IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Trunk Open - Pop Up

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-17 | 06:48 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Default Trunk Open - Pop Up

There are a few threads with people talking about how the trunk functions and not everyone seems to like it. So I'm going to do some research to see if we can make it work better than stock.

As of now when you hit the trunk button on the remote all it does it pop the trunk up for you to open with your hand. What I'd really like is for the trunk to open up fully when pressing the remote button. In a previous car I owned making this happen was as simple as swapping out the springs on the trunk lid for stronger ones. It would make you use a little more force when closing the trunk but nothing to worry about.

I'm going to take a look this weekend and post some pictures. Has anyone looked into this?
Old 06-02-17 | 09:04 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

To me that's cheap car stuff unless its electronic/fully automatic. You certainly dont want it flying open on the freeway if you open by mistake.
Old 06-02-17 | 09:57 AM
ryanwongg
Driver School Candidate

would love to know what ya come up with ciggy.
Old 06-02-17 | 10:14 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by E46CT
To me that's cheap car stuff unless its electronic/fully automatic. You certainly dont want it flying open on the freeway if you open by mistake.
How often do you accidentally pop your trunk while driving? The key fob itself is disabled while driving.

I tend to walk up to my car with my hands full. It'd be great if the trunk could already be open. My buddy's 2012 Audi S4 opens fully and is not electronic or fully automatic. Just looking to mimic this functionality.
Old 06-02-17 | 10:48 AM
nykos5000
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
I used to think the same until I had cars that fully popped the trunk...must say it's very convenient when both hands are tied up.
Old 06-02-17 | 10:55 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Ciggy
How often do you accidentally pop your trunk while driving? The key fob itself is disabled while driving.

I tend to walk up to my car with my hands full. It'd be great if the trunk could already be open. My buddy's 2012 Audi S4 opens fully and is not electronic or fully automatic. Just looking to mimic this functionality.
Um yeah...I don't think I could even open the trunk while driving even if I wanted to.
Good luck with the weekend project Ciggy. I haven't looked in the trunk of the Lex to see how the springs mount, but Toyota has been known to put multiple spring location end points...in the event you add a heavy spoiler, the trunk spring rod end is moved from one slot to the next slot, to increase tension on the spring. If the Lex has this setup, it should be easy to do.
Of course the trunk springs are under hella tension, so safety first Ciggy...safety first.
Unless you are looking to Power Close the trunk, using electronics to open it is a waste of time, money, energy, and the essence of the universe...ok, maybe not that last one.
Old 06-05-17 | 05:57 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Um yeah...I don't think I could even open the trunk while driving even if I wanted to.
Good luck with the weekend project Ciggy. I haven't looked in the trunk of the Lex to see how the springs mount, but Toyota has been known to put multiple spring location end points...in the event you add a heavy spoiler, the trunk spring rod end is moved from one slot to the next slot, to increase tension on the spring. If the Lex has this setup, it should be easy to do.
Of course the trunk springs are under hella tension, so safety first Ciggy...safety first.
Unless you are looking to Power Close the trunk, using electronics to open it is a waste of time, money, energy, and the essence of the universe...ok, maybe not that last one.

I didn't get to take a look. I cleaned the car up and ended up going to a car show at the local Six Flags called cars and coasters. Saw a few other IS owners. A wide body black one with crazy JDM tails and a white one on bags with all red accents.

Either way going to look into this, this week and report back.
Old 06-05-17 | 01:40 PM
Brokenis
Driver

We can use a lift support just like the one from the front hood. Just need someone to design and customize fit into the trunk now...
Old 06-05-17 | 02:18 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

I’m sure the reason for the trunk not lifting is a safety concern to prevent it from popping up and blocking rear vision while driving. It may not happen that often but is certainly possible.
Old 06-05-17 | 07:24 PM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Brokenis
We can use a lift support just like the one from the front hood. Just need someone to design and customize fit into the trunk now...

​​​​​​That's true a buddy of mine did that to his civic si back in the day.
Old 06-07-17 | 11:32 AM
heffnerlex
Pit Crew

The trunk on the RC opens up fully and it's not power. Strange how the RC does but the IS doesn't...
Old 06-07-17 | 04:26 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Originally Posted by heffnerlex
The trunk on the RC opens up fully and it's not power. Strange how the RC does but the IS doesn't...
Swap the RC trunk's springs?
Old 06-08-17 | 04:49 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by heffnerlex
Good info! Will need to look at how both trunks perform but we may be able to use the spring from the RC.
The following users liked this post:
zhifan1 (06-08-17)
Old 06-09-17 | 11:22 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

I've never ever opened the trunk whilst driving in all my years of driving. Does this actually happen to people? In all cars, the trigger in usually on some obscure spot on the lower left hand driver side.
Old 06-10-17 | 04:31 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Ciggy
Good info! Will need to look at how both trunks perform but we may be able to use the spring from the RC.
Mystery to me why the IS doesn't pop up whereas the RCF with a far heavier lid (motorized retractable wing) does. It must be the springs are at higher tension...
Coincidentally, I shot this clip for another member in the RFC forum last year, who was wondering about this.

Quick Reply: Trunk Open - Pop Up