IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

A tire question (flat tires aren't fun)

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-17, 06:26 AM
elvis14
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default A tire question (flat tires aren't fun)

Hope you guys don't mind yet another tire thread but I've only had my '14 IS350 F-Sport for a about 6 weeks and could use some help.

Whoever had my car before put really cheap tires on her (Velozza ZXV4). I figured I'd go with them until they were worn out and upgrade. It's not going to work out that way, however, since something sliced one of my rear tires last night. I tried to plug it but it was a slice and not a puncture. So it looks like I'll be buying tires for my car, which is 100% stock, BTW.

With my S2000, I had staggered sizes and the rear tires wore out twice as fast as the fronts (could be my driving made this even worse). So when I replaced the tires I just did 2 at a time. The car came with Conti Extreme Contact DW tires and I just stuck with those (I only put 17k on the car in 5 years, it wasn't my daily driver, my Taco was). With my IS350 also having a staggered setup is it OK/normal to replace tires 2 at a time like I did with my S2000? Do the rears wear faster than the fronts? I'll likely keep the car stock for a while, so I'm assuming I should just stick with the stock size. Is that a good assumption.

And....yes, I'll take any recommendations on brands, etc. if you don't mind adding that information.

Thanks

p.s. - for anyone in or around Raleigh, my tire went flat when I was in the left turn lane trying to get into the WRAL soccer complex at 6pm...if you or your kids train/play there you can guess how much that sucked!
Old 09-01-17, 08:22 AM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Originally Posted by elvis14
Hope you guys don't mind yet another tire thread but I've only had my '14 IS350 F-Sport for a about 6 weeks and could use some help.

Whoever had my car before put really cheap tires on her (Velozza ZXV4). I figured I'd go with them until they were worn out and upgrade. It's not going to work out that way, however, since something sliced one of my rear tires last night. I tried to plug it but it was a slice and not a puncture. So it looks like I'll be buying tires for my car, which is 100% stock, BTW.

With my S2000, I had staggered sizes and the rear tires wore out twice as fast as the fronts (could be my driving made this even worse). So when I replaced the tires I just did 2 at a time. The car came with Conti Extreme Contact DW tires and I just stuck with those (I only put 17k on the car in 5 years, it wasn't my daily driver, my Taco was). With my IS350 also having a staggered setup is it OK/normal to replace tires 2 at a time like I did with my S2000? Do the rears wear faster than the fronts? I'll likely keep the car stock for a while, so I'm assuming I should just stick with the stock size. Is that a good assumption.

And....yes, I'll take any recommendations on brands, etc. if you don't mind adding that information.

Thanks

p.s. - for anyone in or around Raleigh, my tire went flat when I was in the left turn lane trying to get into the WRAL soccer complex at 6pm...if you or your kids train/play there you can guess how much that sucked!
Hi Elvis...welcome!

Quick answer to your questions...yes you can just replace the rear tires if that is all that is needed...stick with the stock size.
I would suggest to pick a brand that also makes the stock size for the front, so when you change them, you will have a matching set now. Many brands will carry both front and rear sizes, so should be fairly easy to pick one.
Michelin or Conti are both great choices for quality tires.
There is a thread somewhere on here with what folks use for tires, and I think Conti and Michelin are the vast majority.

Depending on alignment, tire pressure, and driving style, will really depend on what wears faster. For you, I'm going to guesstimate that you will be wearing out more rears than fronts...lol!!
The following users liked this post:
elvis14 (09-01-17)
Old 09-01-17, 08:33 AM
elvis14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
Hi Elvis...welcome!

Quick answer to your questions...yes you can just replace the rear tires if that is all that is needed...stick with the stock size.
I would suggest to pick a brand that also makes the stock size for the front, so when you change them, you will have a matching set now. Many brands will carry both front and rear sizes, so should be fairly easy to pick one.
Michelin or Conti are both great choices for quality tires.
There is a thread somewhere on here with what folks use for tires, and I think Conti and Michelin are the vast majority.

Depending on alignment, tire pressure, and driving style, will really depend on what wears faster. For you, I'm going to guesstimate that you will be wearing out more rears than fronts...lol!!
Thanks Sasnuke. I have gotten no work done today as I search around Club Lexus and try to educate myself. My local Discount Tire has 2 Michelin Pilot A/S3+ in stock and could get me the Pilot SS by Tuesday (I can drive my Tacoma until Tuesday). As I've read through posts this morning both the A/S3+ and PSS get lots of great feedback as do the Conti's which I've been running on my S2000 for the last 5 years (sold the S2000 to buy the IS350). I'm thinking I should just grab the A/S3+ tires...at this point. I'm going to go think about it over lunch and make up my mind. Love the "OMG they are so sticky" feedback on the PSS but I've also seen the occasional "they suck in rain" and "they really suck on cold roads" too.
Old 09-01-17, 11:07 AM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,181 Likes on 1,636 Posts

You can do two at a time. Go with big factory corporate names and you'll do well!
The following users liked this post:
elvis14 (09-01-17)
Old 09-01-17, 11:19 AM
elvis14
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by E46CT
You can do two at a time. Go with big factory corporate names and you'll do well!
Thanks. I'm at Discount Tire now waiting to have 2 Michelin A/S3+ installed.

Ironically I was reading your $60 Brake Pad thread just now when you replied. Thanks for that too, it'll come in handy one day!