IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Buying guide is 300h

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17 | 04:57 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by E46CT
I would love if Lexus offered the hybrid IS here.
it's a bit anemic to drive, really. that, and its ICE always sounds like it's overstrained.
Old 09-13-17 | 05:31 AM
GreekPanda
Driver School Candidate

so will the battery/hybrid deplete if u drive normally to work? i got like 15km to work and 15km back home. will i have battery problems? any other cars iv driven didnt have any battery issue at those ranges, i cant find anything on the net about lexus going slowly because of depleted battery.
Old 09-13-17 | 05:32 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Originally Posted by GreekPanda
so will the battery/hybrid deplete if u drive normally to work? i got like 15km to work and 15km back home. will i have battery problems? any other cars iv driven didnt have any battery issue at those ranges, i cant find anything on the net about lexus going slowly because of depleted battery.
you'll be fine on a 15 km one-way commute.

the car isn't going to die because the hybrid system is strained and the system won't be strained on a 30km roundtrip commute. you'll just notice less power available.
Old 09-13-17 | 05:45 AM
GreekPanda
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davyjordi
you'll be fine on a 15 km one-way commute.

the car isn't going to die because the hybrid system is strained and the system won't be strained on a 30km roundtrip commute. you'll just notice less power available.
my job is planning on moving a little further away anyway by april month they say, so suppose i will have to travel a bit longer^^
Old 09-13-17 | 07:15 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

my job is planning on moving a little further away anyway by april month they say, so suppose i will have to travel a bit longer^^
you'll be fine. it's not an electric car with specific range. if you run low on petrol, just fill up at the next station.
Old 09-13-17 | 07:25 AM
GreekPanda
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by davyjordi
you'll be fine. it's not an electric car with specific range. if you run low on petrol, just fill up at the next station.
just have to wait for an F sport to arrive near me and ill grab one^^ F sport looks really nice, too bad there are very few of them here where i live. seems like everybody in this forum has f sport^^ and also 350.
Old 09-13-17 | 07:37 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

just have to wait for an F sport to arrive near me and ill grab one^^ F sport looks really nice, too bad there are very few of them here where i live. seems like everybody in this forum has f sport^^ and also 350.
because it's an enthusiast forum, but real-life sales reflect more 200t and 250 models being sold.
Old 09-20-17 | 12:43 PM
GreekPanda
Driver School Candidate

test drove a black is 300h today and was dissapointed by how much road noise/tire noise it had, bridgestone turanzas at front and michelins at back, are the bridgestones that bad? are they making such a racket? or is the car just noisy with any tire set?? anyone knows?
Old 09-20-17 | 05:01 PM
webra
Pole Position

The IS is not tire noise quiet. It’s quite sensitive to road surfaces. This is one of the main distinguishing characteristics between it and the GS.
Old 09-21-17 | 05:21 AM
Raghza
Pit Crew

I also considered a 300h briefly, but what put me down were the CVT transmission that, for me, feels terrible and also the long-term reliability of the hybrid components. The regular extended warranty doesn't cover it and I would have needed to get an additional warranty for the hybrid components. At least that's how it is in Estonia.
So I ended up getting a 2014 IS 250 F Sport, also coming from a lot of BMWs. I was actually surprised how quiet this car is. Yes, you get some tire noise on rough surfaces, but most of the time it's really quiet.
There are some things you will be annoyed with, coming from a BMW. But the reliability, the great looks and the overall feel will make up for it. Get the hybrid, if it has a warranty or you really need the fuel mileage to be as low as possible. Otherwise, just get the 250 - it's not fast but it has a cool exhaust note. Wait up for the F Sport tho.
Old 09-21-17 | 08:02 AM
webra
Pole Position

After 3 years of ownership I feel that the ecvt is ok so long as the car doesn’t pretend to be a sports sedan.
Old 09-21-17 | 08:06 AM
GreekPanda
Driver School Candidate

too bad i really dont like the styling of the GS otherwise i would have checked it out more, i like the is styling, i see that its weak against bad roads, it gets noisy when entering bad or wornout roads, when i was driving on smoother surfaces it was very quiet. the 250 feels old to me, plus it has carbon buildup problems, the 300h is the future with hybrid tech, dunno why poeple dont like the cvt, i think its awesome. Its very fast, dunno why poeple complain. i dont think u can do burnouts and drift in non rainy/snowy days but maybe on snow u can drift and do donuts. Yes im tired of german cars/other cars, allways something needing replacing, i hope lexus is much more reliable. The fsport is cool but too expensive here where i live, ill see what comes first, though the non f sport also looks great.
Old 09-21-17 | 11:10 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

You get so much more car with the F Sport package that for me it was a no brainer.
Also the carbon buildup issue was fixed after around 2011 I think.
I would advise you try one IS 250 F Sport and go from there. I really like the car and since in the EU we only got the 250 and 300h, the 250 was the best choice for me.
Old 09-23-17 | 02:15 PM
GreekPanda
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Raghza
You get so much more car with the F Sport package that for me it was a no brainer.
Also the carbon buildup issue was fixed after around 2011 I think.
I would advise you try one IS 250 F Sport and go from there. I really like the car and since in the EU we only got the 250 and 300h, the 250 was the best choice for me.

F sport is rare in sweden so i dont think ill see one here. 250 engine is also kinda rare, u only see the hybrid here which is very fast indeed anyway, no need for old heavy petrol engine where u can get the future hybrid tech. Costs less to own and is less thirsty than a big old v6. For me hybrid is the future. i dunno if they fixed the carbon thingy on 250 are u sure? but anyway the only issue i have is the road/cabin noise of the is, coming from an e39 i think the bimmer is quiet. would winter tires be less noisy than the summer tires? or what summer tires should i get? that are absolutely super quiet.
Old 09-24-17 | 11:31 PM
Raghza
Pit Crew

F sport is rare in sweden so i dont think ill see one here. 250 engine is also kinda rare, u only see the hybrid here which is very fast indeed anyway, no need for old heavy petrol engine where u can get the future hybrid tech. Costs less to own and is less thirsty than a big old v6. For me hybrid is the future. i dunno if they fixed the carbon thingy on 250 are u sure? but anyway the only issue i have is the road/cabin noise of the is, coming from an e39 i think the bimmer is quiet. would winter tires be less noisy than the summer tires? or what summer tires should i get? that are absolutely super quiet.
Yes, the carbon buildup is fixed, based on what I've read.
It's strange that the IS 250 is not common in Sweden, since I always thought that the Estonian and Swedish used car market is very similar.
I did a quick search on AutoUncle.se and found 5-6 F Sports - check them out

Quick Reply: Buying guide is 300h