IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What should Lexus focus on for the next generation Lexus IS?
Better engines and/or transmission choices
63.64%
Hybrid Option
1.01%
Interior Quality, Features, Fit and Finish
12.12%
Exterior Styling
1.01%
Audio/Nav/Entertainment
18.18%
Color/Trim Choices
1.01%
More interior space
3.03%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

What should Lexus focus on changing/improving for the next generation Lexus IS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-17, 03:14 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus
Forum Moderator

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

bring back the IS-F
The following 3 users liked this post by jadu:
EXE46 (07-27-17), Joelseff (08-07-17), waleedj3is (07-31-17)
Old 07-27-17, 03:16 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
Hey @ jay90011 I test drove several BMWs (also Audi & Benz & GS350 FSport), and everyone agrees BMW engines are more powerful, constantly surging, and YES it's perplexing Lexus hasn't caught up to European counterparts in terms of gas mileage, however in my test drives I try to FEEL the car, taking into consideration how well all components work in conjunction with each other, and ended up with a IS350 FSport RWD with AVS and 18" wheels.

Sure, the engine isn't as powerful as some BMWs I drove, but the IS350 FSport just felt better and more confident cornering under acceleration > the car just plants itself in every angle/bend of turns encouraging you to step on the pedal whereas BMW just feels old school now. AVS working in synch with the transmission is awesome, agility, nimbleness, and of course reliability over the long run, are all wins. Power is there when ya want it, especially going around ~95 +/- on highways FEELS WAYyyy BETTER than BMW, and I disagree with folks who might diss IS350 steering. Dunno... BMW's drive and enjoyment of it thereof are just kinda boring these days, same ole hum drum, whereas the IS350 FSport gives ya something fresh and new to experience.
I am sure many forum member here would agree that the Lexus is a more cohesive driving experience, especially when it comes to handling vs. feel, compared to a new 3-series, but that doesn't mean the engine couldn't be replaced with something equally well-engineered but more efficient/powerful. Many auto publications agree - the IS doesn't need more power to be fun, but it does feel like the IS 350 isn't the ultimate level of performance the car could handle, not to mention the competition's level of acceleration.

Thing is, I'd imagine enthusiasts would pick the IS 350 as the handling choice, alongside something like the ATS, not the stop-light-drag-race-winning choice, like the BMW 340i or the Jaguar XE 35t. But you at least agree better gas mileage and more widely-available 8-speeds would be nice, yes? That's why the drivetrain needs a refreshing.
Old 07-27-17, 03:35 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey @ jay90011 I've been driving Lexus for 15+ years, and for the longest time, as well as just recently wanted AND THOUGHT I'd buy something different. I test drove several BMWs (also Audi & Benz & GS350 FSport), and everyone agrees BMW engines are more powerful, constantly surging, and YES it's perplexing Lexus hasn't caught up to European counterparts in terms of gas mileage, however in my test drives I try to FEEL the car, taking into consideration how well all components work in conjunction with each other, and ended up with a IS350 FSport RWD with AVS and 18" wheels.

Sure, the engine isn't as powerful as some BMWs I drove, but the IS350 FSport just felt better and more confident cornering under acceleration > the car just plants itself in every angle/bend of turns encouraging you to step on the pedal whereas BMW just feels old school now. AVS working in synch with the transmission is awesome, agility, nimbleness, and of course reliability over the long run, are all wins. Power is there when ya want it, especially going around ~95 +/- on highways FEELS WAYyyy BETTER than BMW, and I disagree with folks who might diss IS350 steering. Dunno... BMW's drive and enjoyment of it thereof are just kinda boring these days, same ole hum drum, whereas the IS350 FSport gives ya something fresh and new to experience.

IMO Audi & Benz also beat out BMW but then you're getting up there wrt pricing, of course again the reliability aspect over the long run, and don't forget Lexus gives ya RED SEATS!! I'm surrounded by neighbors parking beside me with premier BMW 3xx's, 5xx's, Benz, GS350s, and my IS350 FSport is often the subject of car enthusiasts' inquisitiveness ~ you should see their faces lol Anyway, just ranting 2 cents!!
Originally Posted by arentz07
I am sure many forum member here would agree that the Lexus is a more cohesive driving experience, especially when it comes to handling vs. feel, compared to a new 3-series, but that doesn't mean the engine couldn't be replaced with something equally well-engineered but more efficient/powerful. Many auto publications agree - the IS doesn't need more power to be fun, but it does feel like the IS 350 isn't the ultimate level of performance the car could handle, not to mention the competition's level of acceleration.

Thing is, I'd imagine enthusiasts would pick the IS 350 as the handling choice, alongside something like the ATS, not the stop-light-drag-race-winning choice, like the BMW 340i or the Jaguar XE 35t. But you at least agree better gas mileage and more widely-available 8-speeds would be nice, yes? That's why the drivetrain needs a refreshing.
YA OF COURSE I AGREE with your points highlighted, including a new/updated powerful engine, transmission system, etc, however if you see above I specifically wrote that I was merely just "RANTING". I also understand those features seem to be the most important to most folks. The highlighted points weren't the focus, nor my vote in this poll, coz if 2018 or 2019 IS models include this I'm going to be extremely jealous and experience remorse, like my neighbors I mentioned, or with any other improvements for that matter!! LOL

PS >>> one more point > unless we get free & clear country or mountain roads, or go to a track, how often can we actually push our cars to 120 mph, 130 mph? Similar applies to folks driving around in $60k Corvettes, Ferrari, Porsche, Lamborghini, etc.

