Navigation screen black...🤔

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-23, 05:09 PM
BigBrain
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up This worked! 2014 is250

Originally Posted by swtjen101
sorry i know this response is late but here is the fix for this. I too had this happen twice. The first time my car sat for a couple of weeks and again yesterday after i had a new battery put in. Everyone at the dealership could not fix it. Even lexus said they had never heard of this happening (though you see it on several threads). The first time this happened another dealership ended up unplugging my radio and plugging it back in. They thought it was a loose connection. Yesterday they didn't have time to do the same fix so i went home with a black navigation screen (though my radio, climate and etc. Worked). I was told i probably needed a new radio to be installed which didn't make sense to me. I actually think it's a software bug or safety thing that is keeping the screen from turning on. I was told i'd have to go to the dealership to get them to reboot the radio but i found an easier way that i hope can help someone in the future if this happens to them.

here is how to reboot the navigation/display screen:
1. Remove the battery terminals for positive and negative
2. Leave the battery unplugged for 30 minutes to an hour (may actually require less time but this is how long we waited)
3. Press the start button once to turn on the accessory/battery mode (do not have your foot on the brake and start the car). *if you start the car the screen will still remain black and you will have to start over
4. Press the pwr/vol button to turn on the radio
5. The display screen will light up and show a progress bar showing it is loading the information from the sim card. Once this completes the system will reboot and the display will light up as normal.

hope this helps!
this absolutely helped!
The following users liked this post:
Xenith (04-28-23)
Old 12-19-23, 06:49 AM
Wahfien
9th Gear

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Reviving this thread.

Ive lived with this issue for a year. Been avoiding dropping the cash on a new headunit for my 2014 is350 f sport. My plan has been to get a used headunit from a 2017 RCF for about $900.

before I do so I want to see if anyone has found any new information on a solution. To note, power cycle method never worked. But as cold mornings occur on occasion everything will boot up for a minute or two before crashing again.
Old 12-23-23, 10:34 PM
ariii
1st Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry I know this response is late BUT here is the fix for this. I too had this happen twice. The first time my car sat for a couple of weeks and again yesterday after I had a new battery put in. Everyone at the dealership could not fix it. Even Lexus said they had never heard of this happening (though you see it on several threads). The first time this happened another dealership ended up unplugging my radio and plugging it back in. They thought it was a loose connection. Yesterday they didn't have time to do the same fix so I went home with a black navigation screen (though my radio, climate and etc. worked). I was told I probably needed a new radio to be installed which didn't make sense to me. I actually think it's a software bug or safety thing that is keeping the screen from turning on. I was told I'd have to go to the dealership to get them to reboot the radio but I found an easier way that I hope can help someone in the future if this happens to them.

Here is how to reboot the navigation/display screen:
2. Leave the battery unplugged for 30 minutes to an hour (may actually require less time but this is how long we waited)
3. Press the Start button once to turn on the accessory/battery mode (DO NOT HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE AND START THE CAR). *If you start the car the screen will still remain black and you will have to start over
4. Press the PWR/VOL button to turn on the Radio
5. The display screen will light up and show a progress bar showing it is loading the information from the SIM card. Once this completes the system will reboot and the display will light up as normal.

Hope this helps!

