IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

When I remote start my car and it goes off automatically when I unlock the car...

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-17, 10:22 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Just tried this on my '16 IS 300, and it worked for me as well.
Old 10-02-17, 10:53 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
If you start my 2017 IS and you walk out of it with the key, while the car is running, it will show on the cluster that theirs no key in the car...
yup they all do, but you can still drive away with the car now that it is running with no key and the error message on the dash.. I've done it many times, left my wife without a key once when I drove, so I had her key, and then I exited the vehicle and she drove back home, no key.. she didn't notice the big yellow caution sign until she was almost home 30 miles away.. luckily the spare set was at the house..
Old 10-02-17, 01:15 PM
mcomer
Lead Lap

Received 851 Likes on 644 Posts

Dealership is mistaken, the 12 month trial will allow Remote Start from both the fob (three quick presses/hold the last until the marker lights flash)
and from the phone. If you choose not to renew the phone stops right away and the fob a week or so later.

The latest news is favorable, starting with all 2018 Lexus models, the Safety and Service Connect will be complimentary for 10 year rather than the
previous trial of 12 months that the 2010 - 2017 model years had. The optional services of Lexus Enform Remote and Destination Assistance are
still complimentary for 12 months but now can be renewed for $80/year rather than $249/year each or $160/year rather than $345/year for both.

Even better is the renewal for those 2010-2017 Safety Connect cars that once were $165/year are now only $80/year. Combining offers works out
to renew Safety Connect and Lexus Enform Remote Start on a 2016 - 2017 Lexus is now only $160, down from the $219.95 before Sept 21st 2017.
Old 10-02-17, 01:51 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer
Dealership is mistaken, the 12 month trial will allow Remote Start from both the fob (three quick presses/hold the last until the marker lights flash)
and from the phone. If you choose not to renew the phone stops right away and the fob a week or so later.

The latest news is favorable, starting with all 2018 Lexus models, the Safety and Service Connect will be complimentary for 10 year rather than the
previous trial of 12 months that the 2010 - 2017 model years had. The optional services of Lexus Enform Remote and Destination Assistance are
still complimentary for 12 months but now can be renewed for $80/year rather than $249/year each or $160/year rather than $345/year for both.

Even better is the renewal for those 2010-2017 Safety Connect cars that once were $165/year are now only $80/year. Combining offers works out
to renew Safety Connect and Lexus Enform Remote Start on a 2016 - 2017 Lexus is now only $160, down from the $219.95 before Sept 21st 2017.
That is good news. I was debating on cutting some of the features from my subscription, but this makes it easier to not do that... I am glad I waited till the last minute to think about renewing.
Old 10-02-17, 04:12 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by mcomer

I noticed this as well. Glad they went this route. I remember seeing the initial price when I had my enform subscription end back in 2015 and was floored by the price. Lexus probably saw that the demand just wasn't there at that price point.
Old 11-13-19, 04:52 PM
jafsport
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Rcf and just got the lexus enform remote. Does this damage the engine in any way? Kinda odd it has to turn on a second time everytime throughout the day
Old 11-13-19, 05:21 PM
Mewannalex
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think it would damage anything. Starters can take a beating the first few years.
Old 11-13-19, 07:54 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 181 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
All Toyota/Lexus remote start systems work this way, unfortunately, with no way to disable that "feature". Sort of silly, if you ask me.
Yeah, and when someone hacks your car/Lexus system, remote starts it and drives in it away, by using that feature, you would be the first one to proclaim that Lexus was stupid to implement such an obvious flaw in their security system.

Obviously, it was done for a reason. Even if someone can hack lexus and remote start your car, they will not be able to drive in it, because once they were to open the doors, the car would shut off. So, it would require an actual key-fob with an actual correct transmitter code in order to disable the immobilizer and to start the car with a person inside.

Seems like a very smart move on behalf of Lexus, if you ask me.
The following users liked this post:
Jazzrock (11-14-19)
Old 11-14-19, 01:19 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 459 Likes on 367 Posts

Originally Posted by sunamer
Yeah, and when someone hacks your car/Lexus system, remote starts it and drives in it away, by using that feature, you would be the first one to proclaim that Lexus was stupid to implement such an obvious flaw in their security system.

Obviously, it was done for a reason. Even if someone can hack lexus and remote start your car, they will not be able to drive in it, because once they were to open the doors, the car would shut off. So, it would require an actual key-fob with an actual correct transmitter code in order to disable the immobilizer and to start the car with a person inside.

Seems like a very smart move on behalf of Lexus, if you ask me.
I completely disagree, the car doors stay locked even after you remote start. The fact that once you unlock the car and open the door the engine shuts off is really annoying. The safety feature should just be that the doors stay locked and only unlock when you are actually next to the car. The odds of someone being able to jump into your car when you remote start and driving off is like 1% probably the same odds as someone actually just breaking into your car and hot wiring it not to mention what are the odds that you leave your car running on remote start the full allowed time (I think 15 minutes is the limit before it shuts off I can’t remember). Most probably go max 10 minutes if that, so that’s not much time for someone to be able to break into the car while it’s been remotely started.
Old 11-14-19, 06:12 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Originally Posted by Flash5
I completely disagree, the car doors stay locked even after you remote start. The fact that once you unlock the car and open the door the engine shuts off is really annoying. The safety feature should just be that the doors stay locked and only unlock when you are actually next to the car. The odds of someone being able to jump into your car when you remote start and driving off is like 1% probably the same odds as someone actually just breaking into your car and hot wiring it not to mention what are the odds that you leave your car running on remote start the full allowed time (I think 15 minutes is the limit before it shuts off I can’t remember). Most probably go max 10 minutes if that, so that’s not much time for someone to be able to break into the car while it’s been remotely started.
if you can remote start it, you can remote unlock the doors. It is part of the same “package”, just a different code of operation, AFAIK. It is the same type of convenience that lexus provides within the same remote system.