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-27-17 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-27-17, 05:45 PM
Stevent
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as I love my IS350 I trade it in a heart beat for an next gen ISF or manual IS350
Old 07-27-17, 07:05 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

ISF FTW priced 60K
Old 07-28-17, 06:59 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

smaller side mirrors (lol) and better handling. keep the size...don't want it to become a gs.
Old 07-28-17, 07:01 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by gbgary
smaller side mirrors (lol) and better handling. keep the size...don't want it to become a gs.
This. Like the size however better use of space. I'd give up some trunk space to get more rear legroom. CarPlay would be nice.
Old 07-28-17, 07:18 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
This. Like the size however better use of space. I'd give up some trunk space to get more rear legroom. CarPlay would be nice.
Agreed. The size is perfect.
Old 07-28-17, 07:22 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Rear legroom is something that could be better, but this is a compact car... I'd also be worried about the proportions getting messed up. I like the side profile of the current car - keep it!
Old 07-28-17, 12:57 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Hey @ jay90011 I've been driving Lexus for 15+ years, and for the longest time, as well as just recently wanted AND THOUGHT I'd buy something different. I test drove several BMWs (also Audi & Benz & GS350 FSport), and everyone agrees BMW engines are more powerful, constantly surging, and YES it's perplexing Lexus hasn't caught up to European counterparts in terms of gas mileage, however in my test drives I try to FEEL the car, taking into consideration how well all components work in conjunction with each other, and ended up with a IS350 FSport RWD with AVS and 18" wheels.

IMO Audi & Benz also beat out BMW but then you're getting up there wrt pricing, of course again the reliability aspect over the long run, and don't forget Lexus gives ya RED SEATS!! I'm surrounded by neighbors parking beside me with premier BMW 3xx's, 5xx's, Benz, GS350s, and my IS350 FSport is often the subject of car enthusiasts' inquisitiveness ~ you should see their faces lol Anyway, just ranting 2 cents!!

PS >>> WHY does BMW put dual exhaust on the SAME SIDE?? Not sure about engineering or technical details but staggering this on each side looks so much better...
I completely agree with you when it comes to suspension, handling and enjoyment to drive. This is the only reason why i still have my IS350 F-sport. With sticky tires, the car in Sport+. and Apexi throttle controller the car is in its own ball park.To get the same enjoyment and engaging drive experience with the Germans you are looking at M/AMG/S cars for the other brands.

I was on the fence about getting rid of it for something with more power (Challenger SRT, Camaro SS 1LE or Mustang GT. Been itching for a V8) But the Lexus just feels much better on the twisty's though the Camaro almost had me sold until i sat in one for a week and appreciated the interior of the Lexus more. Keeping the car maybe another year or two in hope that the 4th gen IS comes with a turbo 6. If not a heavy Rc-F will be the next car after.
Old 07-28-17, 01:02 PM
jay90011
Pole Position

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Also forgot to mention that i hope Lexus brings back the aggressive final gear found in the 2IS IS350's and on the wishlist any type of LSD for the rear.
Old 07-28-17, 02:29 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by jay90011
... Keeping the car maybe another year or two in hope that the 4th gen IS comes with a turbo 6. ...
What highly rated, long term RELIABLE brands/models, have turbo 6 cylinder engines right now? And, priced around ~$40k+/- ? THANKS!!

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-28-17 at 03:22 PM.
Old 07-28-17, 03:37 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 228 Likes on 171 Posts

What highly rated, long term RELIABLE brands/models, have turbo 6 cylinder engines right now? And, priced around ~$40k+/- ? THANKS!!
Audi A4.

http://www.jdpower.com/cars/articles...le-luxury-cars
Old 07-28-17, 04:16 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Originally Posted by jay90011
... Keeping the car maybe another year or two in hope that the 4th gen IS comes with a turbo 6. ...
Originally Posted by EZZ
hmmm was not aware any Audi A4 models have turbo AND 6-cylinder... Will have to research that list some more.

Still can't find many affordable & reliable cars with turbo AND 6 cylinders right now! lol Anyone?

EDIT:
The Toyota JZ Engine is pretty much the most reliable turbo six of the modern era. Then there is the Ford Ecoboost 3.5L V6, which is very good and pretty durable, and the BMW N54/N55. Those are the big three.

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-28-17 at 04:45 PM.
Old 07-29-17, 05:54 AM
LeapFrog
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Must have: Android Auto / Car Play

I won't buy another car without Android Auto / Car Play. No more expensive, slow, obsolete-when-purchased and unfriendly "built in" navigation or infotainment systems for me. Lexus take note: You want my continued business? You need to get with the program.

Android Auto, now with Waze!

https://www.theverge.com/2017/7/26/1...gation-carplay

Last edited by LeapFrog; 07-29-17 at 06:01 AM.

Quick Reply: What should Lexus focus on changing/improving for the next generation Lexus IS?