IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

help with Grill Emblem

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-17, 02:24 PM
Denny19
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with Grill Emblem

I was wondering if somebody could help me with removing and replacing a grill emblem on a 2015 IS 250 F-sport. Right now I have the OEM stock "L", however there is a small crack in the plastic and it looks bad. I would like to put the Black Pearl "L" emblem, however I do not know how to go about doing it.

I found a Black Pearl on ebay for about $130 or so. I was at the dealer and I just priced a replacement to see what they would charge...and they told me it would be somewhere around $500 or so because they have to "remove the whole front grill". I find that very hard to believe.

I'm not the most hand of guys, but I can figure stuff out from a video or pictures. Can anybody help me out on how to remover the factory grill emblem and install a Black Pearl or another OEM grill emblem? It is much appreciated!

When you pop the hood, it looks like if I remove that protective plastic covering that I can get to the back of the emblem, but I don't know if that's true or how the emblem is kept in place. I'm hoping somebody can help me out. Thanks again

Last edited by Denny19; 04-21-17 at 02:25 PM. Reason: typo
Old 04-21-17, 03:54 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Two screws on top, 1 clip on bottom. You're almost guaranteed to break the screws on top, but if you're tossing the emblem then who cares. (It has a shark tooth design to keep it in place) Clip on the bottom is pretty easy and self explanatory. Good luck!
Old 04-21-17, 05:22 PM
evltwn
Advanced

Received 141 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny19
I was wondering if somebody could help me with removing and replacing a grill emblem on a 2015 IS 250 F-sport. Right now I have the OEM stock "L", however there is a small crack in the plastic and it looks bad. I would like to put the Black Pearl "L" emblem, however I do not know how to go about doing it.

I found a Black Pearl on ebay for about $130 or so. I was at the dealer and I just priced a replacement to see what they would charge...and they told me it would be somewhere around $500 or so because they have to "remove the whole front grill". I find that very hard to believe.

I'm not the most hand of guys, but I can figure stuff out from a video or pictures. Can anybody help me out on how to remover the factory grill emblem and install a Black Pearl or another OEM grill emblem? It is much appreciated!

When you pop the hood, it looks like if I remove that protective plastic covering that I can get to the back of the emblem, but I don't know if that's true or how the emblem is kept in place. I'm hoping somebody can help me out. Thanks again
You pop the plastic cover that is in the front of the engine bay. Just push down on the tabs and you can lift it off. You can then reach behind the grill without having to take it off. If you can cut the tin washers off I'd try that. Otherwise you're almost certain to break the top posts off.
Old 04-21-17, 08:49 PM
Denny19
Driver School Candidate

if I'm tossing the stock grill emblem...does it matter if i break the top posts off....or do i need them to install the black pearl?
Old 04-21-17, 09:08 PM
evltwn
Advanced

if I'm tossing the stock grill emblem...does it matter if i break the top posts off....or do i need them to install the black pearl?
No the emblem should come with everything you need to install it. If you do get the original emblem off with breaking the posts off, I'd be interested in taking it off your hands. Would you take a pic of the crack?
Old 04-22-17, 10:27 AM
Denny19
Driver School Candidate

Sure i will post pic later today. Is this a difficult
job to do? Id hate to start it and not be able to finish it.
Old 04-22-17, 10:42 AM
CriMe
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

When purchasing the new emblem, be careful if your car has the pre-collision system. I'm not 100% sure where the sensors are located, but out of curiosity I was looking at emblems a couple months ago and it specified "for vehicles without pre-collision system only", so I assume that the sensor location is somehow related to the emblem. Side note - this past winter my emblem was iced over and I did get a warning on the cluster that said "PCS temporarily not available". I broke away the ice and the message went away. Hopefully someone can chime in with better information on the workings of this system.
Old 04-22-17, 01:32 PM
evltwn
Advanced

No it's not difficult. The hardest part with be getting the emblem off. If you don't care about the posts, just break them.
Old 04-22-17, 02:06 PM
RoyaalT
Driver School Candidate

Just did mine, follow instructions to remove the plastic cover over the center area. find a small philips screwdriver and remove the two screws at the top of the emblem on both sides. Use a flat head screwdriver to release the lower tab without breaking anything.

Push in the new emblem and reinsert the screws. The screws are a different part number and I would not expect them to come with a new emblem. The whole thing should take you 10 minutes if you are taking your time.
Old 04-22-17, 05:45 PM
Denny19
Driver School Candidate

Ok sounds good, i will give it a shot. How do i know i my car is pre collision? Will thst effect installation?
Old 04-23-17, 07:20 PM
RoyaalT
Driver School Candidate

Ok sounds good, i will give it a shot. How do i know i my car is pre collision? Will thst effect installation?
A much more expensive emblem. Has your car ever told you to brake? You would have settings on the steering wheel to change the sensitivity of it.