IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Biggest reason you got your Lexus?
Past experience with Lexus (repeat customer)
6.85%
Lexus reputation for reliability
32.88%
I like the design and features of the IS
46.58%
Owned other models, wanted to try something new
4.11%
Price was right -- good deal/value
9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

What was the biggest reason you chose the Lexus IS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-17, 09:24 PM
gregerst
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Styling of the 3rd gen IS was the main reason for me next was Lexus reputation for reliability.
Old 08-04-17, 11:26 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

When I was looking for a new car I want one that was under 185 inches long, AWD, and a normally aspirated engine over 300hp. The IS was the only car that fit those requirements and the Lexus reliability was the icing on the cake.
Old 08-05-17, 09:27 AM
sirwawa
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by theoryguy3
When I was looking for a new car I want one that was under 185 inches long, AWD, and a normally aspirated engine over 300hp. The IS was the only car that fit those requirements and the Lexus reliability was the icing on the cake.
I had very similar requirements... wow. I wanted a car no bigger than a first gen TSX and AWD.
Old 08-05-17, 10:13 AM
SikhSipahi
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Reliability and amazing new styling
Old 08-05-17, 11:58 AM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

i've always liked the looks of the IS especially the 3IS. timing (my vette was 10 yrs old and i wanted a change) led me to the 3IS. when lease is up i'll probably get another one.
Old 08-05-17, 12:12 PM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

i have (excellent) past lexus history, i know they are reliable, and i really liked how the car looks. i picked reliability because the prior experiences were also problem free mechanically speaking. my past lexuses also looked great. overall i'm happy with the marque.
Old 08-05-17, 03:59 PM
Olasek
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Combination of factors. I owned two Toyotas and they were super reliable. This time I wanted something luxurious and reliable. IS350, luxury package, Mark Levinson and flaxen interior was my immediate choice, love this combo. My only complain - I wish there were more exterior colors to chose from, I would actually prefer a non-metallic color but no black or white.

Last edited by Olasek; 08-05-17 at 04:07 PM.
Old 08-06-17, 07:31 AM
wftreg
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking for a nicer car and when at a Mazda dealer looking at a Lincoln when they showed me the IS250 Lexus with only 18,000 miles on it. Once in the vehicle and driving it around, I decided this was the car. My brother has a Lexus with 280,000 miles and says he has only had to change the breaks, windshield wipers and tires. I have had the car for six months now and am averaging over 26 mpg. No regrets!
Old 08-06-17, 10:30 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
These types of threads are interesting. I realize some people might have a combination of more than one of the listed reasons or maybe different reasons altogether for getting their Lexus IS, but what was the overwhelming one?
For me, reliability is nice and much appreciated but doesn't matter all that much because the car is a lease. I do like the design of my IS, but I like other designs as well.

For me, I'd choose "Try something different" as I've owned several BMWs in the past. And I also did get a good deal which is a close second. So those combined made me try it!
My combo is the following:
-Lexus/Toyota reliability
-Polarizing design
-Always wanted a luxury brand that wont break the bank (actually these cars are very low maintenance and one with basic mechanic skills can DIY most of the preventative maintenance)
-Increased interior volume
Old 08-06-17, 10:32 AM
GibbsLexus
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 40 Posts

Only gripe is I wish they fully utilized the screen area, and memory seating. However I understand this car is more for fun driving vs. luxury cruising.
Old 08-06-17, 11:32 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by GibbsLexus
Only gripe is I wish they fully utilized the screen area, and memory seating. However I understand this car is more for fun driving vs. luxury cruising.
current models utilize the entire screen area to display whatever you have chosen to display. lexus listened to the community and made the fix for the 2017+ models.
Old 08-06-17, 11:35 AM
BoDarville
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theoryguy3
you must own the previous generation then since there are several cars out there that fit those requirements
Old 08-06-17, 01:47 PM
theoryguy3
Intermediate

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BoDarville
you must own the previous generation then since there are several cars out there that fit those requirements
Not when you factor in the normally aspirated (non-turbo charged/supercharged) engine and the horsepower requirements. Additionally, most cars that meet both parameters are over 185 inches (the car needs to fit into tight Manhattan spots) or lack AWD. My friend is looking to purchase a car now, using the same parameters with the additional requirement of the car being able to stop for him in order to prevent an accident and the IS is the only one that fits the bill. If you do know of a vehicle that fits that description please let me know.

Last edited by theoryguy3; 08-06-17 at 02:00 PM.
Old 08-08-17, 07:16 AM
UTtrooper
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the design is ahead of its time, so that gives me confidence it will stand the test of time in regards to looks. I also wanted a sporty looking luxury sedan which is why I chose the blue F sport with red interior.
Old 08-08-17, 03:56 PM
jameshan
Pole Position

Received 44 Likes on 31 Posts

Coming from a 2015 Honda Accord Sport, I definitely wanted a smaller car. I thought the IS was the perfect balance of sport and luxury. Imo it's the best looking entry level luxury car and I really love the tach and taillights. Only thing that kills me is the engine...pos and wastes gas.

Quick Reply: What was the biggest reason you chose the Lexus IS?