IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Crappy Windshield glass?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-17, 02:10 PM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the "Daimond Coating" sold by the dealer on my 2016 when I bought it. So far I have no chips, it is supposed to increase the windshield harness by 60%. However I have 2 huge cracks, one from top and one from bottom, that have been there since the car had like 2000km on it. Fortunately I also bought that 5 windshield replacements in 5 years from Lexus too. I live in rock and gravel central, so one windshield a year is a guarantee on most cars. As soon as sweeping is done here I'm getting this one replaced already.
Old 04-09-17, 05:59 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by Viktimize
I got the "Daimond Coating" sold by the dealer on my 2016 when I bought it. So far I have no chips, it is supposed to increase the windshield harness by 60%. However I have 2 huge cracks, one from top and one from bottom, that have been there since the car had like 2000km on it. Fortunately I also bought that 5 windshield replacements in 5 years from Lexus too. I live in rock and gravel central, so one windshield a year is a guarantee on most cars. As soon as sweeping is done here I'm getting this one replaced already.
Doesn't this just prove that the Diamond Coating is a scam product? You likely have a chip somewhere along that crack "path". Stress cracks are extremely rare. That said, how much was this coating? I know Lexus South Pointe in Edmonton offers it. I might consider getting it next time if it makes up the cost of at least one windshield replacement.
Old 04-09-17, 07:07 PM
Viktimize
Driver

Originally Posted by computerwi
Doesn't this just prove that the Diamond Coating is a scam product? You likely have a chip somewhere along that crack "path". Stress cracks are extremely rare. That said, how much was this coating? I know Lexus South Pointe in Edmonton offers it. I might consider getting it next time if it makes up the cost of at least one windshield replacement.

i dont think it proves proves anything at this point. Like I said I have no chips as of yet. Although the car is still pretty new, so who knows what will come?

No chips near the cracks. The cracks come straight out from the windshield frame just like every other car in Alberta does when it gets heat shocked. I just thought it happened way easier in this car than any other I've had.
Old 04-09-17, 07:27 PM
computerwi
Advanced

i dont think it proves proves anything at this point. Like I said I have no chips as of yet. Although the car is still pretty new, so who knows what will come?

No chips near the cracks. The cracks come straight out from the windshield frame just like every other car in Alberta does when it gets heat shocked. I just thought it happened way easier in this car than any other I've had.
Heat shocked? I've never heard of this happening... Is there something I don't know? Any crack I've ever had always originated from a chip. One-time, it was nearly impossible to see but a speciality glass shop I went to showed me the chip on a digital microscope image.
Old 04-09-17, 07:37 PM
Viktimize
Driver

Heat shocked? I've never heard of this happening... Is there something I don't know? Any crack I've ever had always originated from a chip. One-time, it was nearly impossible to see but a speciality glass shop I went to showed me the chip on a digital microscope image.
you must live somewhere warm. Luck you. Heat shock is when it's -30 out and you put a little warm air on the windshield to clear the humidity. And then it cracks when the glass expands at a different rate than the metal frame it sits in.
Old 04-09-17, 08:57 PM
jennypenny
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Windshields today are thinner than 20 years ago. However, they are better in terms of sound blocking, UV reduction and weighs lesser.

All windshields are not durable but we can improve our driving style
Old 04-10-17, 12:10 AM
computerwi
Advanced

you must live somewhere warm. Luck you. Heat shock is when it's -30 out and you put a little warm air on the windshield to clear the humidity. And then it cracks when the glass expands at a different rate than the metal frame it sits in.
Nope. Lived in Calgary and Edmonton for 30+ years... Never had that happen. Maybe that one time I had that crack with the microscope scan the guy was just like pulling my leg.. although he did show me in real-time on his camera. If this is the case, wouldn't that count as a "stress crack" which should be covered under warranty?
Old 04-10-17, 11:37 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Nope. Lived in Calgary and Edmonton for 30+ years... Never had that happen. Maybe that one time I had that crack with the microscope scan the guy was just like pulling my leg.. although he did show me in real-time on his camera. If this is the case, wouldn't that count as a "stress crack" which should be covered under warranty?

thats weird you've lived lived here for 30 years and never even heard of something so common. I've never heard of any sort of warranty on glass? But I'll ask them when I'm in for my 8000km service.

In any sense, these Lexus windshields are junk. The wife's IS250 is cracked every which way as well. Just waiting for road sweeping to happen before we get it replaced.
Old 04-10-17, 07:10 PM
lexi90
Lexus Champion

Received 24 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the same issue with mine! My local Xpel / Ceramic Pro shop sells and installs Bray Group Windshield Skin which is a two layer skin that lasts 5-12 months! I haven't done it on my car yet, but I'm thinking I should do it!
Old 04-10-17, 08:59 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

As I mentioned before, go with ClearPlex. Results speak for themself....