IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Rusting proofing

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-17, 08:39 PM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Rusting proofing

So I stopped by the local Lexus dealer today to enquire about a possible recall on my '14 is350 awd regarding the rear wheels wells rusting out, and sure enough mine is on the list. So I'll book that in for next Monday. Does anyone know exactly what they do to fix this?
Now as we're chatting I mentioned that after i get this recall done that I'll plan to go get it oil sprayed at Krown and the guy told me to stay away from any type of aftermarket oil spray as it destroys the factory bushings, seals, harnesses etc and that it will void the factory warranty.
Is this true? I've always got my previous cars done but this will be the first Lexus I'll want to oil spray as my previous models I've kept garaged over winter months.
Please advise, thanks!
Old 09-18-17, 10:03 PM
Lveyolfe
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

To my knowledge, most lexus' effected by this recall are the ones who live wear the roads are heavily salted like Chicago. And I believe they use some sort of anti rust spray. Shouldn't take no more then 15-30 minutes. Luckily I didn't have the issue, I live in Seattle
Old 09-19-17, 05:28 AM
john55657
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ISFLexy
So I stopped by the local Lexus dealer today to enquire about a possible recall on my '14 is350 awd regarding the rear wheels wells rusting out, and sure enough mine is on the list. So I'll book that in for next Monday. Does anyone know exactly what they do to fix this?
Now as we're chatting I mentioned that after i get this recall done that I'll plan to go get it oil sprayed at Krown and the guy told me to stay away from any type of aftermarket oil spray as it destroys the factory bushings, seals, harnesses etc and that it will void the factory warranty.
Is this true? I've always got my previous cars done but this will be the first Lexus I'll want to oil spray as my previous models I've kept garaged over winter months.
Please advise, thanks!
I will spray mine this year. I don't see why it would void the warranty. I mean, if the muffler falls on the ground, I doubt they could blame it on the oil spray lol.

BTW, Krown actually offers a warranty themselves, maybe look into that?
Old 09-19-17, 08:25 AM
Sybaritic
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

We already have an ongoing discussion on this topic. See here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...corrosion.html

Dealers don't recommend you oil spray the car, so I will wait until my bumper to bumper warranty ends before rust-proofing it. I believe in rustproofing given our harsh climates.
Old 09-19-17, 08:47 AM
brendanf
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 94 Posts

It actually states in the owners manual to NOT bother with rust proofing. They recommend that you hose off the underside of the car once a month and that's it.

The cars are tanked at the factory and do not need further treatment. If you want to do it for peace of mind, go ahead I can't see any harm coming from it. Just make sure they don't drill any unnecessary holes.
Old 09-19-17, 01:45 PM
Panzer126
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm also wondering about the rust proofing, I've seen the car on a hoist and it seems to be pointless as most things are covered up. A good hose down when you wash the car should be good enough, and also I don't think I've seen many rusted lexus on the roads since coming to Canada 10~ years ago. Mazdas all the time, but rarely any lexus. Anybody with more knowledge care to chime in?
Old 09-19-17, 03:36 PM
ISFLexy
Intermediate

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Thanks for replying guys, i have made the appointment for monday morning at Lexus to take care of the recall, and hopefully no rust has started and all they have to do is spray the undercoating. I feel bad for the person that got their IS taken all apart, i'd be disappointed too but at the same time you are getting whole new sheetmetal and lexus is performing the work which would be guaranteed.

As for oil spraying, i'm on the fence, its true as some have stated, the underbody is so covered up with plastic panels, and you rarely see any lexus's rusty, although every IS300 i see has rust around here! I'll ask Krown how their warranty works against rust and go from there if its work $120ish.
Old 09-19-17, 04:48 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,370 Posts

Just to throw my 2 cents in as I used to work for Rust Check, many moons ago. And at one time Krown and Rust Check we the same company.
Typically the warranty they offer is given when you do the vehicle from new...after a certain amount of years has passed since the vehicle was new, they will not give the warranty since it could have started rusting already.
As for the recall, it has nothing to do with climate, location, or anything else like that. As the rear fenders are factory rolled, there is sealer placed on the rolled edge to seal against moisture, etc.
As per the recall doc provided up above in the link by Sybaritic (post #4), the sealer was not properly applied to the rolled edge, and there can be gaps where water, etc. can get in. And could eventually lead to rust.
If there is a gap, the dealer will apply a wax spray inside the rolled edge of the fender, and seal all the gaps in the sealer. There is no undercoating that will be applied, it's the same sealer that's there, except it won't be body color.
If done properly, you'll never see any of this from outside the vehicle, you would literally have to stick your head in the wheel well, with the wheel removed, and a flashlight in hand.

The comment about the oil spray destroying stuff is partially accurate. On rubber components, like door seals, the oil spray causes the rubbers to swell. Typical reaction of a petroleum based product coming in contact with rubber.
This is why care needs to be taken to not spray the Krown on the rubber components of the suspension and any rubber seals.
It won't do anything to wiring harnesses or wires.
If you want to protect the door seals, etc. from the Krown spray, a liberal application of silicone spray is recommended. The silicone spray will treat the rubber and provide a layer of protection that will make it harder for the Krown to penetrate the rubber should some get on it.
Also wiping the seals periodically after you have the Krown applied will also help.
If you don't want to do the entire vehicle, speak to them about doing an underbody spray. They will spray the wheel wells and the entire undercarriage.
Keeping in mind that every location is different in terms of skill level, and the end result is only as good as the person applying it.

I would have recommended a shop in Toronto to take your vehicle to, but unfortunately my friend that owned and operated it retired earlier this year.
Aside from being the biggest Toyota fan ever, his workmanship was second to none...which is pretty hard to find these days.
He kept a photo diary of the various vehicles he did so that every vehicle of that model was done exactly the same way. He removed some factory panels to spray inside them as opposed to drilling unnecessary holes.
These are some of the key indicators to a good shop, rather than just swiss cheesing the car because it's easy.
Old 09-19-17, 09:01 PM
wforty94
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

does anybody have pictures of what Lexus actually does? like a before/after?
Old 09-19-17, 10:46 PM
computerwi
Advanced

Received 49 Likes on 35 Posts

Just got my campaign notice today.

@fivesevenn has posted the Canadian procedure here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/is-...ml#post9985200
The following users liked this post:
wforty94 (09-21-17)