IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

spring dilemma

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-17, 10:55 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts
Default spring dilemma (pics post number 31)

hi all,

so i have a 2014 IS 250 that i want to drop. i have two options as i ordered (foolishly) both and they are the rs*r down springs and the oem f-sport lowering springs. i'm trying not to ruin my suspension and have to buy new shocks/struts within the next year or so and thus i want to know realistically these two options will fare with regard to suspension components. the rs*r down springs will give me more of what i'm looking for, although the f-sport springs won't void my factory/extended warranty should something down there need to be replaced as a direct cause of either of the two, although the rs*r down springs in particular.

the car is a non-f-sport, although it has the luxury package. is anyone here lowered using the oem f-sport springs? how large is the drop? i'm running 18" oem lexus g spider wheels.

any advice would be appreciated.

thank you!

edit: *pics on page 3, post 31*

Last edited by davyjordi; 07-20-17 at 11:12 AM.
Old 07-09-17, 12:27 PM
leo877
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I have fsport springs. After installed, the rear is at 2 finger gap and maybe a little more at the front. The good thing with this set up is you will have max negative camber(-2.0). Therefor you may not need rear camber kit for tire wear.
The following users liked this post:
davyjordi (07-09-17)
Old 07-09-17, 03:41 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by leo877
I have fsport springs. After installed, the rear is at 2 finger gap and maybe a little more at the front. The good thing with this set up is you will have max negative camber(-2.0). Therefor you may not need rear camber kit for tire wear.
thanks - i appreciate the time it took you to respond!
Old 07-10-17, 06:43 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

If you are worried about shocks getting blown, I would keep the F sport springs. There are people talking about blown shocks after installing RSR downs. Your shocks with F sport springs should be covered by warranty as long as it is installed by the dealership.
Old 07-10-17, 06:50 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by jkonquer
If you are worried about shocks getting blown, I would keep the F sport springs. There are people talking about blown shocks after installing RSR downs. Your shocks with F sport springs should be covered by warranty as long as it is installed by the dealership.
yeah, that's the route that i'm going to take. i don't think i'm going to have them installed at the dealership, though. they're asking 800$ to install the springs. i'd be better off at an indie shop.
Old 07-13-17, 11:25 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

i just received the f-sport lowering springs today and in the packet of papers that came with it it states that i must install f-sport shock absorbers at the same time. because the car these are going on is a non-f-sport, is there any real problem or potential problem installing with the factory shocks?

i'm having them installed tomorrow but want to know what i am getting into.

any insight would be appreciated!
Old 07-13-17, 11:38 AM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Would like to see the before and after pics of the drop, and the funds you had to spend for this project.

I'm thinking of going the fsport spring route, for warranty reasons.
Old 07-13-17, 11:45 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
i just received the f-sport lowering springs today and in the packet of papers that came with it it states that i must install f-sport shock absorbers at the same time. because the car these are going on is a non-f-sport, is there any real problem or potential problem installing with the factory shocks?

i'm having them installed tomorrow but want to know what i am getting into.

any insight would be appreciated!
Personally...if I had the funds to support installing both the F Sport springs and shocks, I'd do it.
I looked for myself when installing my RSR Downs, which drop the vehicle almost the same as the F Sport springs. Not sure if I didn't look hard enough or wasn't looking in the right places, but I couldn't find the F Sport shocks locally.
Presumably my stock shocks will go at some point, maybe by then I will find the F Sport shocks.
Old 07-13-17, 01:42 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Personally...if I had the funds to support installing both the F Sport springs and shocks, I'd do it.
I looked for myself when installing my RSR Downs, which drop the vehicle almost the same as the F Sport springs. Not sure if I didn't look hard enough or wasn't looking in the right places, but I couldn't find the F Sport shocks locally.
Presumably my stock shocks will go at some point, maybe by then I will find the F Sport shocks.
yeah, i'm not really sold on the idea that i have to buy f-sport shocks knowing that my stock shocks will likely be just fine, but i'm with you on buying the f-sport shocks to install along with the f-sport springs but only when the stock shocks fail. hopefully they don't fail within a week or something.
Old 07-13-17, 01:43 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by nathantse
Would like to see the before and after pics of the drop, and the funds you had to spend for this project.

I'm thinking of going the fsport spring route, for warranty reasons.
there are a few before and after pics in the f-sport lowering spring thread within the suspension and brake subforum.
Old 07-13-17, 01:51 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Non Fsport shocks have more dampening for a softer ride, so you'll likely get a lower drop vs fsport. However you won't be in warranty since those two parts are incompatible and your shocks will wear out faster. Usually, your car will be a bit bouncier than before.
F-sport shocks are stiffer, so the drop is not as low. You'll be in warranty and the car handles better. The con here is obviously the cost..
Old 07-13-17, 01:58 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
there are a few before and after pics in the f-sport lowering spring thread within the suspension and brake subforum.
Yeah I found the thread, the drop looks good though. Do you know how much this project will cost you?

Just to confirm, the fsport springs will not affect the avs i the is350? right?
Old 07-13-17, 08:03 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Yeah I found the thread, the drop looks good though. Do you know how much this project will cost you?

about $600. not bad at all. i'll see if impressed with the results of my little project, though. as for your question regarding the avs, i dunno.
Old 07-13-17, 08:11 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

The AVS relates to the strut, not the spring, so once you put the actuators back on, the system will function.
Old 07-18-17, 12:59 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

so, i had the springs put onto my car a few days ago and so far it hasn't "settled" at all -- it looks like the day i picked it up from the shop. i like the subtle rear drop, although the front leaves much to be desired; it looks like it's sitting at stock height. the slight negative rake bugs me. i know many say that the springs have to settle, although manufacturer info states in many cases that there isn't any settling when installing lowering springs. i don't know who makes the stock f-sport lowering springs and that may not matter anyhow. anyway, any tips aside from replacing the springs or am i stuck?

Quick Reply: spring dilemma