IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

What slotted brake rotors do you suggest?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-17, 08:24 AM
stevelifts
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default What slotted brake rotors do you suggest?

does anyone have any suggestions for slotted brake rotors? Need to replace my front two rotors and my mechanic reccomended power stop brake rotors. Just want to hear yall two cents.
Old 04-24-17, 07:50 PM
forum429
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you are looking for track use you don't take any benefits of having slotted rotors other than the look of it.
It will dramatically shorten the life of your brake pads.
A blank rotors is fine for daily usage.
You won't gain any braking performance by using slotted rotors.
You can invest into a set of high performance brake pads.
Old 04-24-17, 09:51 PM
stevelifts
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thank you sir. My IS is a daily driver so no plans on bringing it to the track ever. What blank rotors are good? I heard good reviews on centric premium rotors.
Old 04-26-17, 11:49 AM
jasanders
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by stevelifts
does anyone have any suggestions for slotted brake rotors? Need to replace my front two rotors and my mechanic reccomended power stop brake rotors. Just want to hear yall two cents.
I drive a GX470 and like to take it offroad , mainly in mud a fair amount. Also, here in Louisiana we get a LOT of rain. I have heard that the drilled rotors help out in wet conditions by helping to give the water an escape route as compared to smooth rotors.

But in my research I have seen numerous times that the slotted rotors will definitely shorten the life of your brake pads, but will decrease your stopping distance. Some of them have a very small sharp spot in the slots which makes a small cut into the pads to help stop the car. So, if you don't mind replacing your pads more frequently they do provide better stopping power.
Old 04-26-17, 12:49 PM
Jbreezie
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Slotted and cross-drilled for looks! I think it's worth it even though the lifespan might not be as long. I'm planning to get Stop Tech, EBC, or Cquence. http://www.cquence.net/

If i was going to get blanks, Brembo blanks!
Old 10-31-19, 03:22 AM
JayLexin
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I have owed my car for 7 years now, IS350 2012 F Sport. My front OEM rotors and pads are only lasting 15,000 kms or 9,300 miles. For the $750 AUD or $500 USD I pay for labour and parts, I am now looking for better bang for my buck. I will gladly pay more provided they last longer. Is this normal distance or OEM rotors and pads?

I am thinking of DBA T2 Slotted rotors and Akebono low dust pads, do you think this is a smart move. This set up will cost $100 AUD more?
Old 10-31-19, 06:04 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by JayLexin
I have owed my car for 7 years now, IS350 2012 F Sport. My front OEM rotors and pads are only lasting 15,000 kms or 9,300 miles. For the $750 AUD or $500 USD I pay for labour and parts, I am now looking for better bang for my buck. I will gladly pay more provided they last longer. Is this normal distance or OEM rotors and pads?

I am thinking of DBA T2 Slotted rotors and Akebono low dust pads, do you think this is a smart move. This set up will cost $100 AUD more?
If you are up to it, replacing pads are very easy. Replacing front rotors are also easier than replacing the rear. I would start with replacing the pads yourself so you'll get an exposure of the basics. Then proceed on doing the rotors. Not sure why do you have to replace the pads and rotors at the same time but this same scenario happened to my previous car (volvo xc90). My mechanic that time even asked me a weird question (what are you doing with your brakes) because almost every year I had to replace both pads and brakes.

Anyways, there are lots of videos out there regarding pads and rotors replacements for our cars. I know I know it's easier said than done but everyone one of us here went thru that "first time" so ask yourself, why can't you?

I heard a lot of good things about the StopTech and my next set (pads and rotors) will be that brand.
Old 10-31-19, 07:40 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,158 Likes on 1,621 Posts

I had power stop drilled and they howled and vibrated. Put 2,000 miles on them and tossed them in the garbage. I went back to stock style blanks and was oh so pleased. precision powerful braking again.

I found Meyle rotors on eBay (blank) for $100 for our cars. shipped. for a pair. they could've went up by then. the only person here who will give you this specific tip on the meyles! i beat on them heavily and they perform just like stock. (check my post history on them)
Old 10-31-19, 08:45 AM
s3v3n
Instructor

Received 257 Likes on 201 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
I had power stop drilled and they howled and vibrated. Put 2,000 miles on them and tossed them in the garbage. I went back to stock style blanks and was oh so pleased. precision powerful braking again.

I found Meyle rotors on eBay (blank) for $100 for our cars. shipped. for a pair. they could've went up by then. the only person here who will give you this specific tip on the meyles! i beat on them heavily and they perform just like stock. (check my post history on them)
I'm sorry to hear your experience with PowerStop. Did you buy the whole set (pads and rotors)?
Old 10-31-19, 11:19 AM
JayLexin
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by JayLexin

Can someone please answer me, is the mileage on my OEM rotors and pads normal?
The following users liked this post:
June3507 (11-27-22)