IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Akebono brake pads long-term opinions?

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-17, 07:22 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Akebono brake pads long-term opinions?

Hi all,

My brake pads need to be changed and I'm interested in the Akebono ACT1118 because I can't take all that brake dust anymore
Everyone says how the Akebono brakes make less dust, however I couldn't find any long term reviews/opinions. I'm especially worried about screeching and other noises. I'd rather have brake dust than screeching!
Car is 2014 IS350 RWD.

I also need the pads for the rear brakes, can anyone point me in the right direction? I couldn't find the information.

Thanks.

P.S.: I need to change my front rotors, but I thought I'd take the ones from Lexus.
Old 03-30-17, 05:56 AM
j0rg305
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aeromotive
Hi all,

My brake pads need to be changed and I'm interested in the Akebono ACT1118 because I can't take all that brake dust anymore
Everyone says how the Akebono brakes make less dust, however I couldn't find any long term reviews/opinions. I'm especially worried about screeching and other noises. I'd rather have brake dust than screeching!
Car is 2014 IS350 RWD.

I also need the pads for the rear brakes, can anyone point me in the right direction? I couldn't find the information.

Thanks.

P.S.: I need to change my front rotors, but I thought I'd take the ones from Lexus.
Check out this thread, the IS200t has the same pads/rotors as the IS350. I just installed the ACT1118 pads on my IS200t a couple of days ago, so far they're awesome...hope this help.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...or-is200t.html
Old 03-31-17, 08:04 AM
Diesel26
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've had my Akebono's for at least a good 6 months. No noises. No dust. Could not be happier.

The part number for the rear is ACT1391... at least for an IS250.
Old 03-31-17, 11:26 AM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

I've had it on for a few weeks now. No screeching noises whatsoever. 95% less brake dust, seriously.
For long term effects, I don't see why brake pads would start screeching for no reason.
With the OEMs, it was squealing every morning as I back out the drive way. Not a single squeak once the Akebonos are on.
Old 03-31-17, 12:54 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Originally Posted by 600rr
I've had it on for a few weeks now. No screeching noises whatsoever. 95% less brake dust, seriously.
For long term effects, I don't see why brake pads would start screeching for no reason.
With the OEMs, it was squealing every morning as I back out the drive way. Not a single squeak once the Akebonos are on.
How is the initial bite? I had Project Mu on my G35 and when it was cold, the bite wouldn't be as good but after warming up the brakes a little, the bite would be just like OEM. Is it the same in this case?
Old 03-31-17, 01:02 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,620 Posts

The squeek is due to the aggressive compound for the 350/200t/Fsport pads. You WANT the squeek. The Squeek is GOOD. That means the pad is breaking down which means its effective and has high coefficient of friction.

That bubbly-bo-bo pad is low dust because it doesn't break down and as such, doesn't perform as well as stock.

That's putting it in simple terms.

There's no free rides. Either you get great braking/bite/dust/more noise or you get poorer performance/poorer bite but have cleaner wheels and less/no noise.

Nothing is free.
Old 03-31-17, 01:08 PM
Aeromotive
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if those with Akebono's felt any difference in braking performance vs stock?
I admit I'm not willing to sacrifice performance for cleaner wheels.
Old 03-31-17, 01:36 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

OEM F-sport pad compound is semi-metalic. It is high friction so that means more braking power, more dust, more noise, and faster rotor wear.
The Akebonos are Ceramic. Ceramic was developed as a replacement for metallic because of all the issues mentioned above, at the cost of SLIGHTLY less braking power. Most trucks and heavy cars uses metallic pads.
There are Organic pads, but i don't think anyone uses them anymore.
But honestly, i can't tell the difference between braking power with the OEM vs Akebono. Same initial bite and gets better as it warms.
Others can chime in with their experience with braking, but for me, I would have done this the first day I got the car.
Old 03-31-17, 03:29 PM
3ISRC
Intermediate

Received 72 Likes on 52 Posts

Maybe the initial bite is not as great as stocks but it's barely noticeable. They stop just fine for me and close enough to stock. Now not having to clean black satin wheels every week is something I don't miss!
Old 03-31-17, 03:52 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,156 Likes on 1,620 Posts

The interval at which the brake dust starts to become unacceptable to me tends to coincide with when I wash my car anyway--about once a week. So for me it's moot.

I keep a layer of extremely durable/famous/popular Collinite IW845 wax on the wheels and the dust for the most part washes right off. Slick stuff.

http://amzn.to/2nFmdVJ
Old 03-31-17, 08:33 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
The interval at which the brake dust starts to become unacceptable to me tends to coincide with when I wash my car anyway--about once a week. So for me it's moot.

I keep a layer of extremely durable/famous/popular Collinite IW845 wax on the wheels and the dust for the most part washes right off. Slick stuff.

http://amzn.to/2nFmdVJ
yup...i use rejex. dust still collects but it's less than not using it and as you said it does wash off easier.

http://www.rejex.com/rejex.html
Old 07-09-22, 09:51 AM
Lukatoll
9th Gear

Can someone who has installed akebono pads tell me if they used their OEM shims or only used what is provided by akebono? I have heard people using both.

my main concern is the loud screech I get with OEM brakes when they’re cold. So I want to make sure I install in the most optimal way. I plan on buying some anti squeal grease to apply to the back of the pad as well. Any suggestions is appreciated.

I ordered the akebono act1118 with some power stop coated rotors yesterday.

Old 07-09-22, 10:27 AM
LeX2K
Lexus Champion

Received 2,828 Likes on 2,391 Posts

I've been using molybdenum disulfide grease originally bought it to apply where the clutch release bearing contacts the transmission (as per the service manual). Use it between the shims and pads and where the caliper contacts the pads. Do not use on the rest of the brake hardware.

Shims that come with with Akebono pads are great.
The following users liked this post:
Lukatoll (07-09-22)
Old 07-09-22, 05:44 PM
Lukatoll
9th Gear

Originally Posted by LeX2K
I've been using molybdenum disulfide grease originally bought it to apply where the clutch release bearing contacts the transmission (as per the service manual). Use it between the shims and pads and where the caliper contacts the pads. Do not use on the rest of the brake hardware.

Shims that come with with Akebono pads are great.
cool thanks for the advice. I will look into that grease. If anyone else has any advice would be much appreciated
Old 07-09-22, 06:41 PM
kj07xk
Instructor

Received 294 Likes on 225 Posts

I too, only used what came with the Akebono pads.
That was a few years ago on my 2014 IS 350 AWD, and still no screeching. Just make sure to use the grease liberally.

Quick Reply: Akebono brake pads long-term opinions?