IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Tire wear @ 20k miles

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-17 | 09:34 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge
The stock Turanza tires are crap & have no grip on turns in wet conditions.Mine lasted about 20k miles also.

I replaced them with the Michelin Pilot SuperSports & the grip on those are 20x better.
Me too. 20k and those Turanzas were bald. I put on Super Sports and OMG. Car handles even better now
Old 04-11-17 | 06:01 PM
isosunrise
Pole Position

Originally Posted by arentz07
Do you also have AWD? I've heard the tires that they put on AWD models are, in general, not great for tread life no matter what car they're on.
Yes awd here. Luckily I had one tried and rim replaced recently. The other side is shot don't feel like spending 250 on a junk tire.
Old 04-15-17 | 03:01 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

So I checked mine today (17k miles on stock Turanzas) and I have the same issue. it looks like a aggressive camber wear. But the wear is uneven, some areas have more wear than other. And the rear tires are in perfect condition even though they have more camber. I'll call Lexus and see what they say.

I had the same issue on my old mazda3, the rear wheels had extreme camber to reduce oversteer.

Last edited by jkonquer; 04-15-17 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-15-17 | 08:16 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Got a call back from the dealer and it seems like a "normal" issue for these vehicles and there are no solution.
Old 04-17-17 | 07:37 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

look into Lower Control Arm bushing, like RR-Racing USRS or FIGS LCA bushings kit. It seems like a solution to the inner tire wear issue. many say it is due to dynamic toe and camber.

Last edited by jkonquer; 04-23-17 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-18-17 | 02:21 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

You guys have little to no performance car background, probably. Lexus wants to compete with BMW so in turn, you get tire wear like a BMW. Part of the reason why BMWs perform really well is due to their alignment. So you get performance tires on a performance oriented car you're going to have wear at 15-20k miles. This is not a design flaw, it's a BADGE OF HONOR. You WANT your tires to wear quickly on this type of car. That's GOOD. That's what you absolutely WANT. A positive. A PLUS. It's normal and absolutely to be expected on a car like this that emphasizes handling.

You cannot have your cake and eat it to. Either you pick Prius like handling and fuel economy with 80+k use out of hard tires or you get BMW-like handling and stability with soft rubber tires that wear at 20k.

When you start running into hyper-performance cars and hyper tires, you get into the sub 10-k range. And even thats a generous estimate.

In short, all you who wear at 20k miles, I'm surprised you're getting that much.

If you want a budget replacement, try Hankook V12s. If you want the best in the business, Michelin PSS.
The following users liked this post:
IreneIS350 (04-26-17)
Old 04-18-17 | 02:50 PM
Mrg02d
Pole Position

Originally Posted by E46CT
You guys have little to no performance car background, probably. Lexus wants to compete with BMW so in turn, you get tire wear like a BMW. Part of the reason why BMWs perform really well is due to their alignment. So you get performance tires on a performance oriented car you're going to have wear at 15-20k miles. This is not a design flaw, it's a BADGE OF HONOR. You WANT your tires to wear quickly on this type of car. That's GOOD. That's what you absolutely WANT. A positive. A PLUS. It's normal and absolutely to be expected on a car like this that emphasizes handling.

You cannot have your cake and eat it to. Either you pick Prius like handling and fuel economy with 80+k use out of hard tires or you get BMW-like handling and stability with soft rubber tires that wear at 20k.

When you start running into hyper-performance cars and hyper tires, you get into the sub 10-k range. And even thats a generous estimate.

In short, all you who wear at 20k miles, I'm surprised you're getting that much.

