IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Creaking/ popping noise when turning in neighborhoods

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-20 | 12:56 PM
arentz07

Could that be strut mounts? Could be the spring not seated properly against the strut. I doubt that this noise has anything to do with brakes. When you "grease up" the brakes, are you greasing up anything else around the suspension? If so, your problem could be in those components.
Old 06-12-20 | 01:02 PM
athanato
Intermediate

My 2IS 250 had a sound issue only when turning into a parking spot after the 7th year but yea could have just been breaks, an idiot rear ended and totaled it so never looked into it further.
I should note the wheel the sound was coming from was also cracked from a pothole 2yrs prior (RIM damage was addressed of course), now was there damage beyond the RIM that was hard to detect who knows now.
Old 06-14-20 | 05:59 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MJan
Did someone ever find a cause of this issue?

I have the same popping/creaking noise from the front suspension while turning AND braking, like in this video posted above https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY2a4YDtWwI on my 2014 IS 250 (non f sport, all stock).
The only thing that reduces the extent of it/makes it go away temporary is greasing up the brakes. That usually lasts around a week or two.

So far I've tried:
New OEM front brake pads and rotors (mine were close to the end of their life, however new ones did not fix the issue)
New OEM front brake pad retaining clips (or whatever they are called) and new shim kit (did not fix the issue)
New OEM front brake calipers (did not fix the issue)

At this point I'm really frustrated because the whole front brake system is pretty much brand new and yet the issue is still present (and it keeps worsening until it becomes so loud and annoying that I end up greasing up the brakes which solves it for a week or two).
I've bought the car at 30k miles and it did not make any of the noises in the beginning (Car has 60k now).

The issue only starts to happen after a car is driven for a certain period of time (20+ minutes) and the brakes/suspension heats up and reaches the operating temperature.
The noise you're getting there isn't the typical brake noise that the thread is referring to...at least that's my opinion.
I'm not sure if your IS is RWD or AWD, so I'm going to assume it's RWD for now.
Based on the noise you captured in the video I would be more inclined to think that the noise is coming from a suspension component that rotates when you turn. The first place I would start looking is the lower and upper balljoints and upper strut mounts. After that would be inner and outer tie rod ends.
If you can identify which side of the car is making the noise, that will cut the possibilities in half right away.
It kinda sounds like those old Honda's that the lower joint is going on.

Can you duplicate the noise with the vehicle stationary by just turning the wheel left or right?
Old 06-14-20 | 02:24 PM
ZZZzz
Driver School Candidate

Sway bar links probably needs replacement, less than 100 bucks per side to replace them.
Old 06-14-20 | 02:47 PM
snabbledab
Rookie

Did someone ever find a cause of this issue?

I have the same popping/creaking noise from the front suspension while turning AND braking, like in this video posted above https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY2a4YDtWwI on my 2014 IS 250 (non f sport, all stock).
The only thing that reduces the extent of it/makes it go away temporary is greasing up the brakes. That usually lasts around a week or two.

So far I've tried:
New OEM front brake pads and rotors (mine were close to the end of their life, however new ones did not fix the issue)
New OEM front brake pad retaining clips (or whatever they are called) and new shim kit (did not fix the issue)
New OEM front brake calipers (did not fix the issue)

At this point I'm really frustrated because the whole front brake system is pretty much brand new and yet the issue is still present (and it keeps worsening until it becomes so loud and annoying that I end up greasing up the brakes which solves it for a week or two).
I've bought the car at 30k miles and it did not make any of the noises in the beginning (Car has 60k now).

The issue only starts to happen after a car is driven for a certain period of time (20+ minutes) and the brakes/suspension heats up and reaches the operating temperature.
Hey there, sorry for the late reply. Unfortunately I have not found a solution to this problem yet. I believe that this might just be one of the quirks of my car. I have replaced the brakes since then and there still hasn't been any change. One thing that you could try is to check and make sure that the hood bumpers have good contact to your hood. Hopefully you can find a solution
Old 06-14-20 | 04:11 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ZZZzz
Sway bar links probably needs replacement, less than 100 bucks per side to replace them.
Not to discount any possibilities, but the end links would make noise only over bumps or rough road, regardless if you're turning or not.
Easiest way to check them is to lift the entire front off the ground and shake each end link...if you feel any play then replace...they should not have any play at all.
Old 06-16-20 | 03:47 PM
MJan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by arentz07
Could that be strut mounts? Could be the spring not seated properly against the strut. I doubt that this noise has anything to do with brakes. When you "grease up" the brakes, are you greasing up anything else around the suspension? If so, your problem could be in those components.
I have tried spraying silicone lubricant to each suspension component individually that I could reach without removing wheels (strut mounts, sway bar links, etc) and then driving around to see if the noise is still present and sadly, none of it made the sounds any less.
Old 06-16-20 | 04:06 PM
MJan
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The noise you're getting there isn't the typical brake noise that the thread is referring to...at least that's my opinion.
I'm not sure if your IS is RWD or AWD, so I'm going to assume it's RWD for now.
Based on the noise you captured in the video I would be more inclined to think that the noise is coming from a suspension component that rotates when you turn. The first place I would start looking is the lower and upper balljoints and upper strut mounts. After that would be inner and outer tie rod ends.
If you can identify which side of the car is making the noise, that will cut the possibilities in half right away.
It kinda sounds like those old Honda's that the lower joint is going on.

