IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: What should Lexus focus on for the next generation Lexus IS?
Better engines and/or transmission choices
63.64%
Hybrid Option
1.01%
Interior Quality, Features, Fit and Finish
12.12%
Exterior Styling
1.01%
Audio/Nav/Entertainment
18.18%
Color/Trim Choices
1.01%
More interior space
3.03%
Voters: 99. You may not vote on this poll

What should Lexus focus on changing/improving for the next generation Lexus IS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-17, 12:51 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,218 Likes on 1,660 Posts

Originally Posted by davyjordi
This poll should have allowed us to choose more than one option.
I think that would be cool, but also at the same time it's more of "if you had to pick one" to sort of put emphasis. Seems most people want engine upgrades. Great discussion guys.
Old 07-31-17, 12:52 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by gbgary
smaller side mirrors (lol) and better handling. keep the size...don't want it to become a gs.
In 2009 (or around there) US cars are required to have mirrors of a certain size. So they've gotta be big here. Which means its cost-effective for them to be big everywhere.
Old 07-31-17, 01:38 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Although HP isn't the reason why I bought this car, I would like to see higher hp power with higher rev range but not with a turbo. I had several turbos cars in the past and they are just way to high maintenance. A new IS-F would be ideal.
Old 07-31-17, 10:32 PM
ChineseKFC
Pit Crew

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by drdreydel
what A/C problem?
After turning on the a/c and coming back to the car it smells like mildew, I have tried all the diy fixes.
Old 07-31-17, 11:14 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Not sure why this exchange makes me "lol" a l'il bit
Originally Posted by ChineseKFC
fix the a/c problem.
Originally Posted by drdreydel
what A/C problem?
After turning on the a/c and coming back to the car it smells like mildew, I have tried all the diy fixes.
Anyway, what are all the DIY fixes you tried? Does this include vacuuming out and/or washing the Cabin A/C Filter, or getting a new one and spraying it with Lysol or Febreze?

Also, always/constantly keeping the air flow mode setting on "Recirculated" sometimes causes this issue. Plz try changing the mode to "Outside Air" and keep it that way for a while.

Last edited by LaZeR; 07-31-17 at 11:27 PM.
Old 08-01-17, 04:48 AM
Ciggy
Lead Lap

Received 89 Likes on 65 Posts

Do all models include reverse camera rite now? If not they will soon as a few years ago the federal government mandated all cars come equipped with backup camera by a certain year. It was sometime in 2018.
Old 08-01-17, 06:23 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I can't believe that after 20 years they still have such a pathetic excuse for cup holders. I love the car, but I am about ready to trade it on an Acura TLX just because of the cup holders. It's a small car so I get there isn't a lot of room to play with, but going to a style like the E90 BMW that pops out of the dash would solve that problem. It looks tacky, but not near as tacky as a luxury car that doesn't even have a passenger arm rest.

Someone mentioned side side view camera like Honda, which would also be a nice option assuming they put it on the correct side. The Honda one is useful for parallel parking but that's about it. They put it on the right instead of left side, but the left is your blind side. I figured it was because it's designed in Japan and they just moved the driver controls to the left for our market here.
Old 08-01-17, 07:15 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

this doesn't sound like an issue with Lexus, and more of a maintenance problem. I find this generally happens when cabin filters are dirty, and the ac doesn't get used very much. The moisture sitting on the evap encourages mold and mildew growth. I think there's commercially available ac cleaners. Stuff I've used comes with a long hose and is kinda foamy. I've found that works quite well. Don't remember the brand though
Old 08-01-17, 08:29 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Received 3,923 Likes on 1,980 Posts

Originally Posted by Viktimize
I can't believe that after 20 years they still have such a pathetic excuse for cup holders. I love the car, but I am about ready to trade it on an Acura TLX just because of the cup holders. It's a small car so I get there isn't a lot of room to play with, but going to a style like the E90 BMW that pops out of the dash would solve that problem. It looks tacky, but not near as tacky as a luxury car that doesn't even have a passenger arm rest.