If you want a budget replacement, try Hankook V12s. If you want the best in the business, Michelin PSS.
I got 31k miles on my rear Michelin AS3 tires and I assure you I drive with spirit! This isn't a Porsche, which I have, so I'd call this type of wear unusual for this car. My Porsche eats tires but has oh so much more ommph to it.
Old 04-19-17 | 08:55 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Mrg02d
I got 31k miles on my rear Michelin AS3 tires and I assure you I drive with spirit! This isn't a Porsche, which I have, so I'd call this type of wear unusual for this car. My Porsche eats tires but has oh so much more ommph to it.
The AS3 are all seasons so the 30k is expected. PSS tend to wear out at 20k. My G35 coupe used to eat tires around 15k so my IS is actually an improvement
Old 04-19-17 | 09:04 AM
r2digital
Rookie

oem tires are horrendous, i replaced mine at 24000 with continental dsw06. the car has a much better ride now. here's a screenshot of where the oem tires compare to others
Old 04-20-17 | 08:28 AM
arentz07

I figure Toyota and Lexus have some kind of agreement with Bridgestone. My previous Camry had the same tires, and it was funny how after the first 5000 or so miles, the road noise increased a lot. Also, I rode in a friend's Camry that had the Michelin Primacy tires instead, and it was noticeably quieter, even though we both had the SE ("sporty") trim. In addition, the traction and handling in rain were terrible. The steering felt exceedingly vague when turning on a wet road, more so than it already was.

I'm going to drive on my OEM ones on the IS 300 and replace them at the first opportunity. So far they've been fine, but I think the car would be quieter and more sorted with better tires.
Old 04-20-17 | 10:04 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

I don't even know where to start.

1) All generation IS models have been known for inner tire wear in the fronts. The issue was due to soft LCA bushing designed to have softer ride quality and more stability during braking which caused dynamic toe and camber during braking and accelerating. The remedy was to get harder LCA bushings as discovered in 2IS and ISF. And 3IS share the same symptoms and remedy. Definitely was not design for performance.

2) 3IS has more negative camber in the rears than the fronts. If you know anything about suspension tuning, that's is to create understeering. Again, definitely not deigned for performance. But rather safety.

3) I have been racing for about 14 years now. Vehicles from 76 Celica, 97 Supra, Miatas, Muscle cars and STI's and so on. Each of these cars had aggressive camber settings and non had an "excessive" wear as much as 3IS. and they all were either on extreme or r compound while driven on streets. It is only when toe is introduced in the factor.

I understand what you are saying. If the alignment is set properly for performance than it should have excessive wears. But in THIS vehicle, they simply are not. 90 % of the factory alignment setting are made for safety and comfort.
Old 04-20-17 | 10:07 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Originally Posted by EZZ
The AS3 are all seasons so the 30k is expected. PSS tend to wear out at 20k. My G35 coupe used to eat tires around 15k so my IS is actually an improvement
G35 had the same problems as the 3IS. and replacing bushing did the trick.
Old 04-24-17 | 02:03 PM
DizzyEdge
Driver School Candidate

I don't mind 15-20k miles on awesome high performance tires...but the OEM tires are anything but.
I can't believe Lexus would put such crappy tires on IS-FSports if they're trying to compete with BMW.

I'm halfway thru my Michelin PSS's & I estimate it'll last about 25k based on current usage.
Old 04-24-17 | 02:21 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DizzyEdge
I don't mind 15-20k miles on awesome high performance tires...but the OEM tires are anything but.
I can't believe Lexus would put such crappy tires on IS-FSports if they're trying to compete with BMW.

I'm halfway thru my Michelin PSS's & I estimate it'll last about 25k based on current usage.
True that OEM IS tires are crap. But, I have 17k on mine, and they have plenty of life left. I can probably est. getting a min of 30k miles on them. The tread life really depends on how you drive, and where you drive.

I do have to say I do NOT have confident in throwing the car in corners with these tires, they are far from sticky. I once almost slide into a rail because it was raining.. but then again.. I was going like 80mph lol
Old 04-24-17 | 04:27 PM
Solara350
Instructor

i don't what to say but my 2015 IS350 Fsport OEM tires from Factory 69,000k on the clock and tires tread still have a lot, i replaced all 4 because 1 rear has a crack and 1 in the front has been patched, they were still good just little noise and has a lot of tread left like 65-70%. i can't comment on this because different road different driving style.

Quick Reply: Tire wear @ 20k miles