IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Nav Screen Scratches

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-17, 11:08 AM
volthause
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've been using a cleaner called Plexus to clean mine without any issues. It's designed for cleaning lexan, plexiglass and other plastics, but it's a gentle cleaner and works well when used with a soft terry cloth.
Old 08-08-17, 02:52 PM
spraytask
Rookie

Where did you get the Plexus cleaner? I also have scratches and dust on it but scared to clean it after reading all the comments. I didnt know the screen was so fkn sensitive..
Old 08-09-17, 11:02 AM
volthause
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by spraytask
Where did you get the Plexus cleaner? I also have scratches and dust on it but scared to clean it after reading all the comments. I didnt know the screen was so fkn sensitive..
I got it from Amazon. I originally got it for cleaning the plastic windshields on motorcycles. It worked great for that so now I use it for everything that's delicate.
Old 08-17-17, 12:58 PM
Luisvm
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SikhSipahi
Are you sure?? Because the issue was never the screen, it was the anti glare coating. It says "Dealers will replace the coating" on the TSB. How are you suppose to clean it, If someone touches it?
I think they just replace it with a cover/anti-glare face that sits directly in front of the actual screen. I did some research on this a while back when I was thinking about replacing it myself. My screen cover isn't defective, but I have a few minor scratches. Here's the part number I found:

http://www.lexuspartsnow.com/parts/lexus-parts-multi-display~86134-53030.html?Make=Lexus&Model=IS350&Year=2014&Submodel=Base&Filter=()&Location=navigation-front-monitor-display,,86134A

Last edited by Luisvm; 08-17-17 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-18-17, 02:06 PM
eman27
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

all the plastic parts in this car is SUPER prone to scratching from the lightest touch. its super annoying!
Old 08-21-17, 02:59 AM
james1101
Driver School Candidate

windex and mf cloth and some serious elbow grease got rid of the anti glare for me (except the edges)...
Old 10-05-17, 10:14 AM
EmilSweden
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by SikhSipahi
Is there even a way to clean the nav screen without scratching the anti glare coating?? I've had the Anti Glare coating replaced on my IS a while ago. Well I decided to clean it today, because one of my friends touched it the other day thinking it was a touch screen. I used a lens cleaning cloth and guess what!! It's scratched again!!! It's so annoying that this thing gets scratched even with so much care.
How much did it cost for you to replace it?
Old 10-05-17, 10:27 AM
otakusan
Intermediate

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

ALL plastics are prone to scratches to a degree. One just has to understand why what the cause of scratching. If you use a very soft microfiber of some sort along with good lubrication (cleaner) theoretically it should not scratch right? but it still scratches... that's because there are fine solid partials of dust/sand that are stuck on the screen either from oil/moisture contents in the air or static. The key to cleaning screens or any soft interior plastics are to remove as much of these solids as possible before you make any physical contacts to them with a cleaning cloth... compressed air with vacuum is a very effective way of doing so.

Just imagine, you wouldn't just wet a car wash towel and wipe your car body clean would you? no, you soak and wash away all the larger dirt particles first with pre-soak, and rinse first right? same idea

Once you got the screen cleaned, consider a screen protector film just like people do with cell phones, if that gets scratched, just replace the film for a few dollars instead of a screen that's wroth hundreds if not thousands
Old 10-05-17, 11:55 AM
SikhSipahi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by EmilSweden
How much did it cost for you to replace it?
I'm still under warranty, it's covered.
Old 10-06-17, 04:30 PM
dizlex
Intermediate

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by otakusan
ALL plastics are prone to scratches to a degree. One just has to understand why what the cause of scratching. If you use a very soft microfiber of some sort along with good lubrication (cleaner) theoretically it should not scratch right? but it still scratches... that's because there are fine solid partials of dust/sand that are stuck on the screen either from oil/moisture contents in the air or static. The key to cleaning screens or any soft interior plastics are to remove as much of these solids as possible before you make any physical contacts to them with a cleaning cloth... compressed air with vacuum is a very effective way of doing so.
Swiffer duster works good to remove dust and light dirt. After that, a moistened micro-fiber cloth, used gently, will safely clean-up anything that's been sneezed on there.