Help please Tire!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-17, 03:48 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Help please Tire!!

Hi guys,

I’m wondering if you can give me some guidance, I have a tire leaking air thru this very small hole I’d say it’s about 2-3 milimiters, I was told I need to replace the tire but honestly I think there has to be a way to fix it, I only have 20k kms and running those crappy Bridgestones tires that came with the car brand new.

Any trick or advice will be highly appreciated.

IS 250 2015 AWD

You don’t even see the hole, it’s really tiny.
Old 10-20-17, 03:54 PM
MX73
Racer

Received 291 Likes on 225 Posts

The tire has to be replaced. None of the national chains like NTB or Firestone will patch the tire since it's pretty much on the sidewall. If they did try to patch it, eventually the patch will fail from the flexing of the sidewall and will start to leak again.
Old 10-20-17, 04:00 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by MX73
The tire has to be replaced. None of the national chains like NTB or Firestone will patch the tire since it's pretty much on the sidewall. If they did try to patch it, eventually the patch will fail from the flexing of the sidewall and will start to leak again.
Thanks for your reply, is there any chance to control the leak a least for some time?
Old 10-20-17, 04:47 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

You need to replace the tire...there's no way to repair it or control the leak.
The hole is in a place where the tire cannot and should not be repaired.
Old 10-20-17, 05:43 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
You need to replace the tire...there's no way to repair it or control the leak.
The hole is in a place where the tire cannot and should not be repaired.
I understand, thank you all for your feedback!!
Old 10-20-17, 10:16 PM
Sango
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Get it replaced since there is no way to get it repaired where the leak is located.

On a side note, this is what makes people mad when someone being malicious slashes tire(s) because they go for the sidewall since they know it will compromise the it essentially forcing the owner to replace their tire(s).
Old 10-21-17, 06:01 AM
hexcei
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am not sure exactly where the puncture is by looking at the tire, however I was in a similar situation with a nail through the bottom rear tire and close enough to the sidewall that Discount Tire/NTB /Firestone would not repair it (I assume it is liability issues). *ALL* of them said they needed to replace all four since it was AWD with 9K miles. I looked up used tires/tire repair and the first place I went to repaired it in 10min. It was fine until I replaced the original tires when they wore out after 18K. However, if it was a front tire I probably would have got them replaced.
Old 10-21-17, 11:45 AM
Makool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by hexcei
I am not sure exactly where the puncture is by looking at the tire, however I was in a similar situation with a nail through the bottom rear tire and close enough to the sidewall that Discount Tire/NTB /Firestone would not repair it (I assume it is liability issues). *ALL* of them said they needed to replace all four since it was AWD with 9K miles. I looked up used tires/tire repair and the first place I went to repaired it in 10min. It was fine until I replaced the original tires when they wore out after 18K. However, if it was a front tire I probably would have got them replaced.

Thank you all for the feedback.
Old 10-22-17, 06:07 AM
Solara350
Instructor

Received 77 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by Makool
Hi guys,

I’m wondering if you can give me some guidance, I have a tire leaking air thru this very small hole I’d say it’s about 2-3 milimiters, I was told I need to replace the tire but honestly I think there has to be a way to fix it, I only have 20k kms and running those crappy Bridgestones tires that came with the car brand new.

Any trick or advice will be highly appreciated.

IS 250 2015 AWD

You don’t even see the hole, it’s really tiny.
repair 1st if it happen again then replace, I swear to God my neighbor has the exactly same hole on his Lexus RX350, his was worst the hole little more to the sidewall, I patched and fixed for him 4 months ago, no complaint yet, fix the cheap way 1st, don't waste money
Old 10-22-17, 07:19 AM
MX73
Racer

A reputable tire shop is not going to fix a leak in the sidewall because of the flexing. Maybe one of those smaller independent shops will but a bigger chain will not.
Old 10-22-17, 11:36 AM
Makool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Solara350
repair 1st if it happen again then replace, I swear to God my neighbor has the exactly same hole on his Lexus RX350, his was worst the hole little more to the sidewall, I patched and fixed for him 4 months ago, no complaint yet, fix the cheap way 1st, don't waste money
Can you tell me which repair kit did you use to fix your neighbour’s? Brand or pic?

Thabks in advace.
Old 10-22-17, 12:06 PM
Sasnuke
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1,735 Likes on 1,369 Posts

Originally Posted by Makool
Can you tell me which repair kit did you use to fix your neighbour’s? Brand or pic?

Thabks in advace.
OMeffingG! Do not listen to him!!!!!
I realize that's the answer you want to hear, but repairing a tire on the sidewall is beyond a bad idea!!
I can't even stress the thousands of reasons why plugging a tire on the sidewall is bad.
I can 110% guarantee that you will not find a mechanic or tire shop, that's worth their license or reputation, that will fix that tire for you.
The only way it's going to be fixed is if you fix it.
And when you have a blowout at highway speeds, then you'll know why the rest of us told you not to repair it.

https://info.kaltire.com/why-cant-yo...ured-sidewall/

If the puncture was within the treaded portion of the tire, then absolutely go ahead and plug or patch it...but where the hole is, is considered the sidewall, it is beyond the last tread block of the tire.

If you go to the store and look at the tire repair kit, the first step is to ream out the hole in order to fit the plug.
The hole you have now will be at least 5 times larger, if not more, by time you are done reaming it to fit the plug.

Pleeeeeeease...ask a mechanic or tire shop before you do anything.

Last edited by Sasnuke; 10-22-17 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Added link to article
Old 10-22-17, 01:13 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

yes, do not listen to the guy that told you to fix a hole in the sidewall.
Old 10-22-17, 02:14 PM
Makool
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Sasnuke
OMeffingG! Do not listen to him!!!!!
I realize that's the answer you want to hear, but repairing a tire on the sidewall is beyond a bad idea!!
I can't even stress the thousands of reasons why plugging a tire on the sidewall is bad.
I can 110% guarantee that you will not find a mechanic or tire shop, that's worth their license or reputation, that will fix that tire for you.

The only way it's going to be fixed is if you fix it.
And when you have a blowout at highway speeds, then you'll know why the rest of us told you not to repair it.

https://info.kaltire.com/why-cant-yo...ured-sidewall/

If the puncture was within the treaded portion of the tire, then absolutely go ahead and plug or patch it...but where the hole is, is considered the sidewall, it is beyond the last tread block of the tire.

If you go to the store and look at the tire repair kit, the first step is to ream out the hole in order to fit the plug.
The hole you have now will be at least 5 times larger, if not more, by time you are done reaming it to fit the plug.

Pleeeeeeease...ask a mechanic or tire shop before you do anything.
Thank you, I’ve been doing some research as I never had an issue like this one before in my life, usually I maintain my cars on my own since I’m in the mechanical engineering business, considering the circunstancies and also the known issue of the tires not lasting enough I’ve decided to buy the set of 4 brand new tires, I’ll probably order them online since I can save a few dollars this way.

Thank you all for your time and help, much appreciated, is good to be part of this forum.

Best regards!!
Old 10-22-17, 03:45 PM
MX73
Racer

I would probably invest in the road hazard warranty if they have any. It's a piece of mind. When I saw that my sidewall had a tiny pin size hole, they just replace them.

Quick Reply: Help please Tire!!