IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Crappy Windshield glass?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-17, 10:04 AM
Break2
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SwitchUps
Google crystal fusion. We sell it here at the dealership I work at. I think it can help you guys out.
Where do you buy it? How much is it?
Old 03-25-17, 10:34 AM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well I live in Minnesota and we do it here at the dealership. You may have to contact them directly to see where they are sold at in your area.

It's usually only a couple hundred. I think we sell it for 175.
Old 03-25-17, 10:56 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Originally Posted by Break2
Is there any type of aftermarket glass that can be used?
Probably. But you get what you pay for. You'll get less optical clarity (waves, etc). I'd always only use OE glass. Glass pits, chips, etc. fact of life.

Crystal fusion is just some coating, seriously doubt it would do anything more than RainX. Maybe it's designed to fill in the pits once they occur, I don't know. Seems like one of those dealer free money items like undercoat. Clearplex at least will guarantee your windshield and will replace it free if it cracks.

Last edited by TimboIS; 03-25-17 at 11:06 AM.
Old 03-25-17, 11:25 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Yeah, what is this Crystal Fusion you speak of?! I work at a Lexus dealer too, and the only thing I hear that we apply is Zurich Shield. (think is some sort of sealant for the windshield?)
Old 03-25-17, 12:49 PM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

I don't work for a lexus dealer. I work for a Honda dealer. It's a coating that goes on the windshield to bead off rain and make i more durable. Also if a chip or crack occurs they will fix or replace the glass under their five year warranty. Only catchy thing is that you have to report the chip/crack within 24hrs.
Old 03-25-17, 12:57 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by SwitchUps
I don't work for a lexus dealer. I work for a Honda dealer. It's a coating that goes on the windshield to bead off rain and make i more durable. Also if a chip or crack occurs they will fix or replace the glass under their five year warranty. Only catchy thing is that you have to report the chip/crack within 24hrs.
Oh I see. Well in that case, just buy rainx & do it yourself for rain beads lol. Lexus does have a windshield protection plan I believe, but not sure what the fine prints says regarding fixing or replacing the windsheild.

If any case, insurance companies will be able to replace the windsheild when it gets bad enough. Usually is like a couple hundred bucks out of pocket? Not sure, I had not need to get mine replaced.
Old 03-25-17, 01:48 PM
SwitchUps
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by nathantse
Oh I see. Well in that case, just buy rainx & do it yourself for rain beads lol. Lexus does have a windshield protection plan I believe, but not sure what the fine prints says regarding fixing or replacing the windsheild.

If any case, insurance companies will be able to replace the windsheild when it gets bad enough. Usually is like a couple hundred bucks out of pocket? Not sure, I had not need to get mine replaced.
I had to fill a chip a couple of months ago. I didn't have to pay anything and my rate didn't increase at all. Every plan is different though.
Old 03-25-17, 10:32 PM
TinoPing
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I took my 2017 IS on its first road trip, Seattle to Portland. Long and behold, I heard a stone smack pretty hard on the driver's side. On close inspection, It caused a tiny pit but luckily no crack two days in. Initially I asked the guy who did the clear bra if he can tint the windshield from the outside, he said he can put a 50% film and some sort of clear bra on top of that for the windshield that will protect it from pitting and cracks. But he did say that will need to be replaced every two years, no sure why, but I'm now thinking it's worth it.
Old 03-25-17, 11:12 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

I'm on my third windshield already. The roads are covered in the gravel here. The OEM windshield seems to crack very easily compared to other vehicles I've had.

I considered ClearPlex but the film needs regular replacement since it does get scratched over time, especially by the windshield wipers. Luckily, I don't have any of the safety features that work through the windshield or rain sensing wipers so the glass isn't too expensive. Have gone with OEM glass the last 2 times but might try after market this time.

Last edited by computerwi; 03-25-17 at 11:16 PM.
Old 03-27-17, 09:14 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,876 Likes on 1,957 Posts

Had a pit in my windshield fixed... Only 5k miles on the odometer. I don't do much highway driving normally, (majority of the route I take to work is city streets with 35 MPH speed limits) so I guess I got unlucky.

I am a bit concerned about it, since I used to do more highway driving in my previous cars and never had an issue like this.
Old 03-27-17, 09:34 AM
ToDesi
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 8 Posts

I have a nice long crack, only had the car for 14mths.
Old 04-07-17, 09:50 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just replaced the factory windshield with an aftermarket one after the oem started to crack horizontally after some small debris hit it on the drivers side corner. Got a quote of nearly $700 from the stealership vs $280 aftermarket installed. Glad I didn't have a windshield with rain sensors or it probably would have cost more. Pending factory options some windshields can only be replaced by another factory one.
Old 04-07-17, 09:53 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Fsportme
Got a quote of nearly $700 from the stealership vs $280 aftermarket installed.
that's nothing, when hatchback rear window needed replacement in my 1999 BMW 528iT - the dealer quoted me $1400, my local mechanic did it for exactly half that price.
Old 04-07-17, 10:06 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Olasek
that's nothing, when hatchback rear window needed replacement in my 1999 BMW 528iT - the dealer quoted me $1400, my local mechanic did it for exactly half that price.
Oh and that $700 quote was a dealer employee price full boat would have been $900+
Old 04-07-17, 11:37 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Fsportme
Just replaced the factory windshield with an aftermarket one after the oem started to crack horizontally after some small debris hit it on the drivers side corner. Got a quote of nearly $700 from the stealership vs $280 aftermarket installed. Glad I didn't have a windshield with rain sensors or it probably would have cost more. Pending factory options some windshields can only be replaced by another factory one.
Mind sharing what aftermarket brand you got? How was fitment, wind noise, and seals?

Quick Reply: Crappy Windshield glass?