Questions of how to touch-up rock chips on ultra white

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-17, 06:08 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts
Default Questions of how to touch-up rock chips on ultra white

Hey guys,

Did a little search, but couldn't find any straight answers..

So, I just got my 2 stage ultra white touch up pens from the dealer, and going to touch up some rock chips in the front bumper this weekend. (I know I should of got a clear bra )

Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to effectively apply the 2 stage process? One bottle is white, the other is clear with sparkles. The bottle says let the base white dry for 24 hours before applying the clear... what???! And some ppl on the forums say they MIX the two together and apply it on one go.

Anyone got some experience with touch ups?

Feedback are appreciated!
Old 03-03-17, 07:54 PM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by nathantse
Hey guys,

Did a little search, but couldn't find any straight answers..

So, I just got my 2 stage ultra white touch up pens from the dealer, and going to touch up some rock chips in the front bumper this weekend. (I know I should of got a clear bra )

Can anyone point me in the right direction of how to effectively apply the 2 stage process? One bottle is white, the other is clear with sparkles. The bottle says let the base white dry for 24 hours before applying the clear... what???! And some ppl on the forums say they MIX the two together and apply it on one go.

Anyone got some experience with touch ups?

Feedback are appreciated!
Ya thats right, for better outcome base white for a day bro and then apply the clear coat, don't mix, this is dealer OEM do as they said, those guys were talking about aftermarket they have all in one. shake very well before you apply, post a pic see what kind of touch pen you got, maybe Canadian one is different. Canadian one comes with 1 pen and 2 heads , 1 for paint and other 1 for Clear coat, put the pen head against your bumper and press until the paint comes out, aftermarket one comes with Brush, i called Lexus Canada and asked what the heck did they give me and then the Tech told me how to use it.
Old 03-03-17, 09:15 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Solara350
Ya thats right, for better outcome base white for a day bro and then apply the clear coat, don't mix, this is dealer OEM do as they said, those guys were talking about aftermarket they have all in one. shake very well before you apply, post a pic see what kind of touch pen you got, maybe Canadian one is different. Canadian one comes with 1 pen and 2 heads , 1 for paint and other 1 for Clear coat, put the pen head against your bumper and press until the paint comes out, aftermarket one comes with Brush, i called Lexus Canada and asked what the heck did they give me and then the Tech told me how to use it.
Ohh okay.

The bottles I got have a ball point pen as well as a brush. I think I will use the pen, seems like it would be easier to control.
Old 03-04-17, 06:37 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Ohh okay.

The bottles I got have a ball point pen as well as a brush. I think I will use the pen, seems like it would be easier to control.
Ya after i done i figured why Lexus have that kind of touchup pen, it makes you easy to control the paint within the scratch area unlike the aftermarket one even if you very careful but you still notice the touchup, the Lexus pen unless you look very closely and carefully to see it. Man i'm trading in my current car, the dealership took 30 mins to inspect my car but they did not see it hahaha
Old 03-28-17, 05:30 PM
KietV

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How'd applying the paint go? I just received my two bottles from the dealership. Will apply this weekend.
Old 03-28-17, 05:47 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KietV

How'd applying the paint go? I just received my two bottles from the dealership. Will apply this weekend.
What kind if coating in the bottle on the left?

Some touch-ups were good, if it's small. But bigger ones are kinda tough to work with. U have to apply a few thin coats and build it up. My job wasn't the best, if u look hard you can still see the spots. But raw away, it looks good.
Old 03-28-17, 05:54 PM
KietV

What kind if coating in the bottle on the left?

Some touch-ups were good, if it's small. But bigger ones are kinda tough to work with. U have to apply a few thin coats and build it up. My job wasn't the best, if u look hard you can still see the spots. But raw away, it looks good.
i am guessing it's the base coat (BC) and the bottle says the use the abrasive tip on the metal before applying.
Old 03-28-17, 05:57 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Ohh.. I got two bottles that look identical. Just one is base and one is clear. I didn't really use the clear coat on the chips.
Old 03-28-17, 06:51 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

This is one of the best videos on Youtube for paint chip repair. To make it truly invisible, you need lots of time and patience. The secret is many thin coats rather than one blob.

Old 03-28-17, 10:05 PM
KietV

Thanks for the video it's very informative. Too bad I don't have that kind of pantience or skills lol.