IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Front license plate - 2017 IS200t (Non F-Sport)

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 12:04 AM
SantiP
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front license plate - 2017 IS200t (Non F-Sport)

Hi guys,

I need to install my license plate on my new IS and was thinking what's the best way to do it causing as less damage as possible.

I don't really want to install it anywhere off-center. Is there any way to put it in the center without drilling holes in the grille?

P.S - Its a non F-Sport model.

Thanks in advance guys!
Old 04-21-17, 01:51 AM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Assuming you bought the car from the dealership, they should have provided you with a mounting bracket of some sort. You can try zip tieing them to through where the screw holes would go into your grille. I personally wanted something a little more sturdy than zip ties, and didn't want to hide the front of the grill so i opted for a relocation kit. Here's a picture of how mine looks like.

just a sidenote, I recently took my car to the dealership to get my rim's fixed (i bought the tire and wheel warranty) and they took my car through a wash and bent my license plate. The mount itself and the car body didn't get damaged at all.

This is the relocation kit I'm using
http://www.grimmspeed.com/license-pl...s-250-350-isf/

2014 IS350 F Sport Obsidian Black

Last edited by itsx; 04-21-17 at 01:55 AM.
Old 04-21-17, 07:22 AM
specONE
Racer

Received 503 Likes on 249 Posts

Get creative and use magnets.
Old 04-21-17, 10:32 AM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by itsx
Assuming you bought the car from the dealership, they should have provided you with a mounting bracket of some sort. You can try zip tieing them to through where the screw holes would go into your grille. I personally wanted something a little more sturdy than zip ties, and didn't want to hide the front of the grill so i opted for a relocation kit. Here's a picture of how mine looks like.

just a sidenote, I recently took my car to the dealership to get my rim's fixed (i bought the tire and wheel warranty) and they took my car through a wash and bent my license plate. The mount itself and the car body didn't get damaged at all.

This is the relocation kit I'm using
http://www.grimmspeed.com/license-pl...s-250-350-isf/

2014 IS350 F Sport Obsidian Black
Hey, thanks for the tip.

I actually want to keep the plate in the center. So, if drilling is the only option, then I'll just go ahead with it since that plate's always going to be there.

However, I got my car out-of-state from Texas, and I don't think the dealer gave me a front bracket. Didn't occur to me to ask her, either.
Old 04-21-17, 10:41 AM
MasonGrey
Pole Position

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by SantiP
Hey, thanks for the tip.

I actually want to keep the plate in the center. So, if drilling is the only option, then I'll just go ahead with it since that plate's always going to be there.

However, I got my car out-of-state from Texas, and I don't think the dealer gave me a front bracket. Didn't occur to me to ask her, either.
Where are you in California? If you're in OC around Irvine, I'd be more than happy to give you mine. It's meant for the 2014-2016 front, but hopefully it will fit on the 2017.
Old 04-21-17, 10:58 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

why install it at all,

I haven't had a front plate on any of my cars in over 20 years, been cited for it twice, I simply zip tie the plate to the grille, take it to the CHP to be signed off and pay the $25 "fix it" fine then remove it when I get home.

9:10 times the only time yo will get a ticket for it is as a tack on for something else like speeding.

the only other time I have seen it as an issue is for someone that parks on a public street regularly in an area with restricted parking enforcement.
Old 04-21-17, 10:59 AM
itsx
Intermediate

Just to piggyback off of MasonGrey, if you're in the Bay Area i'd be happy to give you the one I got from my dealer
Old 04-21-17, 11:12 AM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by MasonGrey
Where are you in California? If you're in OC around Irvine, I'd be more than happy to give you mine. It's meant for the 2014-2016 front, but hopefully it will fit on the 2017.
Originally Posted by itsx
Just to piggyback off of MasonGrey, if you're in the Bay Area i'd be happy to give you the one I got from my dealer
MasonGrey - Thanks a lot for your offer! But I stay in the Bay Area, so won't be possible!

itsx - Thanks to you too. I'll let you know once I decide what I'm going to do. A bit confused right now, myself! :P With yours, I'll still have to drill it into the grille, right?
Old 04-21-17, 11:23 AM
itsx
Intermediate

MasonGrey - Thanks a lot for your offer! But I stay in the Bay Area, so won't be possible!

itsx - Thanks to you too. I'll let you know once I decide what I'm going to do. A bit confused right now, myself! :P With yours, I'll still have to drill it into the grille, right?
No drilling involved

The install was actually really easy. all you need is a torque wrench/ratchet with the right sized bolt. i'll have to find the instructions for the right size socket. maybe a level. definitely an allen key set.

you pop off the tow hook cover, it's literally a little panel/cover right behind where my license plate sits. i used a flathead covered in electrical tape to pry it out.
then you insert the extension bar, torque it to the specifications, and mount the frame backplate as you see fit, then you can screw in your plate. it's like a 20 minute install if you're super OCD.

here's a video i just found on google

Old 04-21-17, 11:53 AM
specONE
Racer

I'll repeat myself.
Get creative, use magnets

Last edited by specONE; 08-31-17 at 04:41 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 11:57 AM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by specONE
Wow, I thought you were only kidding! Sorry!

These look great!

I have a non F-Sport, though - would that be a problem?
Old 04-21-17, 01:16 PM
specONE
Racer

Wow, I thought you were only kidding! Sorry!

These look great!

I have a non F-Sport, though - would that be a problem?
you'll have to be creative, i'm sure it can be done
read up more on how i accomplished it on my build thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post8923094
I had to removed the bumper to figure out where to place magnets to get it to work behind the Grill area.

takes me less than 2 seconds to remove and install plate and there is no visable sign that a plate was ever mounted.

Last edited by specONE; 09-22-17 at 03:36 PM.
Old 04-21-17, 04:33 PM
SantiP
Rookie

Originally Posted by specONE
you'll have to be creative, i'm sure it can be done
read up more on how i accomplished it on my build thread, https://www.clublexus.com/forums/bui...ml#post8923094
I had to removed the bumper to figure out where to place magnets to get it to work behind the Grill area.

takes me less than 2 seconds to remove and install plate and there is no visable sign that a plate was ever mounted.
Woah that's superb! You really thought it through! Nice job!

I have absolutely no confidence in myself to pull that off without doing any serious damage. I'm certainly going to mess things up.

Also, won't the warranty be void if I do this?
Old 04-21-17, 05:01 PM
specONE
Racer

Woah that's superb! You really thought it through! Nice job!

I have absolutely no confidence in myself to pull that off without doing any serious damage. I'm certainly going to mess things up.

Also, won't the warranty be void if I do this?
Warranty could be voided on the bumper but when does that go bad?
Warranty is only voided if they can prove whatever you did to the vehicle was the cause to the part that needs to be warrantied,
Say you did this and your supension shocks go bad, they can't void your warranty just because you touched something on your bumper, look up Magnuson–Moss Warranty Act
Old 04-21-17, 09:37 PM
nvbirdman
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Butterfly type hollow wall fasteners through the grill. Snug, not tight.

Quick Reply: Front license plate - 2017 IS200t (Non F-Sport)