Can you duplicate the noise with the vehicle stationary by just turning the wheel left or right?
It is RWD.
The video above was posted by other user @snabbledab, however I am 100% sure the noise I am getting is the same that he managed to capture on his video, along with the conditions under which it happens.
The issue has been worsening lately and I was able to capture the sound of the popping (while turning AND braking) that can be heard inside the cabin myself, https://vocaroo.com/7tKRqE2Fqa5

Recently the issue has gotten so bad that it actually started popping even when braking in a straight line (or turning steering wheel at least a tiny little bit while braking), I have then managed to capture how it sounds from the outside, which, surprisingly, is completely different from what can be heard inside the cabin.
Here is a video that I've captured of how it sounds from the outside, it seems to come from both left and right wheels, however noise from left one happens much more frequently: https://streamable.com/f7u6qe

It seems like the same sound (but more silent) can also be heard from the outside when turning the wheels and holding brake while standing still, but only if in D. turning the wheels and holding brake while standing still in N or R doesn't cause any sound.

Last edited by MJan; 06-16-20 at 04:12 PM.
Old 06-17-20 | 04:24 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

I have tried spraying silicone lubricant to each suspension component individually that I could reach without removing wheels (strut mounts, sway bar links, etc) and then driving around to see if the noise is still present and sadly, none of it made the sounds any less.
While silicone spray can be used in a wide variety of applications, in this case it wouldn't have made a difference even if you had sprayed it on the affected component.
All the items mentioned that would generate the noise would do so internally to the component (i.e. ball joint, strut mount, etc.), so since the silicone can't get inside the part, then it wouldn't have helped unfortunately.
Old 06-17-20 | 04:34 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

It is RWD.
The video above was posted by other user @snabbledab, however I am 100% sure the noise I am getting is the same that he managed to capture on his video, along with the conditions under which it happens.
The issue has been worsening lately and I was able to capture the sound of the popping (while turning AND braking) that can be heard inside the cabin myself, https://vocaroo.com/7tKRqE2Fqa5

Recently the issue has gotten so bad that it actually started popping even when braking in a straight line (or turning steering wheel at least a tiny little bit while braking), I have then managed to capture how it sounds from the outside, which, surprisingly, is completely different from what can be heard inside the cabin.
Here is a video that I've captured of how it sounds from the outside, it seems to come from both left and right wheels, however noise from left one happens much more frequently: https://streamable.com/f7u6qe

It seems like the same sound (but more silent) can also be heard from the outside when turning the wheels and holding brake while standing still, but only if in D. turning the wheels and holding brake while standing still in N or R doesn't cause any sound.
The noise sounds like it is right behind the wheel.

I would check the lower and upper ball joints as well as the tie rod end of the steering rack.
Also check the where the lower control arm bolts to the subframe and ball joint to confirm there is no movement in the bolts...and the nut behind the lower control arm bushing.
Also check the bolt at the bottom of the strut, and the nuts at the top of the strut to confirm they are tight.
Since all the brakes are new, that kinda eliminates them from being the issue.
Make sure the wheels are torqued down properly as well...I had one vehicle the rotor would shift in between the rim and hub because the wheel wasn't tight enough, and it made a similar sound to that.
Old 06-17-20 | 07:48 AM
HOMER350
Racer

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
The noise sounds like it is right behind the wheel.

I would check the lower and upper ball joints as well as the tie rod end of the steering rack.
Also check the where the lower control arm bolts to the subframe and ball joint to confirm there is no movement in the bolts...and the nut behind the lower control arm bushing.
Also check the bolt at the bottom of the strut, and the nuts at the top of the strut to confirm they are tight.
Since all the brakes are new, that kinda eliminates them from being the issue.
Make sure the wheels are torqued down properly as well...I had one vehicle the rotor would shift in between the rim and hub because the wheel wasn't tight enough, and it made a similar sound to that.
I 2nd all of this. I've only dealt with this on older cars but to further speculate or change brake parts without checking these things is a waste of time.
Old 02-20-24 | 11:47 AM
is3t
Rookie

It is RWD.

I have this exact issue, makes noise in p and d though

I Thought of ball joints first so
upper and lower ball joints replaced (includes tie rod end since it’s with the lower ball joint)
new sway bar end links
brakes are newish

pads seem well seated

some times in a straight line braking makes noises
also when turning at low speed or medium speed
attached a video sounds like it’s coming from Lowersuspension

oem suspension

when turning the car parked pads make no noise so I don’t think it’s the pads, it’s pretty loud in the car.
happens more on right hand turns than left

car can hit bumps with no noise

thanks

Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_9367.mov (19.24 MB, 9 views)
Old 02-20-24 | 12:03 PM
r2digital
Rookie

Originally Posted by is3t
I have this exact issue, makes noise in p and d though

I Thought of ball joints first so
upper and lower ball joints replaced (includes tie rod end since it’s with the lower ball joint)
new sway bar end links
brakes are newish

pads seem well seated

some times in a straight line braking makes noises
also when turning at low speed or medium speed
attached a video sounds like it’s coming from Lowersuspension

oem suspension

when turning the car parked pads make no noise so I don’t think it’s the pads, it’s pretty loud in the car.
happens more on right hand turns than left

car can hit bumps with no noise

thanks
its been a long time since i had the noise but if i remember correctly i accidentally loosened a bolt that was very close to the caliper bracket which attaches the hub to the steering knuckle / spindle

obviously this may not be the solution for everyone but it’s very easy to loosen that bolt and not realize it
Old 02-20-24 | 05:36 PM
is3t
Rookie

I checked these and they are tight. They are still OEM and never touched.
even though i got it on a lift still cant figure out the noise.

I guess i should replace the struts next since everything was replaced already. Pulling my hair out.