I am new here lol. Not even sure if I’m writing in the same area. I am hoping this works for me. I have a 2016 Lexus is 300. I tried the ss card trick and it worked for one car ride and went back to it. Same issues as others on this thread. My screen is restarting all the time however my backup camera works just fine. The screen could be off and radio not working but I put it in reverse and the backup screen pops up. All of the a/c controls work but I did notice three times my defrost was the only option that worked after starting it and randomly then the heat would work again. You could hear the air running but it wasn’t coming out. Another thing is the usb ports stopped working like 3 years ago. I gave up on that a long time ago. If my phone dies and idk where I’m at I have to pray my screen turns on long enough to follow the red dots to somewhere I recognize if they’re even there. I work 1 1/2 away from home so all of this is just so fun to deal with. I am so happy I saw this thread because you may have saved me a lot of time and frustration. It sucks for all of us but I’m glad I’m not alone. My mom has a newer model and she thought I did something to mine lol. Now I can show her this. I will call my local dealer when they’re open and tell them about this defect. My mom used to work there so I’m hoping she can call someone that can do something. I know one thing, I refuse to pay that much for a new radio when it’s a manufacturer defect. I hope you all have great holidays! I will post an update when I try this.
The following users liked this post:
mojomusic72 (01-24-24)
Old 01-24-24, 03:24 PM
mojomusic72
2nd gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry I know this response is late BUT here is the fix for this. I too had this happen twice. The first time my car sat for a couple of weeks and again yesterday after I had a new battery put in. Everyone at the dealership could not fix it. Even Lexus said they had never heard of this happening (though you see it on several threads). The first time this happened another dealership ended up unplugging my radio and plugging it back in. They thought it was a loose connection. Yesterday they didn't have time to do the same fix so I went home with a black navigation screen (though my radio, climate and etc. worked). I was told I probably needed a new radio to be installed which didn't make sense to me. I actually think it's a software bug or safety thing that is keeping the screen from turning on. I was told I'd have to go to the dealership to get them to reboot the radio but I found an easier way that I hope can help someone in the future if this happens to them.

Here is how to reboot the navigation/display screen:
3. Press the Start button once to turn on the accessory/battery mode (DO NOT HAVE YOUR FOOT ON THE BRAKE AND START THE CAR). *If you start the car the screen will still remain black and you will have to start over
4. Press the PWR/VOL button to turn on the Radio
5. The display screen will light up and show a progress bar showing it is loading the information from the SIM card. Once this completes the system will reboot and the display will light up as normal.

Hope this helps!

This worked but it failed again after shutting car off and restarting. For clarity, it is the Nav portion not working. The side screen with climate, audio, etc is on.

Other oddities: screen says "audio off" even though audio is on. Can't get radio information to appear on HUD.
Old 01-24-24, 03:43 PM
mojomusic72
2nd gear

Default Same

Originally Posted by efstone
This worked for me as well! But then everything failed again the next morning… Suggestions on dealing with this issue if it repeats itself? I can’t be unplugging my battery for 10 minutes every single day. (Also 10 minutes worked for me rather than 30)
Same situation for me.
Old 01-25-24, 02:22 AM
danielharry
3rd Gear

I try this one but it could not helpful for me.
Old 05-02-24, 05:15 PM
GriffLex
10th Gear

I had the same issue starting a couple of weeks ago on my 2016 IS350, with the Mark Levinson system. Happened after a battery change and the blank screen, backup camera worked, system intermittently came on and then finally went out. Found Original Car Audio in Burnsville, MN - www.cd4car.com 952.707.6200.. Spoke to a rep there and explained my issue, they advised sounded like the 'known' issue and would have to run a test. Ended up actually traveling there last week for work and brought the head unit with me. Worked with Jon, who was amazing and very familiar with the Lexus units. They fixed the unit and I installed it back in the car this past weekend. It works perfectly, I would definitely recommend talking to them about your unit.

What was explained to me (high level) is that when a battery change or jump, could cause the issue as the original stereo didn't have a circuit protector on the board, which starts there, impacts the chip, graphics card, ram etc. They also put a circuit protector on the rebuild to hopefully prevent that issue in the future.

Hope this helps...

This listing on ebay is where I first started:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/17513977274...mis&media=COPY
Old 05-02-24, 06:37 PM
Supra8
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Not sure if I had mentioned it already but I sent my radio from my 2014 Non-ML Navi model to OEM Car Audio in MN. I had the black screen, constant reboot, etc. The first time I sent it, I had some issues when I got it back, and they advised me to send it again as they found a new method to get it working permanently. Its been about a year and a few months ever since and it has worked flawlessly through the harsh winter cold and hot summer months up here in Canada. They give you 1 year warranty on it. So if its acting up again within the year, you can send it right back. My radio code was P10435.

It costed me roughly $1,000 CAD all in. The guys there are great and turn around time was like 2 weeks. If you do call ask for Jon, he helped me through the process.

Edit: I didnt even read the post above as I typed this, but there you go lol. 2 of us here can vouch.