IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

First time owner, ease my mind

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-17, 06:59 PM
Clayphace
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First time owner, ease my mind

First time Lexus owner from Texas. Bought a 2016 is200 f sport, but it does have 48.5 k miles. The mileage does concern me, and I just hope to get some reassurance that I’m not in for a long, expensive ride. Appears it was a lease. All service was done at a Lexus dealership with no issues ever noted in the car fax. Where can I look up the more in-depth service records? I have found an issue that’s just developed with the sunroof, so I’ll be taking it in before the 50k is up. Other than that the car looks, feels, and sounds to be in tip top condition. I don’t particularly drive too many miles, so I won’t be racking up the miles as before.

As I don’t know too much about Lexus’s, should I expect to get relatively issue free life out of the car for a while?
Old 06-28-17, 07:12 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Congrats, you might have the highest mileage IS200T here, mine just hit 12k miles. So can't give you assurances with regard to your mileage.

Register at link below to view service records:
https://secure.drivers.lexus.com/lexusdrivers/history
The following users liked this post:
LaZeR (06-28-17)
Old 06-28-17, 07:32 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Clayphace
... I have found an issue that’s just developed with the sunroof, so I’ll be taking it in before the 50k is up. ... As I don’t know too much about Lexus’s, should I expect to get relatively issue free life out of the car for a while?
YES ~ especially since it's a 2016 ~ and don't let the mileage bother you too much but check the tires. Similar to the sunroof issue just make sure you take it in for servicing of any & all items before the warranty expires. Given that, you should experience excellent reliability for many years over other brands. Especially with the HOT Texas sun and roads, new tires will make it feel really good!!

Next time consider a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) which I almost always get and save $1000s of buckaroos. Why? Because dealerships already re-couped revenue from expired leases, then they profit from the sale of a depreciated product, and ultimately YOU save $$$. Some older model GS's had issues with Dashboard components coming loose and/or rattling, and the benefits of CPO even got that fixed for free. And, even for older year vehicles CPO gives you piece of mind for quite a while.

Hope some of this helps!!

Last edited by LaZeR; 06-28-17 at 09:46 PM.
Old 06-28-17, 07:44 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Damn that is a lot of miles. I've always checked carfax to see history of used cars
Old 06-28-17, 07:45 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by EXE46
Wowza ~ found some really interesting stuff in there ~ THANKS for this!!

Last edited by LaZeR; 06-28-17 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-28-17, 07:52 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

I thought you could buy a NEW Car extended warranty as long as the original warranty was still in place (you can in Canada). Should consider buying that with it creeping up to 50k miles and technically still in the window... You would just have to pay an added service fee since it wasn't bought at ~0 miles.
Old 06-28-17, 08:03 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
I thought you could buy a NEW Car extended warranty as long as the original warranty was still in place (you can in Canada). Should consider buying that with it creeping up to 50k miles and technically still in the window... You would just have to pay an added service fee since it wasn't bought at ~0 miles.
I believe you are correct as it applies to the USA. It can get rather steep $$$ however, especially with the # years that you select for additional//extended warranty. Lenovo also offers this for ThinkPads.
Old 06-28-17, 08:06 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LaZeR
...It can get rather steep $$$...
Well knowing that these warranties are like 40% mark up, you can always haggle. You could also call any dealership you want and see what your best price is. In the end its really up to how much you're willing to spend for peace of mind.
Old 06-28-17, 08:14 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by ClubLUser
Ottawa Valley, 2014 IS350 AWD F SPORT 1 [Canadian]
Entirely different note ~ I HOPE you got rustproofing? Canadian Tire widely introduced their rust spraying service a few years ago ~ you can choose from 3 different levels ~ and the pricing is pretty competitive.
Old 06-28-17, 08:21 PM
ClubLUser
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Entirely different note ~ I HOPE you got rustproofing? Canadian Tire widely introduced their rust spraying service a few years ago ~ you can choose from 3 different levels ~ and the pricing is pretty competitive.
I'm a fan of Krown Rustproofing, the one i go to has free loaner cars. I feel more comfortable with a place that specializes in it.
Old 06-28-17, 08:23 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Don't worry about miles, the NX has the same engine and it has been out since 2015, with no real issues to speak of regarding the engine.
Old 06-29-17, 05:27 AM
Clayphace
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I appreciate the responses. I had a big of a panic mode with the “what-if’s“. I think it’ll ultimately come down to treating it well and being knowledgeable about the car.
Old 06-29-17, 05:51 AM
Panzer126
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just keep in mind the maintenance might be a bit more than you expect. I came from a matrix so the maintenance on that was as cheap as can be. I just spent 2k getting pilot sport as3+, new front rotors and pads with a brake fluid flush, changed both filters too while I'm at it.
Old 06-29-17, 04:45 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by Panzer126
Just keep in mind the maintenance might be a bit more than you expect. I came from a matrix so the maintenance on that was as cheap as can be. I just spent 2k getting pilot sport as3+, new front rotors and pads with a brake fluid flush, changed both filters too while I'm at it.
That's a pretty hefty service charge I was about to leave this thread but "pilot sport as3+" caught my eye...So you switched to Michelin ~ how are they? Did you consider anything other than Pilot Sport A/S 3+?

I'm also going Michelin for a 350 F-Sport RWD although stock is Bridgestone (Turanza I THINK?). For now will stagger two new fronts and then later get matching rears. THANKS!!

PS >>> Service at Lexus dealerships are often pretty good about NOT getting new rotors if ya don't wanna spend the extra moola...

Last edited by LaZeR; 06-29-17 at 04:50 PM.
Old 06-29-17, 08:02 PM
3actual
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Panzer126
Service is definitely more expensive compared to a non luxury car, but you can save save some money by doing some of your own work. Cabin/engine air filters are extremely east to change. Most dealerships charge over $100 just to swap them out. Brake pads and rotors are pretty easy too. Brake fluid flushes could be done, but I really hate bleeding brakes so that is something id be willing to pay for.

Quick Reply: First time owner, ease my mind