly as shown in the illustration.
Old 02-28-17, 07:25 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I've just recently replaced the turn signal bulbs with LED bulbs. you should be able to find the exact instructions in the User's Manual on how to remove the light assembly and changing the bulbs. The are not only two screws that hold the light assembly, but inside, are a number of clips that hold it in place as well. Take care not to bend the clips and be sure to put them back in place on the light assembly before pushing it back it.

It is also very important to put masking tape around the body where the light assembly will slide out to prevent scratches.
Old 02-28-17, 11:05 AM
Matroushi
Pit Crew

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by zhifan1
I've just recently replaced the turn signal bulbs with LED bulbs. you should be able to find the exact instructions in the User's Manual on how to remove the light assembly and changing the bulbs. The are not only two screws that hold the light assembly, but inside, are a number of clips that hold it in place as well. Take care not to bend the clips and be sure to put them back in place on the light assembly before pushing it back it.

It is also very important to put masking tape around the body where the light assembly will slide out to prevent scratches.
This. The owner's manual has pretty good instructions and drawings on how to pull it out.