Navigation screen black...🤔

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-19, 10:39 AM
Spinney540
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HOMER350
Nice write-up.

I've read in multiple places the suggested battery disconnect time is +10 minutes.

I wonder if there would be any gain in following this reboot even without the blank screen issue.
It all works fine in my '14 but screen will flash blue for a fraction of a second only when using Nav.
Seems like the kinda thing a reboot may fix.
Not sure if this was answered for you but the screen flashes real quick when you're driving over the posted speed limit for that particular road you are on. Speed limits are included in the Nav. If I remember correctly, you can turn this function off in the settings.
Old 10-18-19, 02:14 AM
Bumble24
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by swtjen101
Sorry I know this response is late BUT here is the fix for this. I too had this happen twice. The first time my car sat for a couple of weeks and again yesterday after I had a new battery put in. Everyone at the dealership could not fix it. Even Lexus said they had never heard of this happening (though you see it on several threads). The first time this happened another dealership ended up unplugging my radio and plugging it back in. They thought it was a loose connection. Yesterday they didn't have time to do the same fix so I went home with a black navigation screen (though my radio, climate and etc. worked). I was told I probably needed a new radio to be installed which didn't make sense to me. I actually think it's a software bug or safety thing that is keeping the screen from turning on. I was told I'd have to go to the dealership to get them to reboot the radio but I found an easier way that I hope can help someone in the future if this happens to them.

Here is how to reboot the navigation/display screen:
1. Remove the battery terminals for positive and negative
2. Leave the battery unplugged for 30 minutes to an hour (may actually require less time but this is how long we waited)
3. Press the Start button once to turn on the accessory/battery mode (DO NOT HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE AND START THE CAR). *If you start the car the screen will still remain black and you will have to start over
4. Press the PWR/VOL button to turn on the Radio
5. The display screen will light up and show a progress bar showing it is loading the information from the SIM card. Once this completes the system will reboot and the display will light up as normal.

Hope this helps!
Please help!! My display screen completely black, my usb and radio don’t work either. I read a few suggestions and tried them out; unplugging the battery and waiting and trying again . I also replaced the radio and the power outlet fuse but it’s still not working. Can anyone please help me ???? I’m not sure what to do and I’m trying to avoid going to Lexus to have them take a look.
The following users liked this post:
JDMBA2009 (01-09-22)
Old 10-18-19, 02:25 AM
Bumble24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by ylexus
UGH.. I have a 2016 IS 250 and out of no where my Audio went out and screen is black! My back up camera still works, but my USB adapter is out and I also noticed that my mirror sensors are no longer turning on. I was thinking maybe a fuse, but the screen/radio has been turning on and off maybe once or twice a day for a matter of seconds. I can also see the USB light flickering and at night I can see the actual screen flicker. I haven't had any problems with the battery so thinking it might be some kind of short. Do you guys think the whole battery trick posted on here will do the job? Thank you.
I am having the same issue. What did you do to get it fixed ??
Old 10-18-19, 02:34 AM
Bumble24
Driver School Candidate

What was the fix ?
Old 10-18-19, 02:35 AM
Bumble24
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by rawlinsl
Happened to me last Friday on my '14 IS250. Been a rough week with no Nav/ Radio. I've tried pulling the fuse and leaving the battery unplugged. No luck. I have an appointment with Lexus scheduled tomorrow, hopefully they are able to diagnose and resolve.
What was the fix?
Old 11-02-19, 04:03 PM
Jewcano
No Sir, I Don't Like It

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by dschaefer
Note:
step 2a. Reconnect the battery terminals. Too obvious huh?
step 4a. Wait, it took about 20-50 seconds for it to start loading. Don't touch anything, let it complete the process.

I was so happy to see this screen come to life! Thanks Again!!!!
My mom took her vehicle to Pep Boys after we found out her battery died (used a power bank to start her up and got her to the pepboys). Everything was working just fine. She got a new battery and calls me up and says the screen wasn't working and her phone wasn't connecting. Well long story short, got me to this thread and either I'm not following those steps right, or they screwed up something worse.

When you press the start button once, does the door have to be closed? After you press the start button, how long do you wait until you press the Volume button? During the lexus symbol, right after the lexus symbol, or after the side menu pops up? Here are a couple photos of her issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

SDGS350 (04-29-20)
Old 11-02-19, 05:04 PM
ylexus
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bumble24
I am having the same issue. What did you do to get it fixed ??
I haven’t fixed it yet!! Sucks having no radio, but haven’t had time to take it in. I’m so trying to avoid the dealership, but don’t know what to do either 😒
Old 12-15-19, 03:58 PM
raulrojas
Driver School Candidate

Default Swtjen101 your a God sent!

Sorry I know this response is late BUT here is the fix for this. I too had this happen twice. The first time my car sat for a couple of weeks and again yesterday after I had a new battery put in. Everyone at the dealership could not fix it. Even Lexus said they had never heard of this happening (though you see it on several threads). The first time this happened another dealership ended up unplugging my radio and plugging it back in. They thought it was a loose connection. Yesterday they didn't have time to do the same fix so I went home with a black navigation screen (though my radio, climate and etc. worked). I was told I probably needed a new radio to be installed which didn't make sense to me. I actually think it's a software bug or safety thing that is keeping the screen from turning on. I was told I'd have to go to the dealership to get them to reboot the radio but I found an easier way that I hope can help someone in the future if this happens to them.

2. Leave the battery unplugged for 30 minutes to an hour (may actually require less time but this is how long we waited)
3. Press the Start button once to turn on the accessory/battery mode (DO NOT HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE AND START THE CAR). *If you start the car the screen will still remain black and you will have to start over
5. The display screen will light up and show a progress bar showing it is loading the information from the SIM card. Once this completes the system will reboot and the display will light up as normal.