Hot wiring the car with an immobilizer? I don't think you know how modern cars work. Hot wiring is impossible, because the ECU computer will not start the car if the responding code from the key/fob is not present. Your phone or hacked system does not carry that code, which is why Lexus made it so that it validates that code, by needing your actual keyfob to restart the car.

it would be very easy to steal a car, if lexus allowed you to open the doors without shutting off a remotely started engine.
1. Hack the Lexus online based system and send two commands - start the engine and unlock the doors remotely.
2. Approach the vehicle, open the door (engine does not shut off), get in, and start driving.

Actual chances are irrelevant, what is relevant is is it possible to do that or not. If it is and is relatively easy - it is a bad design.

also, what you are missing is that it is not that someone will randomly use that as an opportunity. Rather, an adversary ail hack the system and use it as the means of stealing. It would be a lot easier to do than to obtain codes for the immobilizer... (which anyway became easier to do with the key fobs)

Last edited by sunamer; 11-14-19 at 08:36 AM.
Jazzrock (11-14-19)
Old 11-14-19, 12:10 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sunamer
if you can remote start it, you can remote unlock the doors. It is part of the same “package”, just a different code of operation, AFAIK. It is the same type of convenience that lexus provides within the same remote system.

Hot wiring the car with an immobilizer? I don't think you know how modern cars work. Hot wiring is impossible, because the ECU computer will not start the car if the responding code from the key/fob is not present. Your phone or hacked system does not carry that code, which is why Lexus made it so that it validates that code, by needing your actual keyfob to restart the car.

it would be very easy to steal a car, if lexus allowed you to open the doors without shutting off a remotely started engine.
1. Hack the Lexus online based system and send two commands - start the engine and unlock the doors remotely.
2. Approach the vehicle, open the door (engine does not shut off), get in, and start driving.

Actual chances are irrelevant, what is relevant is is it possible to do that or not. If it is and is relatively easy - it is a bad design.

also, what you are missing is that it is not that someone will randomly use that as an opportunity. Rather, an adversary ail hack the system and use it as the means of stealing. It would be a lot easier to do than to obtain codes for the immobilizer... (which anyway became easier to do with the key fobs)
That’s why I said the odds are almost none because you can’t hot wire modern cars. You’re saying that someone could hack the system but if they are going to do that then they can also hijack the key fob signal as well. Point being the odds of any of that happening is slim. The fact is that on a day to day basis using remote start to start the car and the doors staying locked until you approach the car is more than enough to keep your vehicle safe. There is no need to have the engine cut off when you open the door. Bottom line is this, plenty of other auto manufacturers do not make the engine cut off when the car has been remotely started and the door is opened. I have yet to hear widespread complaints of cars being stolen because of it. So there is no excuse for Lexus.
MARINA17 (12-06-19)
Old 11-14-19, 12:28 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 198 Likes on 155 Posts

I've been watching Scotty Kilmer's YouTube videos recently. What a character! He talks about people stealing cars by the above method. I'd rather there be no chance of it happening, so I thank Lexus.
Old 11-14-19, 12:29 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jazzrock
I've been watching Scotty Kilmer's YouTube videos recently. What a character! He talks about people stealing cars by the above method. I'd rather there be no chance of it happening, so I thank Lexus.
If you payed attention to Scotty you’d know that someone can in fact hijack the signal from your key fob on our Lexus’s lol.
Jazzrock (11-14-19)
Old 11-14-19, 12:44 PM
Jazzrock
Advanced

Received 198 Likes on 155 Posts
Thumbs up

If you payed attention to Scotty you’d know that someone can in fact hijack the signal from your key fob on our Lexus’s lol.
Yes indeed!
I love watching his crazy videos. Not knowing more than the basics about cars, I do learn quite a bit.
Some of it is just for fun certainly. Interesting he almost got his PhD, and decided being a professor wasn't
for him, so went back to fixing cars. Seems to have worked out well for Scotty.
Old 11-14-19, 01:58 PM
sunamer
Advanced

That’s why I said the odds are almost none because you can’t hot wire modern cars. You’re saying that someone could hack the system but if they are going to do that then they can also hijack the key fob signal as well. Point being the odds of any of that happening is slim. The fact is that on a day to day basis using remote start to start the car and the doors staying locked until you approach the car is more than enough to keep your vehicle safe. There is no need to have the engine cut off when you open the door. Bottom line is this, plenty of other auto manufacturers do not make the engine cut off when the car has been remotely started and the door is opened. I have yet to hear widespread complaints of cars being stolen because of it. So there is no excuse for Lexus.
you do not need to hot wire it if the car can be started via remote system BYPASSING THE FOB ID, and if it does not shut off, when doors are opened. That is what my point was, which you clearly missed. Hacking of an online system (service/server) is a lot easier to do, and before it gets noticed, if might hit a lot of owners, partially due to the fact that it is a centralized system.. And if what you complain about, is eliminated, there is only hacking that needs to happen in order to start your car and drive away in it... only thing you would need to know is a VIN which is already proudly presented on the windshield of every lexus.

Quick Reply: When I remote start my car and it goes off automatically when I unlock the car...