IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models
View Poll Results: Biggest reason you got your Lexus?
Past experience with Lexus (repeat customer)
6.85%
Lexus reputation for reliability
32.88%
I like the design and features of the IS
46.58%
Owned other models, wanted to try something new
4.11%
Price was right -- good deal/value
9.59%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

What was the biggest reason you chose the Lexus IS?

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-17, 03:51 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,155 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Default What was the biggest reason you chose the Lexus IS?

These types of threads are interesting. I realize some people might have a combination of more than one of the listed reasons or maybe different reasons altogether for getting their Lexus IS, but what was the overwhelming one?
For me, reliability is nice and much appreciated but doesn't matter all that much because the car is a lease. I do like the design of my IS, but I like other designs as well.

For me, I'd choose "Try something different" as I've owned several BMWs in the past. And I also did get a good deal which is a close second. So those combined made me try it!
Old 08-03-17, 04:18 PM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Ride and handling for me. The car has a perfect compromise between ride quality vs handling vs steering feel. Plus the car looks awesome
Old 08-03-17, 05:38 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

The biggest reason for me was the reliability. But the interior impressed me a lot. It's so much nicer than any of the German cars in quality and feel that it made me go to the dealer and actually consider buying one. The ride and power delivery was impressive too. Not as powerful as some of its German rivals but for a daily, I don't need 400hp.
Old 08-03-17, 05:55 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

the look of this car is what drew me to it initially, remember seeing one on the road when it was new and I automatically said this would be my next car.

When I went car shopping I compared this to the BMW 3 series and decided to get what I really wanted, the IS. The IS looks WAY better than the F30, interior looks nicer, f-sport seats are much more comfortable and the IS isn't seen everywhere (everyone and their mom has a 3 series these days), and of course much more reliable!

Easy decision at the end.
Old 08-03-17, 07:30 PM
1Louder
Intermediate

Received 103 Likes on 71 Posts

For me it was the combination of the design (looks)/features (handling, interior) and the reputation for reliability. A lot of cars had one or the other - I found few with both.

I drove Acuras for the previous 10 years (TSX, TLX), but had a miserable experience with the TLX so maybe add "try another brand" to the list.

I'm pretty sold on Lexus at this point. If my IS treats me well, I may be driving Lexus for a long, long time.
Old 08-03-17, 08:26 PM
EXE46
Lead Lap

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Being the better drivers car than a 3er was my main reason followed by the styling; reliability is of no concern on a lease to me.
Old 08-03-17, 09:28 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

• Test drove Audi, BMW, Benz, but STILL not sold on maintenance nightmares, or lack thereof.
  • BMW 3-series still feels "ho hum drum - been there - done that" and couldn't justify the price of a 5-series.
  • Also considered SUVs, trucks, and other high rated & reliable brands like Acura, Honda, Mazda, Toyota, etc.
  • IS350 FSport RWD with 18" wheels & AVS feels way better and you can blast Mark Levinson without sounding tinny.
  • Own a GS300 which after MANY YEARS of abuse, and several cross country trips, is still going solid & strong. KNOCK ON WOOD *knock* *knock* *knock*
  • 2nd choice was 4th generation GS350 but wanted something lighter, more agile, aggressive, sporty looking, younger feel. etc.
  • Got comped a new pair of tires ($400), and Lexus car cover ($200), which in my head decreases total OTD price.
  • Two sales guys from Orange County (same dealership for the GS) drove 50 miles to West LA to drop it off, complete paperwork, and stuck around for several rounds of drinks (one hour to get here, two hours hangin out, one hour to get back), which IMO is not too shabby service.
  • Hotrodding around all over the place... Right now, HOPING that IS350 LASTS and goes strong as long as GS's. KNOCK ON WOOD *knock* *knock* *knock*
  • Any comments, opinions, thoughts, on the latter point directly above??

Last edited by LaZeR; 08-03-17 at 10:15 PM.
Old 08-03-17, 09:53 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

because the new C Class was not yet released when i needed a car. and the IS was the best looking at that time
Old 08-03-17, 09:59 PM
nathantse
Lexus Test Driver

Received 60 Likes on 55 Posts

If the Audi S3, didn't have a plain center dash.. I would had gotten it. The sliding up and down NAV screen was a turn off for me. Sht gonna break in like a few years.

Went with the IS, cause interior wise looks the best in its class. Reliable, and its a pretty bold looking car.
Old 08-03-17, 10:13 PM
Jesse23
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price is manageable
Powerful enough for my use
Reliability
Anyway, it's a Lexus!
Old 08-03-17, 11:11 PM
JonHT
Driver

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
Talking

I come from the Notorious Acura ZDX.