Hope this helps!
I also created this account just to thank you swtjen101. Thanks so much. Your steps worked like a charm on my IS 350. Saved me a trip to the dealer and for sure a tone of money. Thanks for taking the time to post it. Cheers!!
efstone (03-23-23)
Old 02-02-20, 05:16 PM
FSprtRC350
Driver School Candidate

So was the screen bad ??? Does the radio control the screen?? My radio stopped working after taking the Neg wire off the screen is now black
Originally Posted by Roffles
i posted the dealer findings in my edits above. they troubleshooted a few different things and ultimately determined the radio receiver unit had failed. manager was like "we pulled the navigation screen and installed it in another car to make sure it was working"... which annoyed me because they could have tested it by placing the gear position into R and seeing the backup camera. with parts and labor this will be a 4-figure repair.
Old 04-17-20, 07:28 PM
Hurricane4
Driver School Candidate

Default Solution

Good evening Manny. I read over your thread and you lr situation is exactly like mine. Down to the smallest details. Happened to me the other day and it’s twisting me every which way. If you did find a solution that would be awesome. Thank you.
Old 04-24-20, 09:17 AM
ts01397747
Driver School Candidate

it worked ! at the third attempt though. During the quarantine for Covid 19, my 2015 IS250 had been sitting in my garage for more than a month and yesterday I had to go out for groceries, so I connected my battery and when out for shopping and noticed that the screen is black. This morning I found that the negative terminal has some rust on it. Cleaned it and connect it back to battery after approximately 25~30 min. screen lighted up and showed two different message. after the lexus animation, the first one was too quick and gone with some black background and white font texts. screen went black and turn on right after saying system is loading with SD card image and progress bar. everything worked out just fine after the system rebooted properly. thank you so much for the fix !!
Old 04-29-20, 06:37 PM
SDGS350
5th Gear

Originally Posted by Jewcano
My mom took her vehicle to Pep Boys after we found out her battery died (used a power bank to start her up and got her to the pepboys). Everything was working just fine. She got a new battery and calls me up and says the screen wasn't working and her phone wasn't connecting. Well long story short, got me to this thread and either I'm not following those steps right, or they screwed up something worse.

When you press the start button once, does the door have to be closed? After you press the start button, how long do you wait until you press the Volume button? During the lexus symbol, right after the lexus symbol, or after the side menu pops up? Here are a couple photos of her issue. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I have the exact same issue. And the same questions as you. I am going to try with the door closed and press the volume button right after the power button. I have the battery disconnected now with the positive leads grounded now. I will let you know if the process described in this thread solved my problem.

Update. After trying unsuccessfully several times with the steps in the this thread, i decided to bring the car to the dealer. Needed the 100k service anyway. Dealer is saying to replace the radio unit for $2500.00

Last edited by SDGS350; 05-11-20 at 08:55 AM. Reason: Update
Old 09-09-20, 03:29 AM
WMC
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Blank screen/ blown on board computer

Originally Posted by Lhduran
The battery in my 2014 Lexus IS 250 suddenly died and I had to replace it.....after the battery was replaced I started my car to find that my navigation screen was black with no response. I have searched and can't seem to find anything in regards to it!
This happened to me - (2014 15,000 miles on the clock) . I think I am going to take this further and will issue proceedings in Court. I would like to know if any of you would like to join me in a group action to reclaim the money you have had to spend on fixing what I believe is a manufacture defect. If you do, please respond to this post. If you do not I would be grateful if you could confirm whether you are willing for me to take a witness statement from you, to support mine and possible others claims.

I had the battery changed after it had died, turned the car back on and the screen was blank. I had the fuses checked and they are fine. I took the car to Lexus, Edgware Road, London. I informed them that all the fuses had been checked and were fine, they stated that there was no reset and I would need to book my car in for diagnostics at a cost of £196.00. I was initially told that this would cover up to 2 hours work on the car. I received a call later that day to say they had checked the fuses (about 20 minutes work) and they needed to carry out further diagnostics, which would cost me in excess of £500.00. They stated that they needed to check if a wire had disconnected, which would involve the removal of more panels. I was told if it is not a wire and the Sat Nav has broken, it will cost me in the region of an additional £2,000.00 to replace. (£2,696 together) I refused this stating that I only had the battery changed. I informed them that having looked at this and other threads it is clear that it is a recurring problem with 3rd Gen (an inherent fault/defect) and in fact other Lexus models. Lexus stated that they have known of this being a problem with earlier models, but not the IS250 3rd Gen. I requested my complaint was escalated. The response from Lexus GB was that I would have to pay for the further diagnostics (£500 +) and if the Sat Nav needs replacing they MAY, be able to offer me some kind of discount. I have not accepted this, I sent a letter to the legal department and they have come back saying it is not their fault, there is no evidence of manufacture defect . . .go away. I am not happy about this and think action should be taken against them. I understand that cars have faults and that we as owners have to pay for the faults if not under warranty, however those faults should not be manufacture faults.
The following 2 users liked this post by WMC:
JennSouth (01-27-21), ShrinkDoc (09-09-20)
Old 10-29-20, 03:27 AM
Grishata
Driver School Candidate

Hey guys , i'm pretty sure i need to replace my PCB board as well since i have the black screen on my 07 IS 250 .
I was wandering since my car has the left side steering wheel , would it matter if i get a second hand nav unit from a right sided car and switch the PCB boards ? I am worried since visually the buttons on the NAVIs are opposite for both models.

Thanks in advance
Old 12-12-20, 04:33 PM
luilly3d
Driver School Candidate

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Hope this helps!
saved my day after replacing dead battery on IS200T 16’ !! Thanks for sharing!

Quick Reply: Navigation screen black...🤔