Someone mentioned side side view camera like Honda, which would also be a nice option assuming they put it on the correct side. The Honda one is useful for parallel parking but that's about it. They put it on the right instead of left side, but the left is your blind side. I figured it was because it's designed in Japan and they just moved the driver controls to the left for our market here.
Huh? I find visibility on the right-rear side to always be more of a problem. That's where you have blind spots due to the c-pillar and the b-pillar. Visibility in the IS is great though - took no adjustment whatsoever coming from a Camry. I'd say the camera idea is nice, but auto-tilting side mirrors for parallel parking would be more useful and should be higher on their list of priorities.

In addition, I'd have to agree the cupholders need work, but it's not a deal breaker. I probably would be more upset if I actually needed the cupholders more than a couple times a month, though...
Old 08-01-17, 09:03 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Originally Posted by Jay89
this doesn't sound like an issue with Lexus, and more of a maintenance problem. I find this generally happens when cabin filters are dirty, and the ac doesn't get used very much. The moisture sitting on the evap encourages mold and mildew growth. I think there's commercially available ac cleaners. Stuff I've used comes with a long hose and is kinda foamy. I've found that works quite well. Don't remember the brand though
Seems to be a fairly common issue I hear about with Lexus specifically. I have same issue with the wife's IS250. They must just have a poor evaporator drain set up.

Turning off A/C for 5 min before shutting the car down can help, it gives some time to blow air through the evaorater and dry it off.
Old 08-01-17, 09:10 AM
Viktimize
Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
Huh? I find visibility on the right-rear side to always be more of a problem. That's where you have blind spots due to the c-pillar and the b-pillar. Visibility in the IS is great though - took no adjustment whatsoever coming from a Camry. I'd say the camera idea is nice, but auto-tilting side mirrors for parallel parking would be more useful and should be higher on their list of priorities.

In addition, I'd have to agree the cupholders need work, but it's not a deal breaker. I probably would be more upset if I actually needed the cupholders more than a couple times a month, though...
thats weird that you have a blind spot issue on the side of the car you can see out of. For most people it's the driver side since human anatomy means you have to turn your head a lot farther, and the Bpillar is so close that it creates a massive blind spot. 2 door cars are way worse too, I've had a 370z and a Viper where I pretty much had to stick my head out the window to check my left side blind spot.

Definitely should have auto tilt mirrors. My BMW's back in 2002 had that feature already. I'd settle for those over a side view camera.

I hardly use cup holders either. But I ride passenger in the wife's car enough that I see first hand how uncomfortable it is for the passenger. Just seems unjust for a luxury car to be so uncomfortable for someone riding shotgun.
Old 08-01-17, 09:21 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

^^ a lot of these requests come down to merging the luxury package with the f-sport package. it's a poor position to put someone in who likes the features of both packages.
Old 08-01-17, 09:27 AM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

Originally Posted by Viktimize
Seems to be a fairly common issue I hear about with Lexus specifically. I have same issue with the wife's IS250. They must just have a poor evaporator drain set up.

Turning off A/C for 5 min before shutting the car down can help, it gives some time to blow air through the evaorater and dry it off.
I tried doing something like that, but it seemed to make it worse. Recently I have taken the approach of setting the A/C to Auto and leaving it alone, and that seems to work better. Just my experience so far.
Old 08-01-17, 01:50 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

The cupholders in the doors work great for soda cans and small drinks. The ones on the armrest I agree are in a poor spot. They should just find a way to put them up front. They sacrificed looks (high center stack) so made it awkward to put cupholders there. Figure it out, Lexus.

Do it Audi style.

Do we need the stack
high?

Oh and Lexus please do something about the steering wheel. It's GREAT except the cheap plastic trim. I want to barf every time i touch it. Make it high quality rubberized soft material like BMW did 15 years ago with their lineup. Or just cover it in leather or at least vinyl. but no cheap plastic

Great except all the plastic buttons (too shiny and cheap looking) and light tan upper and lower plastic trim. The rest of the steering wheel is great though.

Old 08-01-17, 01:55 PM
arentz07
drives cars
Forum Moderator

+1 on the cheap plastic trim on the wheel. I love the smooth leather, the size, the 9-and-3 grip, the way it looks, the thickness... but I remember about 3 days into having the car I tapped on that plastic surrounding the buttons and was like, "... Wow, how did I not notice how cheap this plastic is!?" I don't usually complain, because I love the steering wheel otherwise.

If I had to throw something out there, maybe also some more solid-feeling paddles? They are better than some I have used but still obviously plastic.

Quick Reply: What should Lexus focus on changing/improving for the next generation Lexus IS?