IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

Oil

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-17, 08:43 PM
Kpro08
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Oil

Hey guys , just recently purchase 2014 Lexus IS350 f sport and I’m planing to do an oil change .What brand of oil do you guys recommend ?
Old 09-28-17, 02:50 AM
evident
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Pennzoil platinum/ ultra plat
Tgmo
Mobil 1
Old 09-28-17, 08:44 AM
RAMAIR
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Mobil 1 for me..
Old 09-28-17, 08:45 AM
Drawblood
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Kpro08
Hey guys , just recently purchase 2014 Lexus IS350 f sport and I’m planing to do an oil change .What brand of oil do you guys recommend ?
You'll probably get 100 different answers from 100 different people. I use Mobile 1 full synthetic.
If you're using a major brand (Mobil 1, Pennzoil, Quaker State) they've all done a significant amount of testing on their oils. Regardless of whom you use, be sure it's 100% synthetic!
Old 09-28-17, 10:55 AM
davyjordi
Pole Position

Received 174 Likes on 127 Posts

I also use mobil 1.
Old 09-28-17, 05:04 PM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Mobil 1 full synthetic
Old 09-30-17, 06:53 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I use whatever the dealer uses, or amsoil. I’ve used amsoil for years on my toy car. I don’t use Mobil 1 by choice. If that’s what the dealer uses, fine. But I won’t choose it. Even our Mobil 1 rep says it’s crap oil based on oil testing. I don’t remember the specifics of the conversation as this was several years ago. I don’t have any definitive proof or reason why I like one brand over the other, my butt dyno is all I have
Old 09-30-17, 09:06 AM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

I've been using Eneos oil for years on multiple vehicles with great results from Blackstone labs.

I used to use Mobil1 but the folks at bobtheoilguy show that it's not a true group IV oil. Even their fully synthetic oil is semi-synthetic .
Old 10-01-17, 05:25 AM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

Amsoil Signiture 0-w20, wix filters. If I plan to go more than 5k miles, I'll use an amsoil filter instead, but I almost always change by 3500.

A good filter is just as important as good oil...maybe even more so. Don't ever use those garbage fram filters. Amsoil, wix, royal purple...spend the extra $3. It's well worth it.

Last edited by Turismo; 10-01-17 at 05:31 AM.
Old 10-01-17, 10:15 AM
premier3IS
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by Turismo
Amsoil Signiture 0-w20, wix filters. If I plan to go more than 5k miles, I'll use an amsoil filter instead, but I almost always change by 3500.

A good filter is just as important as good oil...maybe even more so. Don't ever use those garbage fram filters. Amsoil, wix, royal purple...spend the extra $3. It's well worth it.
changing oil at 3500? tracking your vehicle or something?
Old 10-01-17, 10:41 AM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by premier3IS
changing oil at 3500? tracking your vehicle or something?
Cheap insurance 😉 lol...i don't race, but I am a "spirited" driver.. 😒

Way back when it was always 3000 recommended interval. I know oil has improved a lot since then, but I still just don't trust those longer service intervals...its all a bit of a scam imo by the environmentalist *****. I remember a year or so ago they were telling people that you don't need to warm up your car in the morning, it warms up as you drive, and talking about how much extra co2 is produced in the winter from the "outdated and unneeded" practice. Yea no thanks, imma keep letting my **** warm up for a few minutes.

Or maybe I'm just being old fashioned and stubborn.
Old 10-01-17, 11:05 AM
evident
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 91 Posts

Way back when it was always 3000 recommended interval. I know oil has improved a lot since then, but I still just don't trust those longer service intervals...its all a bit of a scam imo by the environmentalist *****. I remember a year or so ago they were telling people that you don't need to warm up your car in the morning, it warms up as you drive, and talking about how much extra co2 is produced in the winter from the "outdated and unneeded" practice. Yea no thanks, imma keep letting my **** warm up for a few minutes.

I think that's a bad attitude. There are plenty of quantified oil analysis that back up longer oil change intervals. But hey if you think it's a enviro conspiracy then by all means feel free to spend more.
Old 10-01-17, 03:18 PM
Turismo
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by evident
I think that's a bad attitude. There are plenty of quantified oil analysis that back up longer oil change intervals. But hey if you think it's a enviro conspiracy then by all means feel free to spend more.
oh I will 😊
I'm nothing if not meticulous when it comes to car care. I've got 2 twin turbo 3000gts, a 1993 and a 1999, and my wife's daily driver is 13 years old now. All run like new vehicles, to which I credit my meticulous care.
Old 10-01-17, 04:50 PM
jkonquer
Instructor

Received 79 Likes on 64 Posts

Costco has Mobil 1 full synthetic on sale right now!

https://www.costco.com/Mobil-1-Advan...100169793.html
Old 10-01-17, 10:13 PM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

Haha, I’m glad I’m not the only crazy one here. I do pretty much the same thing. I do my oil changes at about the same as you, within a couple hundred miles, at 6000km, which is about 3700miles roughly. Sure it’ll cost me more, and I’ll have to do it more often, but it doesn’t hurt the car at all. These new service intervals are ridiculous, and don’t mention that it’s for normal climate. Parts of Canada is considered severe climate according to bmw and service intervals are recommended shorter, however the dealer would still recommend the once a year because bmw Canada doesn’t want to pay for more than that.

Because I like to service my vehicles myself, and quite frequently, I have installed a drain valve on my oil pan. Mines from a company called fumoto. There’s an identical one from ez drain. I’ve used this valve on several of my cars in the past with zero issues. No leaks or even a sweat. One thing I do want to add to my vehicle is a protective plate for the oil pan during the winter months. Just for debris, chunks of ice, etc.

Quick Reply: Oil