Was looking for something more fuel efficient, therefore, went ahead with TLX since I already liked Acuras. I told myself that I should be more opened, and remembered the sharp and bold new style of Lexus, especially the IS.
Tried one and was more than impressed with the interior and "feel". It was exactly what I was searching for, the cockpit feel like my ZDX gave me (even though it's an SUV).
Let's also mention the details in both interior and ext, Acura didn't give me that. The biggest thing that Acura gave me, was the numerous Gadgets and tech advancement with the low price point.
Reliability came in after as I was debating between TLX and IS.

Finally, dealers couldn't take me on no more, so salesman from Lexus gave me a killer deal to fend off Acura competition LOL

PS, missing my Acura ZDX, dang it felt special, so rare...but IS is still rare here too in MTL
Old 08-04-17, 04:29 AM
doodlebug
Instructor

Received 80 Likes on 71 Posts

We went to the dealership just to look at the IS because I had seen one on the road and was intriqued. I had no intention on buying a car, any car.
There was an IS350 F Sport sitting out front. It happened to be NGP (I'm a sucker for dark gray).
I decided to test drive it.......fell in love with how comfortable the seat was, the handling, the interior, etc....
I left that day driving a new Lexus.

We couldn't even get in the house when we got home because I didn't take my garage door opener and didn't have my house keys on me for some reason.

Last edited by doodlebug; 08-04-17 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-04-17, 09:59 AM
Noeh
Advanced

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Fits what I was looking for in terms of reliability, ride, and design.
Old 08-04-17, 12:34 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,721 Likes on 1,894 Posts

Originally Posted by doodlebug
I went to the dealership just to look at the IS because I had seen one on the road and was intriqued. I had no intention on buying a car, any car.
There was an IS350 F Sport sitting out front. It happened to be NGP (I'm a sucker for dark gray).
I decided to test drive it.......fell in love with how comfortable the seat was, the handling, the interior, etc....
I left that day driving a new Lexus.

I couldn't even get in the house when we got home because I didn't take my garage door opener and didn't have my house keys on me for some reason.
Sounds oddly similar to my story. I was just in the neighborhood getting service done on my Camry, next door to the Lexus dealer. I happened to walk over just because I was curious was the dealership was like and was sort of waffling on how much longer I wanted to keep the Camry. I had seen the IS online in pictures, but in person I was impressed more. Took a peek at the red interior - impressed again. I was very close to just walking away, but a sales guy stopped me and asked if I wanted to take a look. Test drove it, went home and deliberated with my now wife, and came back the very next weekend and did a second test drive, after also taking a look at the BMW 3 series and the MB C-Class. After that, I decided. It sort of happened randomly, even though I knew I wanted a new car - but the catalyst for it was just started by chance. I was planning to wait till my Camry's lease was up, which would have been over a year later!

Compared to the other cars, the IS just felt like a more substantial car - better put-together. The steering also was more pleasing to me - not light or fake, but also not heavy. Heavier than most cars, but still easy to drive. I also liked the NA V6 option. I wanted to go all out with the IS 350, but it was hard to justify, since the IS 300 is very close to the 350 AWD in terms of overall capability. Next time though, if I come back for another IS, I will not skimp on that aspect. I have grown to appreciate good power. In addition to those things, the IS is more unique in my area - there are lots of 3-series and C-class cars rolling around, only the occasional IS. So, it wasn't too difficult a decision.
Old 08-04-17, 01:31 PM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by LaZeR
  • Test drove Audi, BMW, Benz, but STILL not sold on maintenance nightmares, or lack thereof.
  • BMW 3-series still feels "ho hum drum - been there - done that" and couldn't justify the price of a 5-series.
  • Also considered SUVs, trucks, and other high rated & reliable brands like Acura, Honda, Mazda, Toyota, etc.
  • IS350 FSport RWD with 18" wheels & AVS feels way better and you can blast Mark Levinson without sounding tinny.
  • Own a GS300 which after MANY YEARS of abuse, and several cross country trips, is still going solid & strong. KNOCK ON WOOD *knock* *knock* *knock*
  • 2nd choice was 4th generation GS350 but wanted something lighter, more agile, aggressive, sporty looking, younger feel. etc.
  • Got comped a new pair of tires ($400), and Lexus car cover ($200), which in my head decreases total OTD price.
  • Two sales guys from Orange County (same dealership for the GS) drove 50 miles to West LA to drop it off, complete paperwork, and stuck around for several rounds of drinks (one hour to get here, two hours hangin out, one hour to get back), which IMO is not too shabby service.
  • Hotrodding around all over the place... Right now, HOPING that IS350 LASTS and goes strong as long as GS's. KNOCK ON WOOD *knock* *knock* *knock*
  • Any comments, opinions, thoughts, on the latter point directly above??
Your sales guys were literally going the "extra miles"....

Quick Reply: What was the biggest reason you chose the Lexus IS?