IS - 3rd Gen (2014-present) Discussion about the 2014+ model IS models

When I remote start my car and it goes off automatically when I unlock the car...

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-17, 11:54 AM
danny8787
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When I remote start my car and it goes off automatically when I unlock the car...

Hi,

I just learned that I can start my car using my remote key. Pressing lock button three times and hold it at last.
But only the problem with that is, it turn off the car when I unlock the car.

Are there any settings that I can keep the car running even I unlock my car?
Old 09-28-17, 11:56 AM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Originally Posted by danny8787
Hi,

I just learned that I can start my car using my remote key. Pressing lock button three times and hold it at last.

My car's the same way. If I remote start it using Enform, it shuts down as soon as I open the door.

I think this is a safety feature of the car. I'm not aware of a way to disable it. :/
Old 09-28-17, 12:27 PM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,612 Likes on 1,028 Posts

All Toyota/Lexus remote start systems work this way, unfortunately, with no way to disable that "feature". Sort of silly, if you ask me.
Old 09-29-17, 09:44 PM
hannahchim
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by danny8787
Hi,

what model do you have? This doesn't work for me ('17 is300). I have Enform as well, is there something I need to do to activate this?
Old 09-29-17, 11:13 PM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by JDR76
All Toyota/Lexus remote start systems work this way, unfortunately, with no way to disable that "feature". Sort of silly, if you ask me.
All Toyota/Lexus' with a push start.

Originally Posted by hannahchim
what model do you have? This doesn't work for me ('17 is300). I have Enform as well, is there something I need to do to activate this?
They're supposed to program it for you so that the OEM key can be used to start/shut off the car.
Old 09-30-17, 06:45 AM
Jay89
Pole Position

Received 27 Likes on 25 Posts

I’ve actually asked the dealer and a couple of remote start installers about this. It’s a safety feature, as the vehicle once started doesn’t actually need the key to drive away. It also doesn’t look for a key after it’s been started so there’s no way to prevent it from being stolen. I honestly think it’s a tragic oversight on Toyota’s part.
The following users liked this post:
DKeezer (12-19-19)
Old 09-30-17, 10:14 AM
Jyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GeorgeR
All Toyota/Lexus' with a push start.

They're supposed to program it for you so that the OEM key can be used to start/shut off the car.
I called my dealer/lexus and they both said 2017 IS model doesnt have this feature...
Old 09-30-17, 10:51 AM
Lex_Giorgio
Instructor

Received 141 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by Jay89
I’ve actually asked the dealer and a couple of remote start installers about this. It’s a safety feature, as the vehicle once started doesn’t actually need the key to drive away. It also doesn’t look for a key after it’s been started so there’s no way to prevent it from being stolen. I honestly think it’s a tragic oversight on Toyota’s part.

If you start my 2017 IS and you walk out of it with the key, while the car is running, it will show on the cluster that theirs no key in the car...

Originally Posted by Jyk
I called my dealer/lexus and they both said 2017 IS model doesnt have this feature...
I guess I'll find out once I add a remote starter to mine.
Old 09-30-17, 10:56 AM
Lagtime
Driver

Received 36 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Jyk
My 2017 IS350 will remote start from the fob: push the lock button 3x, holding it depressed on the 3rd push. Probably will only work as long as the Enform subscription is active, though.
Old 09-30-17, 11:00 AM
Jyk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Lagtime
My 2017 IS350 will remote start from the fob: push the lock button 3x, holding it depressed on the 3rd push. Probably will only work as long as the Enform subscription is active, though.
I have an IS300...not sure if it makes a difference. I have the enform sub as well and this doesnt work for me.
Old 09-30-17, 11:22 AM
LOLjasonW
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

if it is an enform enabled car you will have to have an active enform sub for this to work, even if you just want to use the fob you will still have to have an active sub. all new 17s come with a 1yr trial (some nav 16s had this as well) and still have to have an active sub, even if it is only the free trial from the dealer.

the 18s are getting a better sub package from the dealer(10yrs SOS service) im sure that will extend the enform trial too but i do not know how much
Old 09-30-17, 01:24 PM
arentz07
drives cars

Received 3,744 Likes on 1,904 Posts

Huh? I've never heard of this. Where is this feature documented?
Old 09-30-17, 05:10 PM
Lagtime
Driver

Originally Posted by arentz07
Huh? I've never heard of this. Where is this feature documented?
I read about it here in either GS or RC forum, so I thought I'd try it. It worked.
arentz07 (10-02-17)
Old 09-30-17, 05:12 PM
Lagtime
Driver

Originally Posted by Jyk
I have an IS300...not sure if it makes a difference. I have the enform sub as well and this doesnt work for me.
Do you have the remote function enabled?
Jyk (10-02-17)
Old 10-02-17, 08:13 AM
Jyk
Driver School Candidate

Do you have the remote function enabled?
Thanks for the info. Finally got it working, can confirm this works for 2017 models. Only issue is that it only works like 70% of the time. You need to have perfect timing it seems. Dealership said 2017 models dont support this... Lexus enform said they dont support remote start through key fob..which didnt help.

Quick Reply: When I remote start my car and it goes off automatically when I unlock the car...