IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Dash cam, suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-17, 10:13 AM
bmwlexus09
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was looking at blackvue front and back cams with battery packs. But limitations on the battery packs was you need to drive around almost daily to allow the battery packs to recharge. Otherwise you have to take battery packs out and charge in the house every other day. Reason why the battery packs needs to be recharged so often is because I want the cams to be on when the car is parked. So if the cam senses motion, it starts recording. Can someone share their experiences with parking mode recording and battery packs?
Old 08-12-17, 07:18 PM
Stevent
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bmwlexus09
I was looking at blackvue front and back cams with battery packs. But limitations on the battery packs was you need to drive around almost daily to allow the battery packs to recharge. Otherwise you have to take battery packs out and charge in the house every other day. Reason why the battery packs needs to be recharged so often is because I want the cams to be on when the car is parked. So if the cam senses motion, it starts recording. Can someone share their experiences with parking mode recording and battery packs?
you should be able to hard wire the camera to the car's fusebox with one of the accessories they sell. From there when you park the camera should stay on and record when you park and will shut off the camera when your car battery gets too low so you don't end up with a dead car. I don't think you want battery packs in the car since the heat will eventually case the battery to deteriorate faster and become useless.
Old 08-13-17, 01:15 AM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

I was running a Blacksys CH100-B (front and rear camera without gps) that I got from blackboxmycar, it was a 2 channel setup, and I got the hardwiring kit. I had 2 wires paired with a add-a-fuse, that let me tap into the fusebox in the cabin above the gas pedal area. They were tapped into my Hazard lights fuse, and my ACC Fuse, and the dashcamera only turned on when the car was running.
I then added the CellLink Battery B because I wanted to run Parking Mode Recording, which I only had to run 1 fuse tap, which was for the Accessory, or whatever will be on only when the car is running, and from the battery unit itself, i then spliced the pre-existing hardwiring kit into the CellLink battery output.

To note, on my sisters corolla which has the same setup, the only fuse tap I had to use was for the Cellink Battery B. The dashcam (same model) uses it's pre-existing cigarette 12v plug which goes to an adapter the Battery has (12v cigarette plug receptacle).

This is a costly setup, and I'm sure there's cheaper options out there. I think the Blacksys CH100B is a cheaper option than the Blackvue.

I could have ran the parking mode recording without the Cell Link battery B because the DashCam itself has a "battery voltage detector" that will shutoff the unit when the car battery reaches a certain low (you set it through the app), but I chose to just run it off the battery pack (which you have to set it up differently, but completely do able through the app)
Old 08-13-17, 08:52 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

I have the Anker Roav Dashcam. They are fairly new to the automotive world but they make excellent car charger adapters. I actually have two right now. One in my GS and one in my IS. 1080p recording, gravity\parking sensor, wifi to download contents and install firmware updates, and all the standard features that you find in most dash cams. This does not have GPS, motion sensor or a provision for adding a rear cam. I would say it's pretty stealthy in the IS, mainly because I have the body attached to the dotted area on the windshield and the camera below the dotted area (pics attached). I could have moved it up a bit more to make it a bit less obvious.

I've run the cables down the a-pillar, under the glovebox, under the center console, into the center console storage area and used the provided adapter to power it up and recharge the internal battery. Overall, it was miles better than the Garmin dash cam I had.
Attached Thumbnails Dash cam, suggestions?-2017-05-20-18.26.32.jpg   Dash cam, suggestions?-2017-05-20-18.29.06.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Lex_Giorgio (08-13-17)
Old 08-15-17, 09:13 AM
Stevent
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amazon and BHPhotoVideo are having a sale on the blackvue 2 channel camera today. I ordered from BH to save on taxes. Keep in mind it does not come with the hardwiring kit so you would have u would have to order it separately which is about 20 dollars.

https://slickdeals.net/f/10465512-blackvue-new-dr650s-2ch-w-16gb-supports-up-to-128-front-and-rear-dashcam-249-for-amazon-prime-members

Last edited by Stevent; 08-15-17 at 09:18 AM.
Old 08-16-17, 12:50 AM
itsx
Intermediate

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

just gonna leave this here.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/blacksy...ch-dash-camera
Old 08-16-17, 06:14 PM
LaZeR
Advanced

Received 43 Likes on 37 Posts

Got this for the IS350 Got this for the IS350
and
this with integrated Rear Cam for the GS300 this with integrated Rear Cam for the GS300
and also a
Suction Cup Mount Suction Cup Mount

Didn't hardwire anything so some wiring is exposed but the rest of the wiring is stuck underneath and along the panels .

Be sure to get a HIGH ENDURANCE SD Card.

Both seem to be sufficient & satisfactory. THANKS!!

Last edited by LaZeR; 08-16-17 at 07:01 PM.